Kahleephonia-Plated CRF230F For Sale-(Not Mine)

Hey All, just spotted this one on craigslist.  Don't see these for sale too often; guess people mostly keep them, like I'm keeping my two of them!  Ad says needs top end work and lights sorted, but how much trouble could this sewing machine be?  With a few mods like mine have, the big boys are often shocked with where these sleepers will go off road, and how well they do it!!

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2003-honda-crf230f/6305892975.html

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents:

The older Calif. green-sticker "donor" CRF230F bikes without plates I've sold over the past 1-2 yrs (swapped parts I wanted for my plated bikes) have sold for more than the $1800 asking on the subject Calif.plated bike; granted, I make sure the donor bikes are serviced/working well before selling.

Calif.-plated CRF230Fs are rare, it's difficult if not impossible to "increase" the supply of them , and Fs are some 20lbs lighter and significantly more off-road-capable than the plated Ls;  the plate enables me to without hassle/worry connect trails and ride anywhere motorcycles are "allowed".  These facts comprise significant value for many of us, so in a "free market system" of supply and demand that we somewhat still have here--one would expect to pay more to get that value.  As far as I know, no one is holding a gun to his/her head to sell, nor to anyone's head to buy that bike.  The final price, thankfully, is still open to NEGOTIATION.

More than once I have ridden one of my CRF230Fs up a trail where not everyone in a group of KTM 450 riders made it up the same section that I did.  [Example--part of extended Wheeler Ridge (facing Owens Valley) trail up from Bishop, Calif.  Also, ask Baja Trail Rider about comparing bikes on some gnarly trails/hills in Mehico!!]  

Edited by BSAVictor

I can plate a 230 in CA no problem...  and if one does not know how they can pay 250-500 to have it done...  so the illusion of the plate means not much to me...  and a 14 year old 230 that is KNOWN to need a top end (and therefore probably needs more) is over priced at $1800.

If it was a 2006/7 or newer with only one generation back body parts and gas tank and had a fresh motor and a plate then yes $1800 would be fine.

IMHO

But you do win the word count contest...  if that matters.    :thumbsup:

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt

Never seen a plated 230F newer than 04 model.  From what I understand from DMV contacts is that if somehow you did/do manage to slide thru a 230F after the January 04 cutoff, that plate is always under threat of being withdrawn---which is not the case for my plated 03s.  And the price of the dual sport kit for what you're talking about is an extra what, $250-$500?

And again, asking price is not always the selling price, right?

Edited by BSAVictor

Is that first listing yours or your buddys ?  Not sure why anyone would argue that higher pricing makes sense unless you have some interest in the transaction.  It seems silly as just some philosophical argument.  Lets just agree to disagree and you pay all you want and I'll continue to save my money when I buy my bikes.  LOL  :thumbsup: 

BTW that bike in San Diego makes the first one you posted look like a complete turd...  a 14 year 230 that needs a motor aint never gonna be worth $1800 negotiated or not negotiated, plate or no plate.  Not sure why you wanna convince people that it is.  :thinking: 

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt

For those who care:

I don't know either of those sellers, just like to see what's for sale.  I guess the frame and its license-plated frame number are kind of key here.  Of people "into" the CRF230F, I'm probably one of the few who has kept his intake/jetting/motor/exhaust stock.  (Maybe I should have posted these ad links in the model-specific section.)  Many of those into this model do all kinds of mods to the motor that would encompass such a rebuild, plus more.  If you check the model-specific section, you'll see that.  My plated ones have modded front and rear suspension, instruments, LED rear lighting/signals, custom rear fender bracing vs floppy, lighter rear stock fendering suitable for non-lighted, non-plate-bearing dirt-only use. From what the ads look like, both of them would need a lot of work to be what I want, but that's how I got to adapt the two of them that I have today. Kind of a cultish thing, but those who know and like them-- know and like them---very much.

Edited by BSAVictor
punctuation

Maybe this one is the same bike as in the second link posted above that got deleted from CL, but this one is some $900 higher asking price than in the deleted ad?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/d/2004-honda-crf230-street/6313959749.html

In any case, I have been checking CL for these CRF230F bikes in my basic southern-California region pretty much every day for maybe the past six months out of curiosity.  Takes only a few minutes a day at most.  During that time I only remember seeing these three ads that I linked to above for California-plated CRF230Fs---vs. probably more than a hundred non-plated CRF230Fs. (I think I also saw maybe one or two Arizona-plated CRF230Fs for sale here in California, but those ones are not on my personal radar of interest.) 

I don't care if any of these California-plated CRF230Fs sell, or if they sell for $10,000, or if someone even pays somebody to take them off their hands.  Just passing along the for-sale information.  Sometimes people are just actually doing what they say they are doing.

Edited by BSAVictor
clarify

You can save your search and have Craigslist email you anytime a CRF230 is listed.  You'll know about every bike in a few minutes to a couple hours and never waste time searching the ads.  They do the work for you.  Never miss the good deals again.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Pardon the interruption, but aren't crf230's fat gutless pigs ?  Think i'd rather own a mid nineties xr250 with a plate.

1 hour ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

You can save your search and have Craigslist email you anytime a CRF230 is listed.  You'll know about every bike in a few minutes to a couple hours and never waste time searching the ads.  They do the work for you.  Never miss the good deals again.   :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip.  I guess I could save the (believe it or not) literally 21 main permutations/combinations of common ways people list their CRF230Fs, including dyslexic ones like "CFR230"  (I have that problem myself, so have to check myself to fight it.) Wrinkles in listing methods like that have helped me get better deals than otherwise, because such "non-standard" listings miss out on "mainstream" searchings and thus don't have the same exposure/effective demand. 

Interesting how many CL people use keywords that really have nothing to do with what they're selling--they are kind of hoping that the additional, random exposure will help sell I guess.  I do, though, enjoy randomly looking at the first page of bikes and parts for sale each day.  That's how I found my---wait for it---California-plated '86 Honda Fatcat!

• Like 1

Oh ya...  I have searches that eliminate certain words too... Like I am looking fr a pool table but don't wanna see all the mover ads...  so I put this for a search

pool table -movers

Or when I was searching for a bumper pool table I added -poker because many bumper pool tables are also poker tables in an octagon shape...  not what I wanted.

The - sign has helped me a lot avoid repetitive stuff I know I am not interested in.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Oh ya...  I have searches that eliminate certain words too... Like I am looking fr a pool table but don't wanna see all the mover ads...  so I put this for a search

pool table -movers

Or when I was searching for a bumper pool table I added -poker because many bumper pool tables are also poker tables in an octagon shape...  not what I wanted.

The - sign has helped me a lot avoid repetitive stuff I know I am not interested in.  :thumbsup:

Didn't know they have a "does not equal" function, always wondered but didn't check.  That will help in future.! Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hallzilla said:

Pardon the interruption, but aren't crf230's fat gutless pigs ?  Think i'd rather own a mid nineties xr250 with a plate.

Taking yours as a serious question:  Stock CRF230Fs are 249 lbs, with crankcase, forks, fuel tank full of fluids.  Most other "dual sports" are 20-75 lbs heavier or more, with possible exception of some high-maintenance $10,000 bikes(?)  Center of gravity/how the bike handles in real life also surprisingly good with suspension-modded CRF230.  Also has e-start.  Many of us aging folks find e-start a way to extend our riding years.  As a young man, I used to like helping demonstrators at outdoor motorcycle expos in kick-starting their stubborn machines, but no can do no more.  I was also good back then at kick-starting a heated-up/flooded stubborn XR250 after dropping it/stalling it on a trail, but e-starting a CRF230F is way faster, easier.

In the model-specific forum, you can see that even stock CRF230Fs are great for low-end torque for tight/twisty/black-diamond single-track, and can run away from the XR250s there.  CRF230s can also be modded in terms of porting, lighter/freer-flowing exhaust, cams, boring out to 240cc or more, jetting, etc., that might surprise you in performance.  Stock XR250s, though, generally to my understanding can do better in desert, open spaces than stock CRF230F.  But aren't they just as heavy?

Some people in the Honda forum area seem to prefer certain years of modded XR200s (again a kick-started bike tho) over modded CRF230fs....

Edited by BSAVictor
clarify

2 hours ago, BSAVictor said:

Taking yours as a serious question:  Stock CRF230Fs are 249 lbs, with crankcase, forks, fuel tank full of fluids.  Most other "dual sports" are 20-75 lbs heavier or more, with possible exception of some high-maintenance $10,000 bikes(?)  Center of gravity/how the bike handles in real life also surprisingly good with suspension-modded CRF230.  Also has e-start.  Many of us aging folks find e-start a way to extend our riding years.  As a young man, I used to like helping demonstrators at outdoor motorcycle expos in kick-starting their stubborn machines, but no can do no more.  I was also good back then at kick-starting a heated-up/flooded stubborn XR250 after dropping it/stalling it on a trail, but e-starting a CRF230F is way faster, easier.

In the model-specific forum, you can see that even stock CRF230Fs are great for low-end torque for tight/twisty/black-diamond single-track, and can run away from the XR250s there.  CRF230s can also be modded in terms of porting, lighter/freer-flowing exhaust, cams, boring out to 240cc or more, jetting, etc., that might surprise you in performance.  Stock XR250s, though, generally to my understanding can do better in desert, open spaces than stock CRF230F.  But aren't they just as heavy?

Some people in the Honda forum area seem to prefer certain years of modded XR200s (again a kick-started bike tho) over modded CRF230fs....

I was Joking. They both big fat pigs based off mini trail 50 technology.  :thumbsup:  The older xr250 has some retro coolness going for it, that's about it.   That's mostly why I would choose the xr.  Crf230's look like a bike made for the ladies.  Happy trails. 

Again, depends on what you're looking for.  CRF230F is not a motocross bike, and no matter how much any of us pretend, many of us are not pro racers of any kind.  When I go on a 50+mile gnarly trail ride I'm not concerned with "looking" a certain way as much as what I see along the way, what challenging obstacles I can overcome, and getting there and back reliably and in one piece. I've even removed the "pretentious" but apparently useless tank shrouds designed to look like radiator shrouds (on an air cooled bike); I find them to be two more things to get in the way and get scratched.

Baja Trail Rider runs a riding place in Baja that covers many miles of very beautiful but challenging terrain--much of it you'd be hard-pressed to diss as "girly".  Pretty much his bike of choice for himself is our lowly CRF230F---suspension-modified of course.  He's tried a lot of bikes over the years and could pick among a lot of them.  He's not concerned with Stylin'/Posing/pretending.  He goes with what will get him there and back--including up and down some very gnarly hills---in the best shape physically, most-reliably.  Check out his accounts of how many "Big Boys" with their sophisticated, high-cost bikes get all beat up on his rides, while he comes through fine on his CRF230F---or better yet, go for rides down at his place in Baja and find out for yourself!

Edited by BSAVictor
  • Like 2