Ready to take the plunge and buy a '18 450sxf

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to post that I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying a 2018 450 SXF. My question is is how much better is it other than power than the 350 SXF? I have been a 450 rider my whole life and is mostly ridden YZ 450 F's & KX 450 F's. I have not had a bike since 2012. Last bike I had was the '12 KX 450F. I want to make the best decision but I know that the newer bikes are making more power than ever before. I'm 47 years old vet rider B class & weigh around 210 to 215 pounds. For the 350 I've heard it is so nimble but has almost as much powers the 450? Any suggestions or insight?

350 is a handling dream.  The 450 is a power house mainly because of the massive torque difference and you feel it.

thats my opinion... I've ridden both and the 350 is in the garage.  If you're not racing, you'll have a blast on the 350.  If your buds are on 450s ... well you might not be as happy on a 350

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, steve841 said:

350 is a handling dream.  The 450 is a power house mainly because of the massive torque difference and you feel it.

thats my opinion... I've ridden both and the 350 is in the garage.  If you're not racing, you'll have a blast on the 350.  If your buds are on 450s ... well you might not be as happy on a 350

I might race again, but i believe the 350 produces as much if not more power than my older 450's. With that being said, I may be fine with 350. I want to have fun!! To be honest I took out my friends Yamaha 2009 WR250 and thrashed it around and couldn't believe the power, and it was super fun!

14 hours ago, Wes Woodin said:

I might race again, but i believe the 350 produces as much if not more power than my older 450's. With that being said, I may be fine with 350. I want to have fun!! To be honest I took out my friends Yamaha 2009 WR250 and thrashed it around and couldn't believe the power, and it was super fun!

It does make high peak hp, but you just have to be aware of the type of powerband the 350 offers. It is not a strong bike off the bottom end in comparison to a new or even most older 450's. However, if you had fun on that '09 wr250, you'll love the 350. The power delivery is super smooth and it revs forever without any real "hit" to it. Very easy to ride and the fact that it revs so high allows you to stay in a gear longer without having to shift. I still run stock gearing as it provides a huge range of speed for each gear while having plenty of pulling power from the mid range and up.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 6:48 PM, Wes Woodin said:

Update on the 450SXF...........B E A S T ! ! ! ! 

Can you give more feedback on beast comment? Is that good or bad thing for you?  Im in same boat as you were.. cant decide 350 vs 450. Im 48yrs int on kawi 450 and love the power but want better handling and less big bike feel. havent rode a 350 yet     

• Like 1

Can you give more feedback on beast comment? Is that good or bad thing for you?  Im in same boat as you were.. cant decide 350 vs 450. Im 48yrs int on kawi 450 and love the power but want better handling and less big bike feel. havent rode a 350 yet     

Contact your local KTM dealer and find out about next demo day. If you go 350 you have to change how you manage power. Can't be lazy, scream it till it bleeds. Handling is better than 450, but not THAT much better IMO. Easier to ride longer because not getting that 450 torque. IF you love that grunty 450 power stay away from 350.
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 2:05 PM, metalmachinery said:

I decided to get the 450 because that's all I've ridden. All of the bikes I mention, I bought new. I started with a 2006 Yz450f, didn't handle but so much better than my CR250. I then went to a 2008 YZ 450f (White), LOVED THIS BIKE Handled much better than my 06. From there I went to a 2009 YZ 450f, even better, sold it, but bought another 2009 YZ 450f at auction. From there I moved to a 2012 KX450f. First fuel injection bike and I put a full Full Factory 4.1 exhaust. It ripped!! After I sold that bike I took a break for 5 years. One day I was over at a buddies and he had a 2009 Yamaha WR250 and he let me ride it on a track. I ripped it up and threw it around. IF FELT SO GOOD!!!!! Couldn't believe the power!! For Real! I now had the fever again and wanted to buy. I always wanted a KTM and decided to buy one. I had the hardest time deciding between the 350 and 450. Largely in part to the power and handling of the WR250. Believe me< I had sleepless nights trying to decide. I spoke with a friend who is a very good friend rider and raced at Lorretta's, and I asked what would he do. He told me that if I ever needed to sell the bike that the 450 would be easier to sell. The power difference is only 4 hp, and for the difference of 200$ in my scenario, I figured to go for the 450. Well, after riding the bike down the street for a test run, I could not believe the overwhelming power. I knew I had made a mistake! I didn't want to say anything to anybody since my wife didn't want me to get the bike to begin with, and it costing right $10,000 out the door. I definitely didn't sleep that night. I woke up the next morning to take it to an ATV park to break it in and ride it around. A couple of my friends took me down this trail that was so tight when we first got there, then my bike started running hot and overheated. I was so pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, I knew I made a mistake!!!! Got off the trail and on to some trails that were open that had some killer jumps and a lot of up and down areas. I started to get used to the feel of the 450 power I was used to. Started to really get used to the power, And fell in love!!!! I rode the bike for 2.5 hours. I will say that I'm a track guy not a woods guy!!!! LONG STORY SHORT, when the day was over and I knew I would be riding tracks, and since I was used to the lug of the big boy power again, I knew I had actually made the right decision to go with the 450. True beast!! I need a stiffer spring in the back and I need to get the suspension set up with the right sag, But even stock and out of whack for me, It handled like a dream, better than any other bike I've ever had. NOW, once I get this bike set up and dialed in, THERE WILL BE NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN!!!!!!! GO WITH THE 450!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rcmxracing said:

Contact your local KTM dealer and find out about next demo day. If you go 350 you have to change how you manage power. Can't be lazy, scream it till it bleeds. Handling is better than 450, but not THAT much better IMO. Easier to ride longer because not getting that 450 torque. IF you love that grunty 450 power stay away from 350.

I so agree, LOVE the grunt, and if you race on sand like I will be doing soon, FO FIVE 0 all the way!!

• Like 1