Acerbis gas tank for my 250XC bolts are stripped out? Help

So I recently bought a 2013 250XC and the seller also gave me 2 separate Acerbis tanks. He didn't have the stock tank. Well I wanted to swap the tank out that was on the bike because it was a dry break filler and I don't race so don't need that. I put on the other tank and while I was putting the shroud bolts on I noticed that all of them were basically stripped out. The feel somewhat tight but it's a metal thread going into a plastic hole. I know if I keep turning them they will be stripped for good. Aren't these tanks supposed to have a metal threaded inset in them? I'm not sure what to do. The only thing I could think of is maybe putting some type of real aggressive threaded screw in there and just only tighten it just enough? Any thoughts. Seems strange that it wouldn't have a metal threaded insert. What am I missing here. Also the dry break tank that I took off was the say way. No threaded inserts in the plastic for mounting bolts. Any ideas?

No inserts on KTMs, use a nut driver to keep from over tightening them. I maintained and raced KTMs for ten yrs never stripe one.

• Like 1

Are you using the correct fasteners?  They should look like this.  KTM's do not have a metal insert, the bolt bites into the plastic of the tank.  I haven't stripped one, but if they are stripped out I'm not sure that is a fixable problem?

image.jpg

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

Are you using the correct fasteners?  They should look like this.  KTM's do not have a metal insert, the bolt bites into the plastic of the tank.  I haven't stripped one, but if they are stripped out I'm not sure that is a fixable problem?

image.jpg.5037151ce23890876de65f6c971b0eca.jpg

No. Mine that came with the bike look like this.

IMG_9204.JPG

Those that you showed look like they would work perfect. Where can I find them? They don't show them on the Acerbis website.

4 minutes ago, lacofdfireman said:

No. Mine that came with the bike look like this.

IMG_9204.JPG

Those that you showed look like they would work perfect. Where can I find them? They don't show them on the Acerbis website.

They are oem KTM, you should be able to get them at your local dealer, if you don't have a local dealer you can order them at Rocky Mountain, or they will come in almost any KTM bolt kit. 

• Like 1

They are oem KTM, you should be able to get them at your local dealer, if you don't have a local dealer you can order them at Rocky Mountain, or they will come in almost any KTM bolt kit. 

Good catch there P. Have a six pack on me.
  • Like 1

If they are stripped, polyurethane glue can be your friend. It sticks to plastic very well. Fill the holes and after a 48hr cure time it can be drilled and will grab threads again. Of course it is not as strong as metal, but it is pretty close to the strength of the original plastic, just don't overtighten. 

Yeah if they are stripped out now,  Clean the tank and threads with some mild soap. Use some HARDENING RTV in the the tread wells when you reassemble. Be easy on it and let the tank sit for a few hours before you do anymore work.

As seen above the bolts that were given to me by the seller were not the right ones. I swapped out for that aggressive KTM thread bolts and they are perfect. I think what happened was I swapped from the Acerbis dry break tank that had threaded inserts to this one and used the same bolts which is wrong. So now with the aggressive thread bolts it's working right.