Should I buy a 250 2 stroke?

Hey how is everyone today? So my situation is this. I currently own a 04 KDX220, fmf gnarly desert pipe, vforce 3 reeds and some other mods for the woods. But I have to decide if I want to sell it because do to a gear box problem i'm going to have to split cases. I might just sell it as is and buy a 250.. So my question is how much more power will a 250 2 stroke have than my bike? I can handle the 220 fine sometimes looking for a little extra power. The way my bike is setup right now I can keep neck and neck with a CRF250R and can pass a YZ125 in a drag race. I don't race on tracks, I trail ride and ride on the road. Would the power difference between my bike now and a 250 be so jurassic that I couldn't handle it?  Thanks in advance!! :) 

A 250mx bike wont feel anything like a kdx. Why do you want a 250mxer for trails, when you have a trail bike? And a good one.

• Like 1

a modern 250mxer will likely have different power characteristics because the hit is more set up for mx. If you got an 06+ yz250 and did some suspension work you would have a stellar woods bike with manageable power 

• Like 1

All my KDX has been is problems and I do regular maintenance including cleaning air filters, yearly greasing, and oil changes. Then in the winter I check the bike over.  Maybe just because it's old or it's previous owner beat it i'm not sure but I do know that i'm already about 1.5K into this bike in just the last year for repairs and I do almost all of the work. My bikes I've owned before the KDX never gave me nearly as much trouble. I do not think that I am capable of fixing this issue so i'd have to take it to someone so that is just going to cost extra.

Looking to buy new or used ?

What is your budget in CAN$ and location ?

Open to either a 2 or 4 stroke ?

Other than drag racing, for the usage you described there are much better choices than a MX race bike.

As you've read, the KDX is the type of bike many here desire,

unfortunately there a not many current equivalents,

perhaps the BETA XTrainer 300 or KTM200 are the closest.

Edited by mlatour

By a kx250 (09 or newer) and throw on a heavier flywheel. 9 to 12 ounce. Problem solved, the flywheel will not make it lose power just disperse the power more evenly and give you longer gear pulls and make it almost impossible to stall. The only down side is they are around 130 for a 12 ounce and you can say goodbye to engine braking.

3 hours ago, mlatour said:

Looking to buy new or used ?

What is your budget in CAN$ and location ?

Open to either a 2 or 4 stroke ?

Other than drag racing, for the usage you described there are much better choices than a MX race bike.

As you've read, the KDX is the type of bike many here desire,

unfortunately there a not many current equivalents,

perhaps the BETA XTrainer 300 or KTM200 are the closest.

Thanks everyone for all the help so far. Ahahaha I don't really drag race lol I just put that there so everyone could get an idea of my bike. My budget would be about 3K so i'd have to be buying used.  Just in my opinion I'm not a big fan of the way a 4 stroke feels so i'd be in the market for a 2t. I ride on sand, dirt roads, paved roads and open trails with  a couple nasty spots that have deep mud and stuff.

Just keep in mind the "hit" and that on a MX bike it happens soon and hard. Also they are loud and make some noises that just can't be avoided

2 hours ago, Zanestroud said:

Other than that the KTM 250 xcw is the perfect woods bike. Buy it new and be done with it

I have nothing against KTM but I would  not buy one because the nearest dealer is 5 hours away

1 minute ago, Zanestroud said:

Just keep in mind the "hit" and that on a MX bike it happens soon and hard. Also they are loud and make some noises that just can't be avoided

Noise isn't too big of an issue where I am

IMO if you've tuned an already very good off-road bike into an even better 'woods' bike for your usage,

there will be way more involved with an MX race bike.

-stiff suspension, 19" rear wheel, harder hitting engine, no lights, tall 1st gear, close ratio transmission etc. to name a few.

Where are you located?

In these days of internet parts vendors, having a local dealership doesn't matter much.

Edited by mlatour

He's right with an MX bike you can forget rolling around in 3rd and slipping the clutch. The ratios are so close that 1-3 are practically the same

However that heavier flywheel will help a little with over revving

There is also strict guidelines of maintenance to follow and such. My advice would be to search around for a good used yz250 as close to stock as possible

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mlatour said:

IMO if you've tuned an already very good off-road bike into an even better 'woods' bike for your usage,

there will be way more involved with an MX race bike.

-stiff suspension, 19" rear wheel, harder hitting engine, no lights, tall 1st gear, close ratio transmission etc. to name a few.

Where are you located?

In these days of internet parts vendors, having a local dealership doesn't matter much.

I am in  Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Nearest dealer for KTM is Halifax.  I like having the dealership so if I need something small like a bolt or something I don't have to wait for it to ship

Any make dealership will keep a small inventory of smaller fasteners, perhaps not exact replacement but will work in an emergency.

If you need something more specific (say a suspension bolt),  good luck finding a dealership of any make that stocks dirt bike parts in Canada.

My local place (small dealership) can order OEM parts for any make. 2 days delivery, same as the big guys.

Edited by mlatour

39 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Any make dealership will keep a small inventory of smaller fasteners, perhaps not exact replacement but will work in an emergency.

If you need something more specific (say a suspension bolt),  good luck finding a dealership of any make that stocks dirt bike parts in Canada.

My local place (small dealership) can order OEM parts for any make. 2 days delivery, same as the big guys.

My dealerships have some stock parts on hand.