Brain storm for getting impeller off

Well I went to take the impeller off my bike last week and stripped the nut on the boyesen supercooler impeller. I have a new one coming, but who in the world am I going to get the old one off? Sadly it's molded into the impller. Once my socket slipped off I stopped before I mess it up too bad. It's such a soft metal. All help is appreciated. BTW I didn't think this was bike brand specific, so if it needs to be moved, please do so. It's on a 2015 Honda CRF450. images%20(2).jpg

It's already broked, all you're really trying to save is the shaft the impeller's driven from. 

Dremel or die grinder a slit in the nut, punch it off.  Heat and penetrating oil may assist in the operation.

Put a healthy serving of anti-seize on the threads when you run the new impeller on.

Dealt with that not too long ago on the whirlpool pump in the bathroom.

i-jXfWDvz-L.jpg

• Like 1

The impeller is part of the nut! It's one unit...not a nut, and a separate impeller. The method of cutting it off would do more damage to your water pump case and shaft than good... I had the same problem with a stripped one and just pounded a smaller socket onto it and hit it with the impact after jamming the gear in the back so it wouldn't spin. Comes right off IMG_1920.thumb.JPG.abb0093d80543051a620609c69963c5d.JPG

• Like 1

On 14/09/2017 at 5:38 PM, downonmonday said:

Well I went to take the impeller off my bike last week and stripped the nut on the boyesen supercooler impeller. I have a new one coming, but who in the world am I going to get the old one off? Sadly it's molded into the impller. Once my socket slipped off I stopped before I mess it up too bad. It's such a soft metal. All help is appreciated. BTW I didn't think this was bike brand specific, so if it needs to be moved, please do so. It's on a 2015 Honda CRF450. images%20(2).jpg

My 2005 CRF250R has left hand threads for the impeller nut so it might be the same way for the 15 CRF450 but that's just a guess

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

The nut is actually part of the impeller. It is molded that way. I'm going to go to Sears to buy a set of 12 point sockets. It's not rounded off, because I stopped before I did any more damage. It's such a soft metal Boyesen used. 

On 9/15/2017 at 6:05 PM, SnowMule said:

It's already broked, all you're really trying to save is the shaft the impeller's driven from. 

Dremel or die grinder a slit in the nut, punch it off.  Heat and penetrating oil may assist in the operation.

Put a healthy serving of anti-seize on the threads when you run the new impeller on.

Dealt with that not too long ago on the whirlpool pump in the bathroom.

i-jXfWDvz-L.jpg

On 17/09/2017 at 5:32 PM, downonmonday said:

The nut is actually part of the impeller. It is molded that way. I'm going to go to Sears to buy a set of 12 point sockets. It's not rounded off, because I stopped before I did any more damage. It's such a soft metal Boyesen used. 

Does it actually loosen to the RIGHT (left hand threads)?

18 minutes ago, filterx said:

Does it actually loosen to the RIGHT (left hand threads)?

It loosens left. It's normal thread on the 450s.  The 250s are reverse threads. 

Edited by downonmonday

1 minute ago, downonmonday said:

It loosens left. It's normal thread not the 450s.  The 250s are reverse threads. 

THEN....

IMO I would spray the crap out of it with PB Blaster at the back and let sit for a bit.

Then not sure how if can stop the impeller shaft from spinning but maybe put the bike in gear on the ground and have someone hold the bike and push down on the rear brake pedal. Then in my experience I would use a GOOD 6 point 3/8" socket in either metric or SAE and maybe a bit smaller than what the nut size is on a short short extension and GENTLY tap the socket on the nut. Once it feels like its tapped on good, with a GOOD racket give it a good crack to the left.

Not sure if I would use heat first but maybe or if I would use an 3/8" cordless impact with the above setup on it but I might

Otherwise, have at with a dremel and cut it out BUT use compressed air etc to keep the area clean during the process

Good luck dude!

I have tools to lock the bike up so I can work on the clutch and other gears. I'm going to sears to get a 12 point socket set this weekend.

Use a pry bar or long heavy duty screw driver. Try to use the nut as a fulcrum point and pull/pry up pushing on the fins...
Not sure if this helps, or makes any sense the way I explained it.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2017 at 7:38 PM, downonmonday said:

I have tools to lock the bike up so I can work on the clutch and other gears. I'm going to sears to get a 12 point socket set this weekend.

How'd it go?

How'd it go?

I haven't tried anything yet. Between working non-stop overtime last week and my wife just gave birth to our daughter 2 days ago. Bike is on the bottom of my to-do list. Lol
Just buy a new bike.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  

If I could justify $9200 for a new crf450, I would.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, downonmonday said:

I haven't tried anything yet. Between working non-stop overtime last week and my wife just gave birth to our daughter 2 days ago. Bike is on the bottom of my to-do list. Lol

If I could justify $9200 for a new crf450, I would.

You and me both.  I may have a kid on the way also.  I didn't plan on becoming a parent at 45.