Keihin PWK 36 in KTM 2017

Hello Everyone!

I own a Keihin PWK 36mm short-version from a 2005 250 EXC. A few weeks ago I bought a 250 EXC from 2017.

Now I wanted to put my old Keihin carburetor into my new EXC. The only problem is that I have no more jets and needles, I've sold most of them or i lent it to my friends and never got them back.

So I have to buy new needles and jets. Now I'm asking all of you that have a Keihin in their 17' KTM's to tell me wich setting you are riding. So I know roughly which one I have to buy.

Edited by P.Phil

I put a 36mm in my 18 300w and went rich but it still ran fine.

Temps 80-90's 

elevation 1200-3500

N3eh #3

38 pilot 

165 main.

Does anyone have the JD Kit running in a 17' KTM with a Keihin carb? Which one should I take? The JD kit from the 2016 model?

Since you mentioned "EXC", we must assume your bike is not a USA model ( you do not give us enough information on temperature and altitude too).  Best to call them at JD jetting and ask as they know what combinations work best.

Joe

I don't need a specific jetting for my temp. or altitude, just some experiences of users that have the same bike, same carb and a jd kit on it

6 hours ago, P.Phil said:

I don't need a specific jetting for my temp. or altitude, just some experiences of users that have the same bike, same carb and a jd kit on it

JD jet kits come with JD specific needles, there is no cross reference from Keihin or anyone else that will get you a needle that matches a JD kit needle.  So knowing what the JD jetting is won't help much without their needle.  I recommend just buying a JD kit for a 2016 250XCW, then you would be done.   FYI: I believe that 2016 250EXC's still used a Keihin carb.

On September 24, 2017 at 0:04 PM, trailmeisterjoe said:

Since you mentioned "EXC", we must assume your bike is not a USA model ( you do not give us enough information on temperature and altitude too).  Best to call them at JD jetting and ask as they know what combinations work best.

Joe

Well.....I thought it was decent advice you gave as I'd have suggested the same thing..

Bummer. I wish someone else had some info. I have a 36mm pwk in a 17' 250xc. 38 pilot, 2-2 1/4 turns out. 165 main. red needle 3rd clip. Super lean off throttle. My yz250 has a 178 main, though a 38mm carb. I'm curious if anyone had any additional insight. 

17 minutes ago, Gottadog said:

Bummer. I wish someone else had some info. I have a 36mm pwk in a 17' 250xc. 38 pilot, 2-2 1/4 turns out. 165 main. red needle 3rd clip. Super lean off throttle. My yz250 has a 178 main, though a 38mm carb. I'm curious if anyone had any additional insight. 

I ran the same 36mm keihin on several bikes including a 17 250xc. Turn your air screw in try 1 turn out. If you have the blue needle give it a try on the 3rd clip leave the 38 pilot in but go 1 and 1/4 turns out on the air screw. If you're not using ethanol free gas you may need to go up to the 40 pilot. You didn't give your altitude or temps  but a 165 main seems small unless you're at 10000 ft.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

I ran the same 36mm keihin on several bikes including a 17 250xc. Turn your air screw in try 1 turn out. If you have the blue needle give it a try on the 3rd clip leave the 38 pilot in but go 1 and 1/4 turns out on the air screw. If you're not using ethanol free gas you may need to go up to the 40 pilot. You didn't give your altitude or temps  but a 165 main seems small unless you're at 10000 ft.

I'm a sea level to 3000k rider. Mainly sea level. All temps though 80 is a good starting point. 

I was playing with the as to get a good idle. I'll put it back and definitely go to the other needle. Grab a few mains before I get home today. 

7 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Using 2016 Husqvarna TE300 needle in my 2015 Beta 300RR. Recommended settings from RK Tek for sea level at 70F. PWK 36

172 Main

N8RG needle (2015 Husky TE300 stock needle)set in the middle clip

40 pilot

Awesome. Definitely going up on the main. 

It's funny how a one carb with the same needle and pilot jet can work on so many different bikes.  The 36mm keihin that I use came off my 2014 KTM 200 xcw.

I use the JD red needle and a 38 pilot. Here is a list of bikes that the carb was used on and the main jet size I used. Remember same needle and pilot.

2014 200xcw - 175 main.

2014 150sx - 182 main

1985 Honda CR250r -168 main

2002 Yamaha YZ250 - 172 main.

2017 KTM 250xc - 170 main

And currently on a 2018 KTM 150xcw -180 main.

6 different bikes with only a main change and needle position. The Cr250 liked clip position 4 and the Yz liked the 2 position.

I use this 36mm carb as a test carb since I know it works good and is predictable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

It's funny how a one carb with the same needle and pilot jet can work on so many different bikes.  The 36mm keihin that I use came off my 2014 KTM 200 xcw.

I use the JD red needle and a 38 pilot. Here is a list of bikes that the carb was used on and the main jet size I used. Remember same needle and pilot.

2014 200xcw - 175 main.

2014 150sx - 182 main

1985 Honda CR250r -168 main

2002 Yamaha YZ250 - 172 main.

2017 KTM 250xc - 170 main

And currently on a 2018 KTM 150xcw -180 main.

6 different bikes with only a main change and needle position. The Cr250 liked clip position 4 and the Yz liked the 2 position.

I use this 36mm carb as a test carb since I know it works good and is predictable.

I swapped to the blue needle. Dropped it a clip to keep her a touch rich just in case. Going to the track on Sunday. Rather play rich and go lean. I'll have all day anyway.