Need help please. Real experienced opinions

I recently sold my yz400f thumper. Was a great bike but im ready to upgrade. I would love to have an 08-10 ktm 300 (best looking IMO as well as new chasis & suspension upgrades). However, i have seen some really good deals on the 07's which is making me consider it. So, my question to the more experienced KTM owners here, how much better is the 08 from the 07?! Is it night and day? Is it really noticeable? Ive also seen great deals on 08-10 250xc's & 250sx's. im going to be riding mostly trails and power-lines with the occasional MX track (maybe 2 times a year). Im 5'9", 200lbs (gym weight, not overweight so i can throw a bike around) and ive been riding for 15+ years. So would it be worth getting the 250xc or the 250sx and add the trail goodies to it (FWW etc). The 250's are all around $300-400 cheaper. Thoughts?

Not n/d at all, mater of fact basically the same. Still frame, inverted forks, PDS/link off road a non issue, handle bars, seat, plastic tank........................... I had a 07 250 Xcf w VERY solid bike. Pulse the post 08s are ugly as stink, I would get a 07 for just that reason alone.

Get the XC W/XCF W, better suspension and gearing for what you're doing.

I was a top level A/B racer with 40+ (1976-2008) stopped racing in 2008.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markit said:

Mostly trails and power lines, why would you recommend the XC?

He did say occasional MX track.......to the original poster; KTM made big changes starting in 08 in the frame, suspension, and on the xcw, they added electric start ( though by now most fro that vintage probably don't work). XC did not get the starter until 09.

Joe

He did say occasional MX track.......to the original poster; KTM made big changes starting in 08 in the frame, suspension, and on the xcw, they added electric start ( though by now most fro that vintage probably don't work). XC did not get the starter until 09.

Joe

Did you miss the, maybe two times a year? I've actually raced moto on every one of my Ws. If he's only riding MX a few times a year I'm sure he's not going to b huking triples and blistering whoops.lol

Y'all are recommending the wrong model. IMO

What big frame change did they make, Ti or God forbid aluminum?

Rates and angles changes are not big. I guess you could call air forks a big change but valving changes are not, toughs are called sales gimmicks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sgprelude711 said:

I recently sold my yz400f thumper. Was a great bike but im ready to upgrade. I would love to have an 08-10 ktm 300 (best looking IMO as well as new chasis & suspension upgrades). However, i have seen some really good deals on the 07's which is making me consider it. So, my question to the more experienced KTM owners here, how much better is the 08 from the 07?! Is it night and day? Is it really noticeable? Ive also seen great deals on 08-10 250xc's & 250sx's. im going to be riding mostly trails and power-lines with the occasional MX track (maybe 2 times a year). Im 5'9", 200lbs (gym weight, not overweight so i can throw a bike around) and ive been riding for 15+ years. So would it be worth getting the 250xc or the 250sx and add the trail goodies to it (FWW etc). The 250's are all around $300-400 cheaper. Thoughts?

Specifically answering your question: I had an 07 300 XCW and still have an 09 XCW. Both are awesome bikes. The 07 is a different generation than the 09, and the 07 motor had a bit more hit than the 09 ( not to say the 09 was a dog). If the 07 had estart I would probably still have it today. That said, the 09 does have superior suspension comparatively speaking, has estart (I upgraded it to the 13(? or 14) specs and it still kicks ass. Yes, the newer gens are arguably better, but you can't go wrong with either bike, my nod goes to the 09.

Both far superior to the 400 you mentioned.

6 hours ago, markit said:

Mostly trails and power lines, why would you recommend the XC?

Because it is trails and power lines with a little mx as per OP. Should I have said YZ400f? CR500?

Edited by DEMI

9 hours ago, markit said:

Did you miss the, maybe two times a year? I've actually raced moto on every one of my Ws. If he's only riding MX a few times a year I'm sure he's not going to b huking triples and blistering whoops.lol

Y'all are recommending the wrong model. IMO

What big frame change did they make, Ti or God forbid aluminum?

Rates and angles changes are not big. I guess you could call air forks a big change but valving changes are not, toughs are called sales gimmicks.

Not gonna spend the time and list/ describe the changes starting with the 08 models, so I will let you read dirt riders description. Since YOU really didn't know. As far as the OP, how the F would you know how aggressive he is on "occasional mx " track riding ?

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0804_ktm_300_xcw_e

Joe

• Like 1

Not gonna spend the time and list/ describe the changes starting with the 08 models, so I will let you read dirt riders description. Since YOU really didn't know. As far as the OP, how the F would you know how aggressive he is on "occasional mx " track riding ?
http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0804_ktm_300_xcw_e

Joe

As i stated i have 40 plus years racing A/B level. Don't need a magazines opinion. If u need a writing to help read ktm use description. See I did that without dropping F bombs. [emoji41]

I ended up getting a really solid deal on an 07 KTM 250sx. A buddy of mine who always took care of his bike wanted to get a new one so he sold me his for $1200. Has renthal fat bars, vforce3 reeds, axis suspension. Seriously couldnt beat the price. I do appreciate everyones input. When i do my next top end rebuild, i may or may not just make it a 300sx depending on how i feel about the bike. So far, im very happy with it.

IMG_5961.jpg

• Like 3

I have the 09 version of that bike.  Essentially the same.  Regarding the earlier discussion, I had an 06 and my 09 at the same time.  I liked the 06 a little better, but I ended up keeping the 09 has I have owned it since new and know the history.  

To make an sx much more enjoyable, you need to get a good suspension guy.  The SX suspension is going to pound you silly.  I also found that an easy way to make the power offroad friendly is to pop on an XCW head.  You can find them used all day long for like $50.

My 09 has been a very good bike for me.  Trouble spots have been few--keep an eye on all parts of the rear brake system.  I think I have broken every part at one time or another.  Other than that, the bike has been very reliable, and I have had a lot of success racing hare scrambles with it.  

• Like 2

On 9/16/2017 at 3:18 PM, rpt50 said:

I have the 09 version of that bike.  Essentially the same.  Regarding the earlier discussion, I had an 06 and my 09 at the same time.  I liked the 06 a little better, but I ended up keeping the 09 has I have owned it since new and know the history.  

To make an sx much more enjoyable, you need to get a good suspension guy.  The SX suspension is going to pound you silly.  I also found that an easy way to make the power offroad friendly is to pop on an XCW head.  You can find them used all day long for like $50.

My 09 has been a very good bike for me.  Trouble spots have been few--keep an eye on all parts of the rear brake system.  I think I have broken every part at one time or another.  Other than that, the bike has been very reliable, and I have had a lot of success racing hare scrambles with it.  

^X2.

Stock the SX stuff of that era was very harsh but it can be made awesome with a simple revalve. 

XCW head is a great mod if you'll be in the woods with it. 

They like and benefit from taller gearing. 

Grab a NECJ needle from a RM250. 

• Like 1