RK TEK head for '18 TX 300. Question...

2018 TX 300:

I'm currently experiencing some detonation under load.  My current mods are as follows:

-RK TEK head

-Lectron Carb

-Moto tassanari- vforce

-FMF gnarly, 2.1 turbine

Does the RK head raise compression?  Do I now have to run race gas to compensate for the RK Tek head?

I am running the exact same mods as you with the exception of my bike being a 2017 Husqvarna TX300.. I am running the 4-2 Meting rod set at 1.996" I did have the 4-2 rod set at 2.002 and had some slight detonation which felt like pipe bang. Leaned it out to 1.996" and it is near perfect....

By the way it was running i leaned it out by a quarter turn on the Metering rod and it runs perfect...I am now at 1.996" on the Metering Rod.The plug looks good as well....

Pipe bang and detonation are two completely different issues that I think are getting mistaken for each other. Detonation is pre-ignition, pipe-bang is normally cause by a rich condition. 

Pipe bang is annoying but harmless. Some won't even notice that they have it. 

Pre-ignition is deadly. Your piston wash will tell you if you are truly detonating, it will look "specky". It also is much louder and a more concern making sound, it's like someone dropped a handful off marbles in your top end, if the detonation is bad enough you can torch a hole in your piston. Common signs are spark plugs coming loose or breaking.  

2018 TX 300:
I'm currently experiencing some detonation under load.  My current mods are as follows:
-RK TEK head
-Lectron Carb
-Moto tassanari- vforce
-FMF gnarly, 2.1 turbine

Does the RK head raise compression?  Do I now have to run race gas to compensate for the RK Tek head?

When I talked to Kelsey he asked what fuel I planned on running I told him I was either running 92 ethanol free,VP T2 or AV gas. We talked for a good 30 mins have you called and talked to him?

I have a 2017 TX300 and I have had to run a race gas mix from day one and that is with the stock head.  I have a thread on this and there are others having the same problem.  I just went to an S3 head with low altitude insert and still have to run race gas.  Figure if I am going to have to run it, might as well go for broke... 

I have a 2017 TX300 and I have had to run a race gas mix from day one and that is with the stock head.  I have a thread on this and there are others having the same problem.  I just went to an S3 head with low altitude insert and still have to run race gas.  Figure if I am going to have to run it, might as well go for broke... 

Can you link the thread please I would like to read through it. Thanks

I am running the exact same mods as you with the exception of my bike being a 2017 Husqvarna TX300.. I am running the 4-2 Meting rod set at 1.996" I did have the 4-2 rod set at 2.002 and had some slight detonation which felt like pipe bang. Leaned it out to 1.996" and it is near perfect....

For clarification purposes, going from 2.002 to 1.996 richen's it up, it doesn't lean it out. The less of the rod that is showing, the richer the setting. :thumbsup:
  • Like 3

I just watched the Lectron video again for clarification. You are correct, shortening the rod ritchens. I thought it was the other way to richen. Thanks KennyMc for clearing that up....

• Like 1

It looks like I was finally able to correct my issue that required me to run race fuel. After trying all kinds of jetting combinations, different head compression inserts, I called JD jetting to see if they had any insight, as I used their jet kit and was thinking it was carb related somehow. So after a lengthy discussion about my symptoms of pinging at steady throttle using anything but strait 110 octane race gas...they thought it sounded like an intake air leak after the carb. I did at one point install a Vforce4 reed cage (had one on my gas gas) as I heard the OEM cages had manufacturing issues. JD recommended to go back to the OEM reed cage and put in new gaskets and check the boot for holes or cracks and make sure it is sealed tight. We'll that made a dramatic difference. Bike ran cleaner, smoother and even stronger and was way less noisy than before. I put in 93 octane and took it for 30 min ride and all seems well. So I must have had an air leak somewhere in the reed cage or gaskets which caused a lean condition at part throttle causing detonation. I can't believe I didn't think about this sooner. 

Dump your VForce reed cage and go back to OEM, cleared my issue 100%

19 hours ago, 95jersey said:

Dump your VForce reed cage and go back to OEM, cleared my issue 100%

LOL! I think you just had a bad one. The VForce cleared up a lot of issues with people, including mine.

So glad you finally got your issue solved though! That was frustrating I bet!

IMG_0822.jpg
That’s the stock reed cage from my 17. I thought it was running fine but had a really hard time starting in the cold. Had the carb apart checking jetting and pulled reeds out to just check them out and found the huge gap. Ordered v force and fires up immediately when cold. Riding tomorrow for the first time with the v force.

don't forget the Rad valve is available now too guys... RAD-42E 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017 at 6:58 PM, naeve44 said:

IMG_0822.jpg
That’s the stock reed cage from my 17. I thought it was running fine but had a really hard time starting in the cold. Had the carb apart checking jetting and pulled reeds out to just check them out and found the huge gap. Ordered v force and fires up immediately when cold. Riding tomorrow for the first time with the v force.

Mine is the same way (light can be seen) but runs great.  Starts no problem in cold and idles great.  It runs way better with much better bottom end, but a little loss up top which is OK.

As an engineer I always laugh when people assume they have bad reeds because they see light from a little static petal lift. When the engine is running, the crank compresses the air inside the case, in turn sealing the reeds (think check valve).  In other words as the pressure in the crank increases the air that was sucked in will try going backwards through the reeds, and when it does the reeds will seal right up, resulting in the aforementioned pressure increase.  All the people that tossed the factory reeds because they saw light wasted a ton of money they could have spent on gas, oil and ride time.  If the cage was warped, that's another story, as the pedals may not be able to seal when pressed against the cage, but even then its not likely to cause a massive loss of power (unless you crack or lose a pedal), and not likely to cause pinging as it would cause a loss of compression to due less of air being able to enter the cyclinder and also poorer scavenging of exhaust gases. Static pedal lift seen in the above photo is not an issue though.

• Like 2

So, most of it is hysterics probably, would explain the majority of these guys being happy running stock set-up. I will still run a boyesen or VF4.

The frame on mine is not flat causing it not to seal. I wasn’t claiming I was losing power anywhere. It was really hard to start when it was near freezing and now fires right up. That’s not the first time I’ve heard your explanation and fully agree with it. I’m not looking for more power. This 300 has an amazing motor and with the rekluse it’s perfect.

For what it's worth my '17 TX300 with Lectron, California 91 E10, stock pipe, stock reeds, stock head pinged under load from 1/3 throttle on as the motor revved from the 1/2 way point to sign off. All I had to do was richen up the power jet on the Lectron. The power jet kicks in pretty much right at that point I was hearing the ping. A quarter turn out on the power jet and the ping is gone. 

I am chasing a problem with the low end tourqe however so I am thinking about getting the RK Tek head to increase compression. I may switch to AvGas too.