Lowering front end on a Yamaha dt100

I have a 1976 Yamaha dt100 I am customizing. I found a front end off a Yamaha dt200 I want to use. I have everything figured out how to do it but I am concerned that it will lower the front end around 3 1/2".  I am not planning on using it for off-road use, only road riding. I know this will affect the rake and trail and I am concerned it could be dangerous. The rd200 has a 27 1/2 degree steering head and the dt100 is 30 1/2 degrees.  The front wheel on the rd200 is 18" and the wheel on the dt100 is 19". I want to do this because the rd200 front end is in way nicer shape and has a nice chrome fender. Can anyone offer some advice? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Could you also lower the rear to even out that rake?  Reducing OR increasing rake substantially will start to give handling problems.  Choppers don't turn worth a crap if you really push them.  Some scooters with little rake will turn OK  - UNTIL - the front wheel suddenly tucks in and you probably go on your face.  

At a 3-1/2" difference I don't see it happening. 1/2 or an inch but not 3 plus. Unless you can replace the fork tubes with longer ones it's not going to work. You could put sleeve extentions over the forks then bore the clamps to match. 

I am going to measure the rake and trail to see what it is. I have come up with an idea to maybe lower the rear end.I have never used a sleeve extension and I think it might speared out the forks to much. I have to shim out the wheel an 1/8" on each side already. I think I am going to modify the rear swing arm to lift the wheel up an inch or so.I am also going to see if I can get shorter rear shocks. I am a welder fabricator and  this is an experiment before I do up my dt250.

I did some measuring and found that the rake would drop almost 6 degrees. That is Over 1 degree per inch and is Way to much. I didn't realize that it would change that much. I have an idea to extend the forks but I would have to sacrifice the original tubes. Oh well at least now I know. Thanks for the replies.

Steering would be way quick.

Contact Forking by Frank regarding getting tubes and springs that will return the bike to the proper length with the smaller wheel. I do think that you are not making the right choices by modifying the bike. Restore it if it worthwhile, otherwise, find a more suitable machine/

This is not my primary bike William1. I bought an rd200 parts bike for 50$ and already made all my money back. I was hoping to use the front end because it's in great shape and the fork tubes on my 100 are questionable. Nothing lost and some knowledge gained. I will google forking by Frank because I have a dt250 project has well.

• Like 1

I have 2 dt250s and I want to make one into more of a street machine. They are fun bikes but the handling could be improved. I am doing some engine and exhaust mods and changing the handlebars and hopefully a 19" front wheel. 

8 minutes ago, barleydog said:

I have 2 dt250s and I want to make one into more of a street machine. They are fun bikes but the handling could be improved. I am doing some engine and exhaust mods and changing the handlebars and hopefully a 19" front wheel. 

Early DT's had a 19 in. front wheel so that shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the replies you guys. I have found some really nice looking 280 millimetre rear shocks (11") which will lower the back end about 1 1/2". I am going to change the rake by about 2 degrees or so after some serious measuring. If this all works out and I am confident that it will, I have a 175cc engine I may install in the frame.