Northeast Trails

Hey guys, thought we could use a thread simply for northeast USA, or eastern Canada trail riding. Here are a few of mine to get this started. This is my first attempt at uploading videos. I have more to come!

Edited by Bobatsea

My experience with Freetown has never been described as "relaxed"! Only rode there once but I remember it well !

5 hours ago, katoom64 said:

My experience with Freetown has never been described as "relaxed"! Only rode there once but I remember it well !

Yep, Freetown is brutal. Its my home turf and I ride it often.

I do the full loop at least once a month.

A good day on the bike a few weeks ago. Man I want this weather to warm up!!!

Edited by Bobatsea
  • Like 1

Great ride last week! Here are a couple raw videos. Sorry about the quality. Its filmed in 1080 at 60 frames a second. But youtube cuts the quality to crap. 

On 9/17/2017 at 11:21 PM, Bobatsea said:

Yep, Freetown is brutal. Its my home turf and I ride it often.

I do the full loop at least once a month.

We rode Freetown a bunch this past summer and fall.  It can be tough but overall, it is a pretty good place to ride.  We also like the area across the street from the parking area as it is big over there.  

Freetown is about 100 miles south from where I am in Methuen but it is nice that it is dirtbike-only.  

Clough State Park or Hopkington Everett in NH-which is only 50 miles north from me is also pretty incredible as are Bear Mountain and October Mountain-only that they are about 150 miles away, but they are HUGE places to ride.  For the 4-5 times we have been out there, we don't even ride the same trails twice other than the fire roads which are a hoot.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

We rode Freetown a bunch this past summer and fall.  It can be tough but overall, it is a pretty good place to ride.  We also like the area across the street from the parking area as it is big over there.  

Freetown is about 100 miles south from where I am in Methuen but it is nice that it is dirtbike-only.  

Clough State Park or Hopkington Everett in NH-which is only 50 miles north from me is also pretty incredible as are Bear Mountain and October Mountain-only that they are about 150 miles away, but they are HUGE places to ride.  For the 4-5 times we have been out there, we don't even ride the same trails twice other than the fire roads which are a hoot.  

I take the kids to Jerico lake in Berlin NH every year. Its a ton of good fire road type riding. They do have some good single track as well, but riding with a  couple kids the oldest is just ten we stick to the roads. 

As far as Freetown, I'm headed to the trails today for a quick rip. Helps that its right out my back yard!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobatsea said:

I take the kids to Jerico lake in Berlin NH every year. Its a ton of good fire road type riding. They do have some good single track as well, but riding with a  couple kids the oldest is just ten we stick to the roads. 

As far as Freetown, I'm headed to the trails today for a quick rip. Helps that its right out my back yard!

You are lucky that you are so close to Freetown.  I wonder if you have met a kid/guy named Matt, has a black 4 door Ram pickup, rides a Kawasaki 450-good guy and lives down the street from there and we always ride with him most every time we make it down there.  I only wish I could go today/this week.  

I want to take the kids to Jericho as I have heard/read nothing about good things about it.  My kids are only 6 and 8 but if they have a lot of good fire road/dirt roads, that is exactly what I would love and I know they would too.  I'd just have to get something for the wife to use as she is the only one with no bike/ATV.  We'd make a weekend of it as it is about 150 miles north of us but I do know that there are more than enough motels up there for us to stay at.  I love it up there and hope we can all get up there this summer sometime. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

You are lucky that you are so close to Freetown.  I wonder if you have met a kid/guy named Matt, has a black 4 door Ram pickup, rides a Kawasaki 450-good guy and lives down the street from there and we always ride with him most every time we make it down there.  I only wish I could go today/this week.  

I want to take the kids to Jericho as I have heard/read nothing about good things about it.  My kids are only 6 and 8 but if they have a lot of good fire road/dirt roads, that is exactly what I would love and I know they would too.  I'd just have to get something for the wife to use as she is the only one with no bike/ATV.  We'd make a weekend of it as it is about 150 miles north of us but I do know that there are more than enough motels up there for us to stay at.  I love it up there and hope we can all get up there this summer sometime. 

With the kids and wife you definitely want to go mid week. We don’t bother with the weekend. The side by side idiots are everywhere on the weekends. It’s like rush hour all day. 

We usually go Monday through Friday. Drag up the camper and camp right at the lake. Ride half the day then swim, hike, go get ice cream or just loung around the campsight. You can ride right from your sight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobatsea said:

With the kids and wife you definitely want to go mid week. We don’t bother with the weekend. The side by side idiots are everywhere on the weekends. It’s like rush hour all day. 

We usually go Monday through Friday. Drag up the camper and camp right at the lake. Ride half the day then swim, hike, go get ice cream or just loung around the campsight. You can ride right from your sight. 

Man, I'm glad you had mentioned it as the last thing us guys want, riding around with small kids, is the SxS's all over the place, and dust . . . . 

I'll be taking your advice and going mid-week, if we ever do get up there, which I hope to do as the place sounds just awesome and I love Berlin in the winter with snowmobiling.  

You just described the perfect day and night.  Riding.  Swimming, ice cream, camping, awesome trails, right from the campsite.  I'm so tempted to buy a new camper/toyhauler trailer for this.  I just need to get the wife hooked on riding first. 

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 2

We ride every weekend at the Hopkinton-Everett Trail in Dunbarton/Weare, NH. Good mix from beginner to extreme single trails. Mid week the Rockingham -Recreational trail in Derry, NH.

We were last year mid June in Jericho,NH (as is a 3 hour ride or us) and stayed the weekend in the cabins at the camps site. Best experience ever. A friend and his 13 year old and my son 13 and i. Best bonding experience ever and dirt biking from breakfast to dinner. We booked again and are going June 1st for the weekend to Jericho.. we can't wait.

Have a lot of dirt biking video on my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7cK... from Hopkinton, Derry, Jericho and Pisgah State Park.

Jericho from last year

Enjoy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robrobsen said:

We ride every weekend at the Hopkinton-Everett Trail in Dunbarton/Weare, NH. Good mix from beginner to extreme single trails. Mid week the Rockingham -Recreational trail in Derry, NH.

We were last year mid June in Jericho,NH (as is a 3 hour ride or us) and stayed the weekend in the cabins at the camps site. Best experience ever. A friend and his 13 year old and my son 13 and i. Best bonding experience ever and dirt biking from breakfast to dinner. We booked again and are going June 1st for the weekend to Jericho.. we can't wait.

Have a lot of dirt biking video on my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7cK... from Hopkinton, Derry, Jericho and Pisgah State Park.

Jericho from last year

Enjoy

I’ve done rockingham with my ten year old. Had a good time. 

10 hours ago, Bobatsea said:

I’ve done rockingham with my ten year old. Had a good time. 

Rockingham Trail, is at least very close, just that it is straight, and when dry, can be dusty, but good for kids as there are no rocks, just some whoops which can be fun and a challenge for the little ones.  I might go there with the kids this Sunday.  

• Like 1

I just rode the Rockingham Trail yesterday with my boy.  It was his first time on his new TTR 110 and he had a good time.  We just rode from the Derry parking area up to the Rt 111 tunnel and back for 8 miles as it is about 2 miles for that stretch.  

I clicked him into 2nd gear for the first time and he enjoyed the broader spread of speed.  I can imagine that 8 miles for him must be like 16 miles for us as I saw him staring at his right hand again and I remember the first time he rode he was blowing on his hands as he said that they were hot.  

I'm glad that they have been keeping up with the trail as it is still nice and smooth, for now.  

• Like 1

My wife and I took both the kids, one on a TT-R 110 and the other on a 90, and the wife is on her TT-R 125 and we all had a great time yesterday. 

The last two times we took my 6yo girl on her JR50, because the bike's tires are so small, 10", and she was pretty new to riding, the bike would just not go through the sand well at all. Now that she had gotten a good amount of practice riding her 90, she had no trouble on the very moist sand/dirt yesterday so we rode more than we ever had as a result.  

The trail is great for small kids, just that the road crossings are tricky as kids are not allowed to cross the roads so they have to get off, walk across with me and we all get going again.  I now know where it is time to turn around and go back the other way once the crossings get too close together as it becomes too tedious to keep doing it every few hundred yards, but otherwise, for kids who are learning it is a great place.  

• Like 1

996989298_IMG_11831.JPG.0fafd12954afb03e8947a3131b706df7.JPG2127902879_IMG_11841.JPG.3b50490117a90bd19bcc775bbcdffe2f.JPGCool! I was there last week with the ten and seven year olds. Wicked hot day. In the 90's. We rode from the west parking area. made it the entire way and lunched on the picnic tables at the east end. 

My ten year old is on a KLX 110L clutch bike. He was having a blast shifting. The seven year old is on a CRF70. Had her in second gear. Man she got cooking in second gear. Hit about 25mph at one point. Kept asking my to put her in third, I said not until you learn to do it yourself!

The road crossings can be tedious. I would ride across. Then walk back and push the 70 while my son pushed the 110. 

We will be up at Jericho the last week in august. If anyone is around will be at sight 17 27th through 31st. Will be just me and the ten year old tent camping this time.

Edited by Bobatsea

So awesome.  

We are lucky to have a place so close, 16-17 miles from home, to be able to ride.  

Thankfully most are more cautious when they see the little ones on the trail and slow down a bit and stay to the side as the kids can be nervous and wobble a bit in the sand.  

I've been leaving the kids' bikes in 3rd gear on both the 90 and the 110 and the kids have been good with controlling their throttles.  They have not, though, been good at shifting but I figure that they both will with time.  

I got out of work at 3pm yesterday and asked them if they wanted to go ride and they both said no.  I asked them this morning if they wanted to go again today and they both said no.  Can these be my kids?  

• Like 1