Gearing and other suggestions for my 2008 yz250f

I am hoping to get some tips and advice on my recent purchase of a 2008 yz 250f. Before this bike I had an 02 wr426f. I switched to get a lighter bike that would be better suited for tighter trails and the track, and can definitely notice the obvious differences between the wr and yz. I am a novice at best, and am not an adrenaline junky either. I plan to do another hare scramble next year with the yz 250f after I get used to this bike. There is obviously a huge difference from the 426, and am wondering if i can close the gap between the two while maintaining some of the feel of the yz. Does this make any sense???

Do you have any suggestions on gearing or anything else that would help "smooth" out the low end power? I realize its already less intense than the bikes 2 stroke counterpart, but still wondering if there is anything that can be done? I do not need instant ripping power simply based on my riding style, but at the same time am not looking to putz through the trails and track. I was thinking of going up 1 tooth on the front sprocket, but from what I have read am now slightly concerned about that on the tighter trails that I ride. I don't feel the need to be the fastest rider on the trails or under any illusion that I will be getting "discovered" by anyone lol. I am 35 years old and weigh about 170lbs. I had considered dropping down to a 125, but think it wouldn't handle my weight well or might not hang in some of terrain that I occasionally ride. 

I appreciate any constructive advice!

By your description, before changing the final drive ratio too much I'd say get a heavier flywheel.

You still have the same HP on top, just take a bit longer to get there,

made my CRF250X much more tractable and pretty much stall proof.

• Like 1

By your description, before changing the final drive ratio too much I'd say get a heavier flywheel.

You still have the same HP on top, just take a bit longer to get there,
made my CRF250X much more tractable and pretty much stall proof.

Thank you! Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Much appreciated

Another suggestion would be the Rekluse auto clutch.  Some guys run that instead of the FWW.  You still get the quick snap of the YZ with more flexibility when you get into really tight woods or rocks and hills.

Edited by ronbuell
  • Like 1

Another suggestion would be the Rekluse auto clutch.  Some guys run that instead of the FFW.  You still get the quick snap of the YZ with more flexibility when you get into really tight woods or rocks and hills.

I think I'm going to try out the flywheel weight. The Rekluse was something I was thinking about when time comes to replace my clutch. Maybe at that point I'll remove the fww and get that snap back.
  • Like 1