CMS_IV

2018 Husqvarna FE 501 TPS Nightmare

I'm a new member and this is my first post so please bear with me, I just bought a 2018 FE 501 and I love the bike, it's my first 4-Stroke dirt bike and even my first street legal dirt bike. Yesterday I decided to adjust the TPS Sensor and do a bit of de-smog. Well To make a long story short, I scoured the internet trying to find instructional videos or threads and came up empty. So I decided to just go ahead and tackle this project, I've worked on bikes and cars/trucks my whole life and thought how hard can it really be. Well it is a pain in the butt to get the TPS cover off, the TPS Sensor is behind a cover which is also behind the frame, there are two bolts that fasten the cover to the TPS sensor. One bolt is easy to get to, you can see it without removing and plastics or the tank, the second bolt however is behind the frame and I spent a couple hours trying to turn the throttle body enough to try to get to the small phillips head screw. After about a gallon of sweat and a million obscenities later I decided to put the tank and plastics back on and email Dave from ktmandhusky.com and ask for some advice. He told me to turn the throttle body down and go through the lower head stay bolt hole in the frame which I tried that and it being dark and late and it didn't seem like it would work. Well today after work I took his advice and it worked, I was able to get the cover off and I was so stoked! so I adjusted the TPS to .62 then started to put the bike back together, well the nightmare cover reared it's ugly head again and I tried and tried and tried to get the cover back on with the bolt in it and it just wasn't happening. I tried to stick the bolt through the head stay bolt hole but it kept getting caught on the threads and I didn't want to mess up those threads so I just put the cover back on with just the one bolt just to test the bike and make sure I was happy with the .62 TPS setting. Well I stupidly spent too much time trying to get that cover back on and it started getting late and I didn't want to test ride the bike in the dark. I did start it up and it sounded great, it seemed snappier and seemed to rev way faster. I can't wait to get home from work to tomorrow to test ride it. I will update this thread after I do my test ride. But if anyone has any advice on how to get that cover back on with the bolt in it i'd really appreciate it! I honestly would rather leave that cover off as it seems like it's only real purpose is to discourage people from adjusting their TPS sensor, does it really protect the TPS and is it worth putting it back on with both bolts? I know every part has a purpose but is the TPS cover's purpose similar to the smog equipment's purpose which is simply a regulatory purpose? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the TPS cover. I'll also be taking and posting pictures tomorrow of the work and the cover for the people that haven't had a chance to see the new bikes and the ones that are interested.

17 hours ago, CMS_IV said:

I'm a new member and this is my first post so please bear with me, I just bought a 2018 FE 501 and I love the bike, it's my first 4-Stroke dirt bike and even my first street legal dirt bike. Yesterday I decided to adjust the TPS Sensor and do a bit of de-smog. Well To make a long story short, I scoured the internet trying to find instructional videos or threads and came up empty. So I decided to just go ahead and tackle this project, I've worked on bikes and cars/trucks my whole life and thought how hard can it really be. Well it is a pain in the butt to get the TPS cover off, the TPS Sensor is behind a cover which is also behind the frame, there are two bolts that fasten the cover to the TPS sensor. One bolt is easy to get to, you can see it without removing and plastics or the tank, the second bolt however is behind the frame and I spent a couple hours trying to turn the throttle body enough to try to get to the small phillips head screw. After about a gallon of sweat and a million obscenities later I decided to put the tank and plastics back on and email Dave from ktmandhusky.com and ask for some advice. He told me to turn the throttle body down and go through the lower head stay bolt hole in the frame which I tried that and it being dark and late and it didn't seem like it would work. Well today after work I took his advice and it worked, I was able to get the cover off and I was so stoked! so I adjusted the TPS to .62 then started to put the bike back together, well the nightmare cover reared it's ugly head again and I tried and tried and tried to get the cover back on with the bolt in it and it just wasn't happening. I tried to stick the bolt through the head stay bolt hole but it kept getting caught on the threads and I didn't want to mess up those threads so I just put the cover back on with just the one bolt just to test the bike and make sure I was happy with the .62 TPS setting. Well I stupidly spent too much time trying to get that cover back on and it started getting late and I didn't want to test ride the bike in the dark. I did start it up and it sounded great, it seemed snappier and seemed to rev way faster. I can't wait to get home from work to tomorrow to test ride it. I will update this thread after I do my test ride. But if anyone has any advice on how to get that cover back on with the bolt in it i'd really appreciate it! I honestly would rather leave that cover off as it seems like it's only real purpose is to discourage people from adjusting their TPS sensor, does it really protect the TPS and is it worth putting it back on with both bolts? I know every part has a purpose but is the TPS cover's purpose similar to the smog equipment's purpose which is simply a regulatory purpose? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the TPS cover. I'll also be taking and posting pictures tomorrow of the work and the cover for the people that haven't had a chance to see the new bikes and the ones that are interested.

Put the bike on a lift when you do this

Yeah I'm not putting it back on. I'll keep it in case I ever sell the bike and the new buyer wants it, but I don't think I'll ever sell it, I love this bike!

• Like 1

I just did this on a 17 FC450. I loosened the throttle body and rotated it just a bit. The fuel line was blocking that rotation and I was able to move it over and get just a little bit more. I then used a #2 screwdriver and actually used the frame for leverage to get the driver to bite. Then of all the damn things the bottom screw was a beotch to get off and is buggered. I'm running with one screw for now.I am going to get some JIS screwdrivers. That would have helped get a grip on those screws. Being a Keihin TB, those cover screws are JIS threads.

What was your TB set at? Mine was .50. I didn't want to go to such a huge jump to .62 so i went to .56. I know it is a different application, but it made a huge difference for motocross. 

Mine was set at .58 I think. I set it to .62 and de-smogged it and that seemed to wake it up big time. Next I'm going to get the intake done and the exhaust. Hopefully with my next paycheck.

Just finished mine.  I drilled a hole in the frame bracket that the head bracket bolts too.  That hole is just 1/2" away from the one the head bracket bolts too in direct line with the top screw on the TPS cover.  Even then I had to turn the throttle body to finally get the cover off.  Since the throttle body was already turned I was able to get at the top and bottom screws on the TPS itself.  Mine was set at .57 and I reset it too .64.  I am pretty sure that what were after is the difference between the OEM setting- which is different on each bike- and the setting that best increases performance.  Realize also that the volt meter i'm using is like not exactly the same accuracy as the one everyone else is using.

• Like 2

More on this:  Even after getting the screw out I could not get the cover back on very easily.  Also I readjusted the TPS as I didn't like the first setting- it made the bike vibrate more.  I finally cut the top of the cover off where the bolt goes through so it would slide on easier.  It is still a bear to get the top screw in but easier than it was...

I went through the same thing with my FC450 about getting that cover off. I would strongly suggest getting some JIS screwdrivers. The screw heads are not phillips and if you can't the bit in there perfectly you are going to have problems. JIS will fit the head correctly, remember, it's a Keihin throttle body.

Just bought a new fe501; piece of crap!  215 Miles now.  Won’t start.  In shop 3 weeks now; Husky and dealer techs stumped.  Now tearing engine apart!  What a joke.  I’ve owned a dozen bikes over the years; never seen anything like it.  Once it’s fixed I’m selling ASAP.  I knew I should have passed on Ktm or Husky products.  Pain in my arse.  

On 10/13/2017 at 3:47 PM, CMS_IV said:

Mine was set at .58 I think. I set it to .62 and de-smogged it and that seemed to wake it up big time. Next I'm going to get the intake done and the exhaust. Hopefully with my next paycheck.

I bought a brand new Husqvarna 501 Fe it's bone stock but I'm kind of new two working on bikes and I would like to get the max horsepower out of it but it's all Chinese to me what everybody is talking about where should I start

20190322_101219.jpg