Radiator braces for a -17 RR-S?

Hi all,

Well, yesterday I managed to semi-squash my left side radiator dragging my 390 rr-s over a giant downed tree that was blocking the trail.  I was able to somewhat bend it back into shape, but I don't want to have that happen again. So...I've done some searching and I haven't yet found a product that fits the RR-S line.  What I'm after is a brace, not a full guard. Enduro Engineering says their model doesn't fit the RR-S series (fan issue?).

Any suggestions?

Has anyone had experience with these (or other) guards in real world crashes?? it appears there are only 2 bolts that secure the guards to the frame (if at all).

Looking to pick up some decent protection for my 2017 RRS.

Rad Guards.JPG

I have a set of these on my Beta and for light crashes their fine. But last year I got into a weird pile of big boulders and was ejected off my bike, bottom line the bike hit a big rock and that rock totally smacked the left radiator at 2 mph these guards did little to protect my Rad. While they allowed me to get back home without leakage, my Radiator lost 3-4 rows of flow.

While I did replace that OEM Rad last winter with a oversized Mylers unit that fits inside these guards, I’m now thinking of a full frontal guard as these IMHO are light-duty guards.

Though a good aspect of these is that you can take‘ em apart and straighten them, yet they do become weaker....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark-us-B said:

I have a set of these on my Beta and for light crashes their fine. But last year I got into a weird pile of big boulders and was ejected off my bike, bottom line the bike hit a big rock and that rock totally smacked the left radiator at 2 mph these guards did little to protect my Rad. While they allowed me to get back home without leakage, my Radiator lost 3-4 rows of flow.

While I did replace that OEM Rad last winter with a oversized Mylers unit that fits inside these guards, I’m now thinking of a full frontal guard as these IMHO are light-duty guards.

Though a good aspect of these is that you can take‘ em apart and straighten them, yet they do become weaker....

This. + a Bullet proof designs guard is the best protection.  Not cheap.  I have unabiker, and they are fine, BUT my rads have gotten mangled inside them

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jpbova said:

This. + a Bullet proof designs guard is the best protection.  Not cheap.  I have unabiker, and they are fine, BUT my rads have gotten mangled inside them

I have BPD on 2 bikes. I bought unabiker rad guards for bigger size myler radiators as I plan to change radiators on my 300 rr . The unabiker are half the price of BPD. There is better coverage too but isn’t as nice. To me radiator guards only do minimal protection. It just sucks to me but that’s just water cooling on a dirtbike now. That’s what I miss of the old school air cooled dirtbikes of the 70s and 80’s.  No vulnerability like now. The bike was also lighter and no boiling or failure of the pump,seal and bearings and hose. The bikes were way slimmer too. Vibration was way more though.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

15 hours ago, gqelements said:

Has anyone had experience with these (or other) guards in real world crashes?? it appears there are only 2 bolts that secure the guards to the frame (if at all).

Looking to pick up some decent protection for my 2017 RRS.

Rad Guards.JPG

I had an earlier version of these on my 09 525 Beta. I fell and it bent but wighout it would be way worse. You can adapt some other front guards to these to improve coverage if you have these on already. It’s just adding front guards to these.