Got the 500! But the suspension tho.... :(

Well... as of last night... I'm now the proud new owner of a 2017 500 exc-f!  After ripping it around the block a few times and scaring the shit out of everyone walking their dogs I realized before I even bother hitting the dirt or doing any REAL ridding.... this thing needs suspension desperately. 

Bare ass... I'm 250lbs.  So full geared up and with my pack... lets say a solid 280.  What spring rates would you guys recommend?  (probably gonna order from Slavens)  Also... considering I'm going up so many spring rates, should I modify the valving or does it have enough adjustment to accommodate such a change?

Also, I've never swapped out the springs on my bike before; always just had a suspension shop do it.  Figure no time like the present to learn how to do it!  How easy is it on these bikes?  Any specialty tools needed?  Tips/tricks?  Something tells me the hardest part will be setting the sag without an extra pair of hands. 

Thanks gents!

Congrats on the bike. 

It looks pretty straight forward on the spring change. You definitely need a spring change for your weight.

There is a formula for extra pounds x spring rate. But I would call around to get a expert opinion of what spring rate you need. Slavens might be a good bet to know.  

Well that's about the easiest damn thing in the world!  hell... don't even have to take the forks off the bike Id imagine... just pop the bars off and loosen the top triple.  Thanks for the vids!

Go to Slavens website and e-mail him your bike, your weight with gear, skill level, and the type of riding you do.  He will tell you which springs you need to put in your bike.  I found him very helpful (although he complained to me I over think things!).  For reference, I'm about 215-220 lbs with gear, and he recommended 2 spring sizes up both front and rear.  I also have a 2017 500 exc.

Edited by LTJ

bare in mind this is progressive suspension, harder you rider harder the springs are.

I am 230lb and for me suspension is perfect after settings the sag.  I ride rather hard and only dirt.

Haven't bottomed it out even when jumping.

I am 206 w/out... lets say 236 with gear. He recommended 3 steps up for me. 

According to a KTM spring chart I found, that puts me at the low end for that spring range.. 232 -255lbs.

Deciding... do I go sofeter of stiffer.

Stock springs dont feel bad, think I'll go softer, 2 steps up.

Spoke with Slavens and they were recommending 75/78/81N/mm for the rear and 5.2N/mm for the front.  Sound right???

1 hour ago, Drunk tank said:

Spoke with Slavens and they were recommending 75/78/81N/mm for the rear and 5.2N/mm for the front.  Sound right???

I'm 245 dressed out with tool bag on an FE501.  Your rear suspension is different than mine, but the front is the same.  5.2N/mm is what I have in the front.  I went up 3 sizes front and rear.  Was a very good change, bike handles very well.  Front and rear spring changes are straightforward, and there are several videos on how to do them.   I didn't do any revalving on mine, but did change my oil height slightly to bring it into spec and resist bottoming.  At 280, I would have thought 4 sizes (5.4N/mm) in the front as each size adds 22lbs.

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, markbfe501 said:

I'm 245 dressed out with tool bag on an FE501.  Your rear suspension is different than mine, but the front is the same.  5.2N/mm is what I have in the front.  I went up 3 sizes front and rear.  Was a very good change, bike handles very well.  Front and rear spring changes are straightforward, and there are several videos on how to do them.   I didn't do any revalving on mine, but did change my oil height slightly to bring it into spec and resist bottoming.  At 280, I would have thought 4 sizes (5.4N/mm) in the front as each size adds 22lbs.

Shiiiit.... now ya got me nervous.  I called them back, explained the weights it was gonna see again, and they confirmed the springs.  Guess we'll see how it goes when I set the sag... that'll tell the truth.  

Or maybe I'll just workout extra hard and cut 20lbs... which would be pretty awesome 😂

I would have thought he would have gone up to the 5.4 N/mm for you.  I weighed my gear and it was 20 lbs, so if you add 20 + 250, your rider weight should be 270 lbs I think...

KTM Spring Rates.JPG

• Like 1

I don't like stressing the preload adjuster to break the cap lose, I use the 2 pin tool and its superior to the more expensive 4 pin tool, cause you can break the cap lose on the bike without removing the handle bars.