New Rider Gear - Gaerne SG-12?!

I am just getting into riding and buying all the protective gear I need and am wondering what boot would be best. My biggest concern is safety, I know I will be crashing a lot and want to keep my feet and ankles working. I bought a CRF230F so I wont be doing any extreme riding anytime soon so I don't know if the SG-12s are appropriate or would be considered overkill? I really don't want to spend that much money on boots but the more I research the more I see people suggest spending the $$ for the protection. 

I bought a Fly F2 Carbon MIPS helmet which I thought would be the most expensive piece of equipment, didn't know boots cost so much. Is there anything else that is considered a "need to have" safety wise for riding in the desert or should boots and helmet be a good start?

I've have found the alpinestars to be the best I've only owned these boots since I first started riding the tech 10s are the best they are expensive but when it comes to safety I don't cheep out all alpinestars are great check them out I would highly recommend these to anyone they won't let you down heres a link the the website http://www.alpinestars.com/mx/footwear

I've owned a* and Gaerne, and the quality isn't even comparable.

The Gaerne SG12 is hands down the best (and most comfortable) boot I've worn.

• Like 7

You can't go wrong with Gaerne boots. If you're not picky on color look at boots that are on closeout. I just bought a pair of sg12's size 11 for $350 delivered. There are some good deals to be had if you look for them.

• Like 2

What's great about the SG12s safety wise is the pivoting ankles. They feel natural until you over jump something or impact, then the built it stops help prevent hyperextension and compression

5 hours ago, rkulp89 said:

... I bought a CRF230F so I wont be doing any extreme riding anytime soon so I don't know if the SG-12s are appropriate or would be considered overkill? ...

I think you would do fine with some $100 boots that fit good. Save the other $400 for other riding expenses.

A friend got a CRF230F because he has short legs but it was real low on power so he gave it to his wife and got a KTM250 Freeride.

1 hour ago, wielywilly-g said:

I think you would do fine with some $100 boots that fit good. Save the other $400 for other riding expenses.

A friend got a CRF230F because he has short legs but it was real low on power so he gave it to his wife and got a KTM250 Freeride.

I've had some inexpensive boots that had good protection.  What my high end boots offer is protection and comfort. 

1 hour ago, wielywilly-g said:

It looked like any decent boot worth having was going to cost at least $200, I found a pair of SG-12s for $325 so decided to pick them up. 

I got a good deal on the 230 so when I get bored with it I'll upgrade. I just didn't want to start with something too big while I'm learning.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, rkulp89 said:

It looked like any decent boot worth having was going to cost at least $200, I found a pair of SG-12s for $325 so decided to pick them up. 

I got a good deal on the 230 so when I get bored with it I'll upgrade. I just didn't want to start with something too big while I'm learning.

Sounds like you are doing it right.

I used to get Thor Quadrant boots for $99 and go thru a set every yeear. My friend and his wife have $99 MSR boots and seem to like them. I used Thor ratchet boots a few years, they were $170. I switched to SG12 about a year ago when I found some for $360. Wow $325 is a great deal.

I wear SG-12s as well and like others have said they are great...  They may be overkill for you initially but that money is still well spent.  Plus they are very comfy.   

I have had some close calls that hurt even with the Gaerne's.   I would have broken bones with lesser boots I'm sure..  I just replaced a buckle that I mangled.. cost me $6 and 5 minutes...

As far as other gear for the desert.......  get some "in the boot" knee guards.  I wear Fox titans with my SG12s..   sharp desert rocks will ruin your day and it only takes once to shatter a bone.  Same with catching a tree on single track..   Likewise I recommend elbow protection at a minimum.   You will outgrow the 230 sooner or later and having the right gear will give you more confidence to concentrate on learning.   Also if you don't have them already get some bark busters on your bike...

Crashing happens to everybody but it's nice to just shake it off and keep riding...   

where in NV are you?

• Like 1

Gaernes show up in the mail today and wow are they comfortable. Certainly money well spent!

• Like 2