Cylinder and piston replacement ('04)

Seized my engine last weekend because i put in my oil filter one backwards... i'm a dummy. Needles to say I need a new cylinder and a new piston this is what i'm ordering or at least planning to order..

Piston : https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/974/3784/Wiseco-Piston-Kit?v=533&s=47466

Cylinder: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-KAWASAKI-KX250F-OEM-CYLINDER-JUG-TOPEND-TOP-END-KX250-KX-250F-250-F-RMZ250/192304125998?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

going used on the cylinder to save some money. 

My question is.. has anyone done one of these and if so do you have a step by step how to? or know of a video on how to do it? on a bit of a budget and want to get back riding as soon as possible. Thanks for looking!

You own a thousand dollar machine, you need to own the factory service manual for it.

Why cant you just bore up? Get the cylinder swapped professionally, so its done RIGHT. Manual will tell you ring gap placement.

Its all pretty easy, just detail specific. Cover everything but the gaskets in oil when assembling.

• Like 1

OP, without dis-assembling the engine

how do you know it's the piston that's seized & cylinder damaged 

and not the crankshaft , rod bearings, damaged oil pump etc etc.

Get a service manual, dis-assemble and inspect everything BEFORE ordering new parts.

Halfway 'repaired' on a tight budget will only make for another more expensive repair later on.

(perhaps more than the actual value of the bike)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, mlatour said:

OP, without dis-assembling the engine

how do you know it's the piston that's seized & cylinder damaged 

and not the crankshaft , rod bearings, damaged oil pump etc etc.

Get a service manual, dis-assemble and inspect everything BEFORE ordering new parts.

Halfway 'repaired' on a tight budget will only make for another more expensive repair later on.

(perhaps more than the actual value of the bike)

my friends dad completely tore then engine apart and we saw that the cylinder wash thrashed as well as the piston. i may end up just getting a new cylinder to be on the safe side 

• Like 2