How much better is an 08 ktm 300 than the 07?

I recently sold my yz400f thumper. Was a great bike but im ready to upgrade. I would love to have an 08-10 ktm 300 (best looking IMO as well as new chasis & suspension upgrades). However, i have seen some really good deals on the 07's which is making me consider it. So, my question to the more experienced KTM owners here, how much better is the 08 from the 07?! Is it night and day? Is it really noticeable? Ive also seen great deals on 08-10 250xc's & 250sx's. im going to be riding mostly trails and power-lines with the occasional MX track (maybe 2 times a year). Im 5'9", 200lbs (gym weight, not overweight so i can throw a bike around) and ive been riding for 15+ years. So would it be worth getting the 250xc or the 250sx and add the trail goodies to it (FWW etc). The 250's are all around $300-400 cheaper. Thoughts?

How much hotter are blondes than brunettes? Answer: depends on the blonde.

The point here is that either way you are getting a 10 year old dirt bike. I would choose the one in the best condition. Reliability, performance, are all going to be a function of the treatment that it has had over the last 10 years.

Good luck!

the 300 is simple to maintain and inexpensive to service or repair and one of my favorite rides. have owned the '09 , '12 , and still own a '15 300xcw. the difference IMO is not noticeable as long as the bike isn't thrashed and the ergo's are comfy

I can relate to this question.  

I had an 06 300xcw.  (same as 07)    I absolutely LOVED this bike.     It was fun and easy for me to ride.     Six months ago I sold it and got an 09 300 (same as 08)  because I wanted "e-start".    I'm still getting used to the 09 but here are my thoughts so far.

1.  the seat is a little lower for sure on the 06 if that's important

2.  The 09 turns a little better I think.    Or I should say that it feels more sporty/racy where as my 06 felt like a trail bike.  Keep in mind that I am a trail rider, an agressive trail rider at times.

3.  The e-start is what I wanted and it works perfectly on the 09 now that I have upgraded to the larger starter motor.   DO NOT USE THE OEM MOTOR

4.  If I were to guess, I'd say that the ignition on the 09 is a little hotter than the 06.  It revs quicker so I find myself on the clutch more

5.  I moved my lectron carb from the 06 to the 09 and have the yellow spring in.   its fine.

All in all, they are pretty much the same, with the new frame being more racy and handling better.   Again, not important if youre not racing.

If I had to do it all over again...   I'd just buy the parts to add the e-start to my 06 because I had everything all setup on that bike.  But if I were looking at buying one or the other, I'd get the newer one for sure.  The E-start is the difference.

Edited by Just_a_trail_rider
  • Like 2

On 9/20/2017 at 8:28 PM, RollieW said:

O8 is a little less ugly.

You think this is ugly? ;)

I found a stock, low hr 07 and couldn't be happier. 

20170826_192115.jpg

20170826_192158.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 8:28 PM, RollieW said:

Why is this in a 4 stroke forum anyways?

Edited by Paul T

I sold my 14 300 XC a little while back and have been riding an 06 400 EXC and after a little set up I am super happy with it and I think I'm faster on it. But it also had 20 hours and stock tires on it when I got it so it was like new.

What I'm getting at is they can be really good bikes