Timing an 85

I have a 2003 ktm 85 sx, the timing is off. Can't match ignition timing by the 3 bolts on the flywheel, and the keyway is not stripped. Anybody fixed this problem?

There should b a mark on the stator plate and one on the case (usually at 12to1 o clock) they should b lined up, you can advance or retard if wanted but I don't recommend it.

You need to get a shop manual it will cover this and many other repair and maintenance of your bike.

As above but you need the Nihilo tool to set it spot on. There are plenty of instructional videos on the internet covering the 85 and use of the tool which is for all year models.

13 hours ago, markit said:

There should b a mark on the stator plate and one on the case (usually at 12to1 o clock) they should b lined up, you can advance or retard if wanted but I don't recommend it.

You need to get a shop manual it will cover this and many other repair and maintenance of your bike.

Yes, I can't get them to line up. I know I'm at tdc, it's almost like it's sheared the key but any way I turn it they won't line up

Yes, I can't get them to line up. I know I'm at tdc, it's almost like it's sheared the key but any way I turn it they won't line up

Unless u have the wrong stator plate it's installed incorrectly, remove the bolts line it up and reinstall bolts.

10 hours ago, barry O'Neil said:

Did you ever solve this issue? I have the same problem :(

OP has 2 posts and hasn't visited since the day after this thread was started so you might not get a reply..

3 hours ago, npm said:

OP has 2 posts and hasn't visited since the day after this thread was started so you might not get a reply..

Never solved the problem 

• Like 1