any tips for installing gfx kit ?

i just bought this gfx kit for my 05 kx250f

giDC86R.jpg

ive never done one on a bike before , anyone have tips on how to prep the plastics or tricks to make the install go smooth 

Prep the plastics by cleaning them with brake cleaner or carb cleaner and wipe down. This will help wipe off any oily residue on the plastics. If your plastics have random sharp edges from use, take a razor blade and gently scrape them off

As far as installing, check YouTube. I believe I watched the ROcky mountains atv/Mc video. Just take you time getting everything lined up and installing

I've only done number plates. However, I would imagine the same procedures applies for a full kit

Those are all good tips ... What I do to apply them is pick one side I generally do a side with one of the holes and I peel back about inch or two of the paper and fold it back and trim it off then I lay that side down if you get one side right the rest usually will be right and if not you only have a inch stick down you can peel up and try again or if it looks good peel the rest of the paper and let it lay . I use a heat gun on low to smooth out the lil bubbles and also around the edges it will help it stay down .

Get a heat gun before you start. Check the trouble spots a few day after install  to make sure nothing has lifted. If it has hit with a little heat . 

7 hours ago, project89 said:

i just bought this gfx kit for my 05 kx250f

giDC86R.jpg

ive never done one on a bike before , anyone have tips on how to prep the plastics or tricks to make the install go smooth 

That is a nice looking set! You have enough money for new plastics?  That would be ideal at this time.

1 hour ago, wielywilly-g said:

That is a nice looking set! You have enough money for new plastics?  That would be ideal at this time.

thanks guys , i have a few rough spots from leaning my bike up against trees and other objects , i figured i could smooth them down with 1,000 grit or so wet sand paper , nothing is really bad though , bike,and plastics are neat mint except for one of the fork protectors has a nice dent in it from gettigng hit by a huge rock 

who would carry an oem plastic set , ive looked a few times and just find aftermarket stuff that isnt exactly the same as stock , i wouldt't mind getting a new set 

Edited by project89

Clean and prep.

Personally, on a moto, I'd buy new plastics and put graphics on those.  Then you start with a clean, scratch-free panel to apply the graphics to; something that won't have lumps/bumps under it. 

There's wrap-specific cleaners you can use to clean everything up prior to application.  I just wipe everything down with Simple Green, go over it again with rubbing alcohol, and apply the graphics on that. 

Wet-apply works best on smooth panels, squeegee the solution out once the vinyl's in place. 

Textured surfaces, you can stick/peel/restick a few times to get the vinyl positioned right.  (Smooth surfaces "grab" the adhesive too well, and don't let you peel it up to reposition, which is why wet-apply works best there).

Once everything's in place and smoothed down, go over it all with a heat gun/sponge and work the adhesive into the plastic. 

On sleds, summer installs always look better and last longer because they sit in a warm garage for long enough for the adhesive to set into the plastic and hold tight.  Winter installs are usually done quick, may or may not get gone over with a heat gun, and start to peel up about halfway through the season.

i-7GVDvwV-L.jpg

i-JZ7V9bL-L.jpg

DSC_7944_-L.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SnowMule said:

Clean and prep.

Personally, on a moto, I'd buy new plastics and put graphics on those.  Then you start with a clean, scratch-free panel to apply the graphics to; something that won't have lumps/bumps under it. 

There's wrap-specific cleaners you can use to clean everything up prior to application.  I just wipe everything down with Simple Green, go over it again with rubbing alcohol, and apply the graphics on that. 

Wet-apply works best on smooth panels, squeegee the solution out once the vinyl's in place. 

Textured surfaces, you can stick/peel/restick a few times to get the vinyl positioned right.  (Smooth surfaces "grab" the adhesive too well, and don't let you peel it up to reposition, which is why wet-apply works best there).

Once everything's in place and smoothed down, go over it all with a heat gun/sponge and work the adhesive into the plastic. 

On sleds, summer installs always look better and last longer because they sit in a warm garage for long enough for the adhesive to set into the plastic and hold tight.  Winter installs are usually done quick, may or may not get gone over with a heat gun, and start to peel up about halfway through the season.

i-7GVDvwV-L.jpg

i-JZ7V9bL-L.jpg

DSC_7944_-L.jpg

thank you very much  , i was going to ask if it could be done wet like on car vinyls or tint

bah i searched all over the shop last night for the heatgun, looks like somone borrowed it and didnt return it :( so ill have to grab a new one.

got my tracking numbers and the kit should be here mid week , need to pick up a new set of fork protectors for sure and possibly 2 new number panels, ill see if i cant wetsand the scratches out of them first as they arent deep, there just from leaning the bike up against tress and stuff  

should be able to clean them up though 

A9Saagp.jpg

i removed the factory graphics not to long ago , because one started to lift when i power washed the bike 

Edited by project89
  • Like 1

ill get some better pictures tommorow , wasnt as hard as i thought it would be 

the kit itself was trimmed a lil small but for what i paid for it i dont even care , basically i just used this as a test , will be a new kit when i get all black plastics going to see if they can leave it a lil large and ill trim it down myself 

6VoKWwF.jpg

Edited by project89

Snowmule had the 2 biggest points to a successful graphics install.  Final cleaning with rubbing alcohol, it is the only thing out there that will get all the residue off, all other cleaners actually leave a residue, especially brake cleaner (try shooting some paint over something you cleaned with brake clean and you will see what I mean).  And a heat gun is your best friend.  You can pick up one cheap at Harbor Freight.

2 hours ago, Confederate said:

All your time effort and money spent, and not a one Monster emblem. Guess you were afraid of the massive increase in horsepower that would have caused. Looks good, go ride!

lol every single person around here with a kx has monster stuff plastered all over it i wanted something different , damn thing looks like a whole new bike now i like it. It just starting to warm back up again here so im prolly going to go ride all weekend , was high 30's to low 40's most of this week :( should be 75* on saturday 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Snowmule had the 2 biggest points to a successful graphics install.  Final cleaning with rubbing alcohol, it is the only thing out there that will get all the residue off, all other cleaners actually leave a residue, especially brake cleaner (try shooting some paint over something you cleaned with brake clean and you will see what I mean).  And a heat gun is your best friend.  You can pick up one cheap at Harbor Freight.

i got it installed yesterday 

1 minute ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Yeah, I know, but for future reference I just wanted to point that out.

ahhh gotcha , yeah im a welder so i knew brakleen leaves a residue , i ended up wiping everything down with alcohol 

• Like 1