Official CRF230F vs Beta xTrainer Thread

Hey Guys-

Since many of us end up owning other bikes in addition to or in place of their 230F's, I figured I'd post this thread.

I took ownership of my xTrainer last week and have only 20mi on it riding around my 5acre yard circuit. No enduro cross or cross training type of obstacles on my course yet- just grass and a sandmound to jump.

My opinion: if you're looking for a step up in terms of quality/modernness/power - look no further than the xTrainer. When I first got on it it seemed a bit tall and long compared to what I'm used to but even just riding the lawn that has gone away. The low end grunt is more than the 230F even in second gear at idle and obviously the top end is much more. It's got some two-stroke punch but feels more linear and useable to me than my buddy's KTM 350XCF. It's also seemingly stall-proof.

If you've got the money and the interest in a more focussed woods bike than the 230F, I wholeheartedly recommend riding one of these. It is so lightweight feeling it's simply hard to explain! I can balance it standing perfectly still forever and I'm a novice rider.

36893177770_6bc01d11c7_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

36453496004_52ccebf39b_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

37148159471_0c63e3a1df_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

Edited by xplodee
  • Like 2

Just now, VortecCPI said:

Looks like a very nice bike but MSRP of $7299.00?  That's almost twice the price of a new CRF230.

Sure, plus another $350 for the compression damping valve and maybe $500 more for hand guards, pipe guard, rad guards etc. Is what it is, we all know that many like the idea of the xTrainer so I figured I'd share my experience with it now and as time goes on. For whatever its worth a new CRF230F is still $4500 plus all the same mods and suspension etc. There are used xTrainers out there for in the 5k range.

You lucky bastard !  I'd love one of those to compliment my modded 230 for those rides where you know the pace will be higher. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xplodee said:

If you've got the money and the interest in a more focussed woods bike than the 230F, I wholeheartedly recommend riding one of these. It is so lightweight feeling it's simply hard to explain! I can balance it standing perfectly still forever and I'm a novice rider.

I had one for awhile. If you want to go fast, it is a great bike. I decided it was going to kill or seriously injure me because I couldn't stop taking those acceleration hits and bigger jumps. Here is my retrospective: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17WxYZYcOg-ciOMezK4fVRx34II-JXZknhyTsCvXH8eI/pub#h.ajg3dei9cxbu

Edited by RedMesa