Are cheap foot pegs any good?

I'd like to replace the stock pegs on the old DRZ with something wider. I see wide pegs from China on eBay for $22. Are they any good?

Do I need to spend $60...$80...$100?

They'll work fine. I had a set of D2moto $15 pegs on my KDX for several years (they don't make them for the DRZ, but the eBay versions are pretty much the same idea). Not blingy by any means, but functional. They actually took some serious woods banging and held up with no problems.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

They'll work fine. I had a set of D2moto $15 pegs on my KDX for several years (they don't make them for the DRZ, but the eBay versions are pretty much the same idea). Not blingy by any means, but functional. They actually took some serious woods banging and held up with no problems.

My DRZ has zero bling factor. I'm all about function and budget. Thanks.

• Like 1

It's hard to find decent pegs for my 01 CR250.. I found some decent red anodized pegs on Flea Bay for the later 02+ CR250's and they went right on with no issue. Yes, they are cheap, china made but they have held up for over 4 years now.

One thing to mention... If you buy china made pegs and they come with screw in studs you need to use RED Loc-tite on every stud... I did not do this and lost several studs on the first ride. Then I had to come home and remove every stud and add the loc=tite, and replace the missing studs. I have lost ZERO since then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, XRalways said:

You dont always have to spend huge money for good stucf

Too true! You can buy re-branded Chinese stuff stateside, or you can go China Post and save 75% or more. Take that, you effing insurance lizard!!!! ;)

• Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 2:22 PM, kmag said:

My DRZ has zero bling factor. I'm all about function and budget. Thanks.

I'm doing the bling on a budget thing. :thumbsup:

$33.22, light weight front rotors from China to my porch. Eight ounces of unsprung weight savings over the stocker.

Rear master cylinder cover, $2.57 from China to my porch.

IMG_20160609_125553.jpg

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 7:16 PM, Kawabuggy said:

It's hard to find decent pegs for my 01 CR250.. I found some decent red anodized pegs on Flea Bay for the later 02+ CR250's and they went right on with no issue. Yes, they are cheap, china made but they have held up for over 4 years now.

One thing to mention... If you buy china made pegs and they come with screw in studs you need to use RED Loc-tite on every stud... I did not do this and lost several studs on the first ride. Then I had to come home and remove every stud and add the loc=tite, and replace the missing studs. I have lost ZERO since then.

Can you link the seller to this thread, or just the name. My '01 could use a new pair (original ones are still on it).

On 9/17/2017 at 7:29 PM, Bermudacat said:

I'm doing the bling on a budget thing. :thumbsup:

$33.22, light weight front rotors from China to my porch. Eight ounces of unsprung weight savings over the stocker.

Rear master cylinder cover, $2.57 from China to my porch.

IMG_20160609_125553.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Only problem is those Chinese rotors are made from aluminum foil. :smirk:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Only problem is those Chinese rotors are made from aluminum foil. :smirk:

Sounds like whoever installed your brakes either did it wrong, used the wrong type of pads, or you ride your brakes. Maybe review his troubleshooting guide whit you mechanic.

Like brake pads, brake rotors don’t last forever. The rotors wear every time the brakes are applied. The rate at which rotors wear depends on a lot of variables: the type of brake pads on the vehicle, the metallurgy (hardness and quality) of the castings, how efficiently the rotors cool themselves, the type of driving the vehicle is subjected to, the braking style of the driver (aggressive or easy) and exposure to moisture and road salt.

http://www.counterman.com/brake-rotors-when-to-resurface-and-when-to-replace/

Sure, lets send all of our money and jobs to other countries, that way the government can borrow our money back from China so the doors can stay open.  Little swipe at the big picture.

Everybody complains there aren't any decent manufacturing jobs in the good old USA anymore, I wonder why?

You get what you pay for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Sounds like whoever installed your brakes either did it wrong, used the wrong type of pads, or you ride your brakes. Maybe review his troubleshooting guide whit you mechanic.

http://www.counterman.com/brake-rotors-when-to-resurface-and-when-to-replace/

I would be seriously concerned about the metal in a $33 rotor.  Chinese steel is OK for something like a footpeg, but IMO not a brake rotor.  Going cheap is not always a good idea.

• Like 1

You guys realise a lot of crap is made there right? Does it matter if the middle man like Zeta as an example is cut out?  I do agree however that buy American is great where applicable. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I would be seriously concerned about the metal in a $33 rotor.  Chinese steel is OK for something like a footpeg, but IMO not a brake rotor.  Going cheap is not always a good idea.

I definitely understand what you are saying and I do thank you for being concerned for my safety. Those rotors have been on my bike neary two seasons now and they are better in every way than the stockers, which were also likely made in Taiwan. :)

12 hours ago, DEMI said:

You guys realise a lot of crap is made there right? Does it matter if the middle man like Zeta as an example is cut out?  I do agree however that buy American is great where applicable. 

Exactly! You can pay twice as much for those rotors if you buy them as a set from an importer in the US. As I said, they are far nicer quality than the stockers. Higher alloy steel, harder, ligher and stronger with a much nicer finish too. The thickness is laser etched right onto the rotor, so wear inspection doesn't require dragging the manual out.

On 9/23/2017 at 4:24 AM, poldies4 said:

Sure, lets send all of our money and jobs to other countries, that way the government can borrow our money back from China so the doors can stay open.  Little swipe at the big picture.

Everybody complains there aren't any decent manufacturing jobs in the good old USA anymore, I wonder why?

You get what you pay for.

As opposed to your government stealing 40% of your wages and distributing them among their cronies? Don't whine to me if you continue to vote crooks into office, but this is a topic for Town Square.

No, you don't always get what you pay for, so it's important to understand what you're buying. As for good manufacturing jobs, I've worked in manufacturing my whole career and still work in manufacturing, so stop quoting your nightly boob tube brainwashing. Blanking, heat treating and grinding a rotor in volume is not an expensive endeavor.

To answer an earlier critique of these rotors, I hardness tested them when they arrived. Rockwell C of 41.

20170922_113720.jpg

Isn't a Rockwell C of 41 hard to the point of brittle?  Rotors, AFAIK, are usually tested using the Brinell scale.  A Rockwell C of 41 puts it at a Brinell equivalent in the mid to upper 300s.  The Brinell hardness for a rotor is usually around 200 give or take 20 or so.  I'm not a scientist, that is just some stuff I remember from some auto classes.

27 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

As opposed to your government stealing 40% of your wages and distributing them among their cronies? Don't whine to me if you continue to vote crooks into office, but this is a topic for Town Square.

No, you don't always get what you pay for, so it's important to understand what you're buying. As for good manufacturing jobs, I've worked in manufacturing my whole career and still work in manufacturing, so stop quoting your nightly boob tube brainwashing. Blanking, heat treating and grinding a rotor in volume is not an expensive endeavor.

You seem like a fairly intellegent person, and being someone who has had a career in manufacturing I would expect you to see the big picture.  I have no problem paying my taxes, and doing my part in the hopes that our elected idiots would spend wisely, which cleary, they do not.  With that said, the alternative is worse than the current issues IMO.

Maybe back off the coffee in the morning, you seem a little tightly wound, breathe man.  

There could be a discussion here, there could also be an attack on the counterpoint, which leads to more division between fellow countrymen.  I guess you've clearly chosen your approach.

Just now, poldies4 said:

You seem like a fairly intellegent person, and being someone who has had a career in manufacturing I would expect you to see the big picture.  I have no problem paying my taxes, and doing my part in the hopes that our elected idiots would spend wisely, which cleary, they do not.  With that said, the alternative is worse than the current issues IMO.

Maybe back off the coffee in the morning, you seem a little tightly wound, breathe man.  

There could be a discussion here, there could also be an attack on the counterpoint, which leads to more division between fellow countrymen.  I guess you've clearly chosen your approach.

The big picture? Yes, I do see it.

Japan buys Boeing airliners, I buy Toyota trucks. Free trade among nations fosters relationships that build mutual trust and understanding. Countries are much less likely to attack their trading partners. World trade = World peace. :):thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

The big picture? Yes, I do see it.

Japan buys Boeing airliners, I buy Toyota trucks. Free trade among nations fosters relationships that build mutual trust and understanding. Countries are much less likely to attack their trading partners. World trade = World peace. :):thumbsup:

Toyota makes awesome trucks, see, we agree!! ;)

• Like 1

Toyota trucks are made here in the USA st least right? Dodge trucks are Mexican are they not? 

World Trade=World Peace... pretty damn true.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Isn't a Rockwell C of 41 hard to the point of brittle?  Rotors, AFAIK, are usually tested using the Brinell scale.  A Rockwell C of 41 puts it at a Brinell equivalent in the mid to upper 300s.  The Brinell hardness for a rotor is usually around 200 give or take 20 or so.  I'm not a scientist, that is just some stuff I remember from some auto classes.

Iron, maybe, I don't know.

Stainless in aerospace is 40 to 43.