interesting dribble ?

so... ben thinking about the coming MXoN, and then the history of the winners and the achievements of the competing nations...

I am completely impressed by small nations that have produced big wins. such as Belgium and the UK...so I ran some stupid meaningless numbers to try to put a scale to the results. I looked up a nations population and assumed that 20% are bikers of some sort, then I took 2% of that figure to assume that this value would represent bike racers, then I took 1% of that figure to assume that this would represent top level riders...the following results is a number of riders that a nation can choose its top 3 MXoN team from.

USA            323.1 mill     20%=64.6 mill       2%=1.3 mill     1%=12,924 riders

Russia         114.3 mill     20%=22.9 mill       2%=1.3 mill     1%=4,572 riders

France / UK  66.9 mill      20%=13.4.6 mill     2%=1.3 mill     1%=2,676 riders

Belgium      11.5 mill      20%=2.3 mill          2%=1.3 mill     1%=460 riders

by the above theory, our rider pool should be 20 times greater than Belgium, so it is amazing to me that they have as many wins as they do and continuously get on the podium. and then there is Russia that by the numbers should be winning more than history reflects.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, daled said:

so... ben thinking about the coming MXoN, and then the history of the winners and the achievements of the competing nations...

I am completely impressed by small nations that have produced big wins. such as Belgium and the UK...so I ran some stupid meaningless numbers to try to put a scale to the results. I looked up a nations population and assumed that 20% are bikers of some sort, then I took 2% of that figure to assume that this value would represent bike racers, then I took 1% of that figure to assume that this would represent top level riders...the following results is a number of riders that a nation can choose its top 3 MXoN team from.

USA            323.1 mill     20%=64.6 mill       2%=1.3 mill     1%=12,924 riders

Russia         114.3 mill     20%=22.9 mill       2%=1.3 mill     1%=4,572 riders

France / UK  66.9 mill      20%=13.4.6 mill     2%=1.3 mill     1%=2,676 riders

Belgium      11.5 mill      20%=2.3 mill          2%=1.3 mill     1%=460 riders

by the above theory, our rider pool should be 20 times greater than Belgium, so it is amazing to me that they have as many wins as they do and continuously get on the podium. and then there is Russia that by the numbers should be winning more than history reflects.

20% :thinking:

Your comparison is like asking why the USA doesn't dominate in soccer.   330 million people in the USA.  Probably less than a quarter ever played a real soccer game.

You really need to compare wins vs MX bikes sold.  Though most get sold for trail riding in the USA.   Or AMA race cards vs FIM race cards.

A friend from Switzerland said target shooting is the national past time.  They are the original "Prep'ers".