05 era YZF forks fit 17 YZ450F?

I'm trying to figure out if some older cheap forks off ebay will fit my 17 yz450f. I run it as a snowbike in winter, but I would like to keep the stock forks set up for moto and get some cheap old forks for snowbiking. I can't seem to figure out if the older forks will work with the 17 triples. I don't care about spacing, just need the diameters to be right. Anyone happen to know?

Thanks

36968853056_4d066bdc85_h_d.jpg

No the upper clamp are diameter changed in 2010 for the 450f and 2012 for the 250f fork. Lower clamp area is the same but the upper clamping area is 2mm narrower on the new stuff.

If you're not above changing the fork out at the steering head, clamps and all, the head bearings have been the same since '97.  Just about anything from 2000 onward can be put onto the frame that way. The newer steering head is a little shorter, but only 5mm or so, and an extra washer will solve that problem.  Good a way as any to make sure you keep up on your bearing maintenance.

The Yamaha forks have a 56mm upper from 2005 to 2007, pretty sure they went to 54mm in 2008. Lug offset in the 05-07 models was 35mm and from 2008 32mm there is a bit of info on the net about this with people doing SSS conversions excluding the 05's which were not SSS. The length also varies between the models. 

MM 

Edited by MartyMOOSE

The 250f went to the 54mm upper in 12 and the 450f in 10. The two strokes still use the 56mm upper. I am not sure about the wr/fx stuff. I have several sets of forks the oldest being off an 07 250f and they are all 32mmish offset on the lugs.

• Like 1

Bolted right on, 05 yz250f forks. the axle bolt is 20mm instead of 22 or whatever, otherwise went right on without a hitch. Got them for $120, a lot cheaper to snap off hitting stumps and rocks than the stock SSS forks.

23850093008_386c765173_h_d.jpg

• Like 2