Is going from a 125 to 450 to much

I just sold my kx125 and im looking into a 250 4 stroke cuz i like 4 strokes a lot more

But a 450 recently came up for a good price its a 2007 kx450f im just wondering if its to much of a jump

450 weighs 220 dry and my 125 weighs 202 dry so it doesnt seem super big weight wise

Ive ridden all sized bikes so i have a rough idea what the power will be like but does it get to much over time? Would a fly wheel weight tame it down a lot?

I am 16 6'1 and 165 lbs and will be riding 98 percent trails

People will tell you it's fine, people will tell you it's not.

Personally, I like the 450s ability to lift the front quickly at all speeds, in comparison to smaller bikes

Not that it matters much but I don't think your 125 is 202, and I'm damned sure that 450 is more like 250lbs it's always been the tank of the 450 class

Also more important than the weight difference is where the bikes carries the weight, a 450 is heavier up high.

And one last thing.

If you bought a 450, and your twin brother bought the 250, and you always rode together, at exactly the same pace, the 450 would last longer, he was wringing out the 250, and the 450 not as much.

Edited by EnglertRacing
  • Like 1

I just sold my kx125 and im looking into a 250 4 stroke cuz i like 4 strokes a lot more But a 450 recently came up for a good price its a 2007 kx450f im just wondering if its to much of a jump

450 weighs 220 dry and my 125 weighs 202 dry so it doesnt seem super big weight wise

Ive ridden all sized bikes so i have a rough idea what the power will be like but does it get to much over time? Would a fly wheel weight tame it down a lot?

I am 16 6'1 and 165 lbs and will be riding 98 percent trails

I am 18, 6'2 and 150lbs and I just find 450's to be too much for me. But that's just me. I also ride a 125 that's pretty heavily modified (big bore, bigger carb, etc). I ride desert, (track and almost everything you can think of!) so we have a lot of everything, technical hill climbs, wide open, single track, etc. I just love ripping this thing around getting dirty looks from people riding bigger bikes!

Why did you not like the 125? I have buddies that went to 4 strokes because of the fact they didn't know how to ride 2 strokes in the power band. Did you lug it a lot or ride it wide open?

Just take into consideration, a 450 is about 4x bigger, and 60 pounds heavier than the 125 you came off of. Also, a fly wheel weight won't reduce the power, it will just make more of the hit towards the top of the revs (give you a little more low end grunt as well along with lower lugging speeds).

Just take into consideration the terrain you ride as well. I would say go test it out, if you can, maybe take it on a trail you ride a lot as a test (if you can) and seriously try to think about it. If it seems like too much, I would seriously consider a 250.

I am 18, 6'2 and 150lbs and I just find 450's to be too much for me. But that's just me. I also ride a 125 that's pretty heavily modified (big bore, bigger carb, etc). I ride desert, (track and almost everything you can think of!) so we have a lot of everything, technical hill climbs, wide open, single track, etc. I just love ripping this thing around getting dirty looks from people riding bigger bikes!

Why did you not like the 125? I have buddies that went to 4 strokes because of the fact they didn't know how to ride 2 strokes in the power band. Did you lug it a lot or ride it wide open?

Just take into consideration, a 450 is about 4x bigger, and 60 pounds heavier than the 125 you came off of. Also, a fly wheel weight won't reduce the power, it will just make more of the hit towards the top of the revs (give you a little more low end grunt as well along with lower lugging speeds).

Just take into consideration the terrain you ride as well. I would say go test it out, if you can, maybe take it on a trail you ride a lot as a test (if you can) and seriously try to think about it. If it seems like too much, I would seriously consider a 250.

I enjoy riding 2 strokes and im not horrible at riding them the biggest factor for me is the mileage from a 2 stroke it wasnt bad if it was just bombing around pits and stuff but i have a couple friends with dual zports and like explorimg and i just feel limited to how far i can go

Personally, I like the 450s ability to lift the front quickly at all speeds, in comparison to smaller bikes
Not that it matters much but I don't think your 125 is 202, and I'm damned sure that 450 is more like 250lbs it's always been the tank of the 450 class
Also more important than the weight difference is where the bikes carries the weight, a 450 is heavier up high.

And one last thing.
If you bought a 450, and your twin brother bought the 250, and you always rode together, at exactly the same pace, the 450 would last longer, he was wringing out the 250, and the 450 not as much.
Does the 450 become to much on trails for you or do you find it ok

29 minutes ago, 99kx125 said:
1 hour ago, EnglertRacing said:

And one last thing.

That's down to the individual,

Your trails, skills.

And to some extent the exact bike...

Suspension setup, motor characteristics.

To me, a 450 with a heavy flywheel and proper suspension setup for ones skill level, and average speed is the ideal all around bike. But I'm 6ft 1, 200....

I'd ask why you want an motocross bike for riding in trails?  Get an enduro bike.  WR-F, YZ-FX, YZ-X, XC-F, XCF-W, EXC-F, XC, XC-W, EXC,  FX, FE, TX, TE, etc....  Today there are way too many good enduro bikes out there to be buying an MX bike for 100% woods use in my opinion.  

It sounds like you have enough skill and experience to ride the 450.  It's just a matter if you'd enjoy a 250 or 450 more and I think that comes down to the terrain.  On tighter single track I think most people would enjoy the 250 better.  On more open desert type trails the 450 might be a better fit.  What type of terrain are you riding?

Then again, if your budget allows you can split the difference and get a KTM or Husky 350.  More peak horsepower than a Honda 450, but spread over a much wider RPM range making it easier to ride and a chassis that feels more like a 250 than a 450.

Doc

• Like 1

I went from a 2016 700r Raptor to a 07 CRF 450 Honda and I got to say it's a lot to handle iv already broke my leg in three places I'd like to trade it for a 250 Honda. If you're a small person like me 5foot 7 and 155lbs a 450 dirtbike is hard to handle but I'm getting around to it but I'd rather a 250.

• Like 1

My 450 tends to sit more often than not for trail rides .. I prefer the yz250 ten fold over the 450 for single track and other tight ish .. the 450 is just a lot of work and needs to be muscled more than anything .. for me the yz250 is just fun as shit .. but that's just one guys opinion
  • Like 1