KROC's crash! Only serious step in

I would like to see a serious discussion on the matter. This may be a learning experience for me.

I have seen a few breadcrumbs dropped in other threads about it, so i would rather start a thread to see real, plausible explanations before the 2nd page.

What I have heard follows;

The Honda rear end was a source of contention with MXA for it had a tendancy to pogo. Now that very well could have been from limp stock spring rates front and rear, i don't know. What i do know is i personally thought Kenny landed long, just past the flat, to what appears preload the suspension for the next set of rhythm. Did he feel he was getting more than he bargained for and just bailed?

Pingree and Emig thought his right boot got ripped off by a rut. Don't see it as he looked like he went for the Superman on purpose.

I heard it was his body positioning on take off

So we have:

Rut

Suspension

Body positioning

Spotting landing for rhythm 

I agree with your comment that he jumped long, and got pogoed, bailed instead of riding it out.  Just a guess, but me and my brother just talked about this yesterday, interested in hearing what everyone else has for input.

Pushing the limits...racing hard....making time....over jumped......it happens.

Bigger question....where does it stop....3 deaths per year. ? 6 wheel chairs ?

Not a fan of SX but it's winning over MX and it will ruin both in the long run

• Like 6

Where is the video evidence we can use to investigate this matter?

My very truthful and honest opinion like most things I post... He jumped long. Got scared, didn't try to ride it out because he was stepping off the bike with good results. Instinct was to step off when he should have just manned up. In 2015 sx he smacked his face and jaw landing too short. This would have been similar to the landing and the quick decision to save his face became the same one to spite his nose. In this case left upper extremity.

I saw an interview with Roczen while he was recovering that talked about it a little.  I remember him saying it was the scariest crash he ever had because he had no idea what went wrong.  He thought he hit his line and was going to get around Seely I think it was.  Then all of a sudden he got booted and had no idea what happened.  Personally I think he hit a G-d out rut that was too gnarly to use for quading that section since he had to seat bounce the take off. :excuseme:

• Like 3

I remembered it wrong.  Anyway, here it is...

Edited by kurbe397
  • Like 2

Cupped out rut plus overjumped into it. Looks like he coulda panic revved and held on to the bike but hard to tell. He must not have thought so. From that altitude ditching the bike mustve been a last resort. 

He successfully bailed the race before. When stressed, habit takes over. In this case I think he should have stayed on the bike. He literally launched himself off that thing, and it looked totally landable. 

RC is a great example of a rider who refused to bail. My role model. 

• Like 1

Ya 2 bails in a very short amount of time. The one at MEC i could see cause he exited the corner crossed up so fair enough. Landing long to get that pre load and just boot the next section, he does that in he sleep!

I appreciate you guys being cool

• Like 1

A comedy of errors... jumped long, hit a kicker, bailed and went splat right in to the face of another jump. Change away any of those and he probably would have been fine. 

• Like 2

Look at the 1:00 -1:05  Mark on that video, he did not jump too far into the jump that ejected him. On my phone it looked like a perfect entry. 

36 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Look at the 1:00 -1:05  Mark on that video, he did not jump too far into the jump that ejected him. On my phone it looked like a perfect entry. 

I think you are right. It is like a skier banging a mogul field though, on the film the speed, approach, and skis look fine but it does not capture the messed up rhythm, the very slight things that are off, and the rider's perception that will lead to a bad crash.

• Like 2

I think the Vegas get off tells the story a little better than Anahiem. Other people will have their own view but I don't think his tuner has set enough rebound damping in the shock. They are entrenched in fast rebound in other places that they havpe not dialed in to what I refer to as "cover your ass suspension".  In other words enough rebound for the real big hits, big mistakes, etc. The pros become so good at downsiding jumps (hitting the sweet spot) that their tuners get lulled to sleep so to speak and are seldom presented with the scenerio where the rider actually needs more for those "oh shit" moments....at that point it's too late....

• Like 2

My take on the bailing vs staying on thing has been the same since I first saw the crash. I don't think he had much of a chance to really stay with the bike, or at least not in a way that would have been better. In the video above look at the way his body is launched compared to the bike at 1:03- 1:05. It looks like almost immediately him and the bike are on 2 different trajectories. Both of them are rotating forward but the bike is flying much lower and Ken extends himself to the limit to try and stop the rotation. He keeps going up and forward while the bike is diving and rotating forward. I just cannot imagine how he could have held on and braced for an impact with his weight launching away from the bike that was nose diving away from him.

It really looks to me that if he tried to hold on he would have smashed into the ground wayyy heavy on the front wheel, barely attached to the bike, and with the weight on the bike in tow. I'm thinking a hammer and nail scenario with Ken being the nail and the Honda being the hammer if he tried to hang on.

Edited by Metal and Dirt
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Metal and Dirt said:

My take on the bailing vs staying on thing has been the same since I first saw the crash. I don't think he had much of a chance to really stay with the bike, or at least not in a way that would have been better. In the video above look at the way his body is launched compared to the bike at 1:03- 1:05. It looks like almost immediately him and the bike are on 2 different trajectories. Both of them are rotating forward but the bike is flying much lower and Ken extends himself to the limit to try and stop the rotation. He keeps going up and forward while the bike is diving and rotating forward. I just cannot imagine how he could have held on and braced for an impact with his weight launching away from the bike that was nose diving away from him.

It really looks to me that if he tried to hold on he would have smashed into the ground wayyy heavy on the front wheel, barely attached to the bike, and with the weight on the bike in tow. I'm thinking a hammer and nail scenario with Ken being the nail and the Honda being the hammer if he tried to hang on.

I'm of the same belief. He did exactly what he had to do, to minimize his injuries. Nothing could be done to eliminate any or all injuries though.

• Like 2

I think the seat popped him up and the rest was history, I don't think he could have stayed with the bike for 1000000$

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

I'm of the same belief. He did exactly what he had to do, to minimize his injuries. Nothing could be done to eliminate any or all injuries though.

The fact that he came out of that without a broken neck or some sort of internal injury shows his instincts did what they had to do I believe.

For him, I'm sure it all happened in a flash too. No thought, just the body trying to fly without wings.

The crash where he bailed at the MEC. I think that was the race? Was not as out of control as his Anaheim one. You could see how much more deliberate his actions were. Plus him keeping his hips below his shoulders is telling in that crash.