Bent valve test. Getting motor back into shape.

Need some help.

Slipped on a puddle of oil on the street :rolleyes:. Bike went down, not hard just felt on its side. Was only going about 15mph. When bike was down the throttle got stuck open but I killed it as fast as I could

-motor doesn't start as easy (not too much different).

-alot more after/back fire. whatever you want to call it.

-when I open throttle sounds a bit weaker.

my guesses are: 

- timing is off, but I'm not sure if that can happening from simply dropping it.

- combustion chamber got flooded with oil, but its been a few days now 

- bike was revving to hard when tipped over , maybe caused the bent valve.

I like working on motors ..but never done valve work before. still learning. 

would a compression test determine anything with the valves?

can I check test for bent valve without taking off the heads?

What model bike?  If you have a kick start bike, you would be able to feel a difference in kicking pressure.  Compression test can be done by just removing the tank.

Any chance that the carb became slightly unseated?  Your description sounds like a small air leak.

Ride on

Brewster

5 hours ago, brewster said:

What model bike?  If you have a kick start bike, you would be able to feel a difference in kicking pressure.  Compression test can be done by just removing the tank.

Any chance that the carb became slightly unseated?  Your description sounds like a small air leak.

Ride on

Brewster

no kick start lever. 09 klx250s dual sport

what do you mean by unseated?

it be something to do with air..

i called a shop to get a quote for checking the valves, gave a description of the event ..and the guy told me the bike was revving on the floor for too short of a time to be a bent valve (phew). He told me the air box could have got flooded with oil. 

Actually to work on the bike now.

New to motorcycle mechanics tho..

ive only worked on cars and small engines. Not sure what the air filter is suppose to look like ..I have learned that the air filter are supposed to be oil ...