Chain Length For 15/51 Sprokets

Stock chain is just about shot as I'm nearing 10K miles (actually it's very shot to the point that I ran out of adjustment so I took a link out and am out of adjustment again). Looking to go to a 15/51 sprocket combo from my current 14/50. Planning to go with a Dirt Tricks rear sprocket and PBI front with a top of the line DID X-Rig chain (yes, I'm going to take better care of them this go around).

The thing I can't figure is what chain length I need. I have no problem breaking it to length, but I want to  get the cheapest chain (for example, 104 link chain is $83 vs $89 for 100 links).

So what's the minimum number of links I am going to need?

Are you sure you have a stock chain and 14/50 sprockets? Normally, a stock chain will only go 14/42 or 14/43. 

If you have 14/50, and you want 15/51, that is 2 links. Count what you have and add 2.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CRD said:

Are you sure you have a stock chain and 14/50 sprockets? Normally, a stock chain will only go 14/42 or 14/43. 

If you have 14/50, and you want 15/51, that is 2 links. Count what you have and add 2.

Well, stock chain with a piece added into it.

I know from past experience that one tooth on the sprocket does not equal one link in the chain. I guess I will have to pull the old chain off and start counting...