Who is running a Rebound Separator Valve?

Who is running a Rebound Separator valve on their Showa 50mm shock (DRZ in this case) and how did it influence your choice for your compression shim stack? I'm guessing the KYB might be applicable too.

http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/REBOUND_SEPARATOR.html

TIA! :)

@Terry Hay

Edited by Bermudacat
Add linky & @Terry Hay

I have one on my 2013 kx450f.  Can't really be of much help cause I recalled so many times but its nice to,be able to adjust one channel and not mess up the others.  If you want something trick for same price dayusmc.gmail.com I don't remember his site but his name is Kyle day has a titanium one for same price.

Edited by pavetim
  • Like 2

On the DRZ run a 1.4mm bleed. Normally you would drop a couple of low speed shims (2 x .20 x 44) in order to accommodate the additional force provided by the RSV. This is once you have a good valving set up. On a normal shock say YZf 250....I would use a 2mm bleed with the same low speed compensation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry Hay said:

On the DRZ run a 1.4mm bleed. Normally you would drop a couple of low speed shims (2 x .20 x 44) in order to accommodate the additional force provided by the RSV. This is once you have a good valving set up. On a normal shock say YZf 250....I would use a 2mm bleed with the same low speed compensation.

So drop a few low speed and carry on with the rest of the stack? Looks like RT here in the States sells the 1.5mm bleed, so call or email for a 1.4mm it seems

I was fixing to load the stack a little more , but it sounds like I don't need to add any shims in with the RSV, and pull two low speed?

This is being set up as a woods bike.

Compression

Setting (stock '03 DRZ400S)

44 x 0.20 (4x)
44 x 0.15 (3x)
34 x 0.15
26 x 0.10
42 x 0.20
40 x 0.20
38 x 0.20
36 x 0.20
34 x 0.20
32 x 0.20
30 x 0.20
28 x 0.20
26 x 0.20
24 x 0.20
22 x 0.20
20 x 0.30
40 x 0.30 (2x, spacer)
41 x 4.00 (plate)
18 x 0.60 (spacer)

Modify to the Kyle Tarry stack;

44 x 0.20 (4x)
44 x 0.15 (3x)
34 x 0.15
26 x 0.10
42 x 0.20
40 x 0.20
40 x 0.30 (one shim taken from below)
38 x 0.20
36 x 0.20
34 x 0.20
32 x 0.20
30 x 0.20
28 x 0.20
26 x 0.20
24 x 0.20
25 x 0.60 (spacer, used because of modified rebound stack which is now shorter, shim is from stock rebound stack)
40 x 0.30 (spacer)
41 x 4.00 (plate)
18 x 0.60 (spacer)

Rebound. Planning on a 5.6 spring;

40 x 0.20 (4x)
25 x 0.10
40 x 0.20 (3x)
38 x 0.25
36 x 0.25
34 x 0.25
32 x 0.30
30 x 0.30
28 x 0.30
26 x 0.30
26 x 3.00 (plate)

Thoughts?

Running a three stage stack in the forks, so I guess I like multi stage stacks.

The DRZ is notoriously soft on LS damping as well as having the largest rebound adjusting circuit bypass. There is a common theory that in order to have plush initial feel with bottoming resistance that you should have a soft LS with more HS damping. This is where a lot of set ups fall down.

As a DRZ owner you should be aware that a fistfull of throttle will see that thing squat badly to the point that you almost slide off the back of it. The RSV will really help here as will more LS. Get this right and you wont need quite as much HS. Sorry, but I don't provide valving suggestions anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terry Hay said:

On the DRZ run a 1.4mm bleed.

Normally you would drop a couple of low speed shims (2 x .20 x 44) in order to accommodate the additional force provided by the RSV.

On a normal shock say YZf 250....I would use a 2mm bleed with the same low speed compensation.

The DRZ is notoriously soft on LS damping as well as having the largest rebound adjusting circuit bypass. There is a common theory that in order to have plush initial feel with bottoming resistance that you should have a soft LS with more HS damping. This is where a lot of set ups fall down.

As a DRZ owner you should be aware that a fistfull of throttle will see that thing squat badly to the point that you almost slide off the back of it.

The RSV will really help here as will more LS. Get this right and you wont need quite as much HS.

Would I hate the 1.5mm, or is it worth the extra effort to get the 1.4mm?

Believe me, I've thrown springs at the lack of comp to really discover the lack of rebound. :facepalm:

So in SUMMARY, the RSV will fix the faulty internal bleed to help avoid tail chasing, go after the weak rebound, weak low speed and stiff high speed.

The benefit of the RSV is in the stability it provides. You only remove some LS "once you have a good set up" and add the RSV to the system. With the stock set up you will still benefit from extra LS even with the RSV in place. The rebound isn't weak at all. Rebound only occurs as a consequence of compression. Once you get the comp under control I doubt you will have a rebound issue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Terry Hay said:

You only remove some LS "once you have a good set up" and add the RSV to the system.

Sounds good!

I'll start working on my stack first.

Thanks Terry.

• Like 1

That is my first reply here...yeehaaa!

We've used a RSV in a Z1000 with a ZX10R-Shock...So this is Superbike and Naked Bike Stuff.

Honestly it was a experiment which comes up very good. We've recognized that changes either on the compression and the rrebound adjuster always had influences on the other. In a worst case scenarion you have to adjust the spring preload to get travel or to reduce travel...always circling around this problem.

The RSV made a massive change for the owner. Simply because he can adjust to less compression on a bad day or to more if he wants to go more aggressive. Then he also doesn't deal with a passive change in rebound and on the other side a change in the springpreload isn't necessary.

On 18/09/2017 at 8:28 AM, Terry Hay said:

The benefit of the RSV is in the stability it provides. You only remove some LS "once you have a good set up" and add the RSV to the system. With the stock set up you will still benefit from extra LS even with the RSV in place. The rebound isn't weak at all. Rebound only occurs as a consequence of compression. Once you get the comp under control I doubt you will have a rebound issue.

Hi Terry, always a pleasure to see you around! I remember spending some time to make a RSV work on my 06rm250 back in the day. In my limited experience, when using a RSV 1.5mm I ended up in my testing with almost all my low speed shims removed, and definitely a strange hop. What was I doing wrong?

First of all 1.5mm is too small for that shock. 2.1 would be more appropriate. Also you have to be careful that there is enough clearance between the underside of the top of the valve and the rebound port otherwise you can restrict the pop off valve function.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 5:28 AM, Terry Hay said:

The benefit of the RSV is in the stability it provides. You only remove some LS "once you have a good set up" and add the RSV to the system. With the stock set up you will still benefit from extra LS  even with the RSV in place. The rebound isn't weak at all. Rebound only occurs as a consequence of compression. Once you get the comp under control I doubt you will have a rebound issue.

Well, i got thinking it over and ordered the RSV with a blank jet. So, I should drill the blank to 1.4mm (.055"; #55 drill) and go from there.

So, go with HS 3/4 out, LS 10 clicks out, rebound 10 clicks out with the RSV?

15 hours ago, Olivier Biron said:

Try exxtrememx.com

:thumbsup::smirk:

Lots of useful information..

I'm fortunate to have most of the parts necessary to build a vacuum bleeder.

Edited by Bermudacat