CRF230 MOD NEWBIE QUESTIONS

I have a 230 I just picked up a 06.  I am pretty happy with it.  I have been getting it back into top shape.  Have a few questions...

1- The exhaust might have taken a hit at some point...  Take a look at the picture...

2- are their any slip ons that actually do anyting for performance?  I know they will sound louder...but im talking about a HP increase...

3- i have not yet done the powerup which I plan to do...if I put on the slip on does that change the recommend jetting?

4- how much up and down play is there in your clutch?  mine seems very loose up and down but actually using it feels normal...  I tried to tighten the bolt but cant seem to close the gap.

Any other mods to get the most out of the bike...

I do not plan to move up to MX, I just want this bike to be all it can.

IMG_0930.JPG

• Like 1

Exhaust is deff bent. Slipons do normally make a few more horsepower but you for sure need to put in bigger jets. Even if you just uncorked you need to rejet. Most clutch levers have up and down play. If you don't like that buy a new lever and perch. Get a nice lever and perch and there won't be as much but it won't hurt anything

1) yes the photo proves that fact.

2) No but they look good and are usually lighter, but if you actually want to have a chance of increasing power, choose a pipe that has a larger header pipe.

More available power is found in an oversized header, much more than a muffler only.

Most people like the Pro Circuit or the Yoshimura pipes.

3) You must rejet your carb and set the float level properly.

Hopefully, if your goal is truly "more power" then I would suggest to steer clear of ANY jetting that has the words "Power up" associated with it.

Otherwise you will not be getting the "largest bang for the buck"

4) if your clutch lever perch, lever and pivot bolt are worn enough to make you unhappy, then replace the worn parts with new.

While your in that area anyway, why not lube your clutch cable with a cable lube tool. (And the pivot bolt) You Wont be sorry.

IMG_0811.jpg.2bf11594d8a1c7966333d4b350d272b8.jpg

Is the restrictor plug still in the top of the airbox?  Leave that in there until you rejet, it has a bigger effect on leaning out the engine than the exhaust does.  If'n I were you I'd just keep the OE exhaust the way it is until I could afford a full system, don't bother with just a slip on.  If you want a bit more BRAAAAPPPP you can remove the small diffuser in the end of the muffler if it is still in there.

Don't buy the Honda "Power Up" kit, the preferred method here is to just use different OE Honda parts that are the proper size.

You will probably need:

-  120 Main Jet

-  45 Pilot jet

-  OE needle from 2003-2005 CRF230F which has adjustment grooves in it.

-  Replacing the idle mixture screw with a Kouba makes adjustment lots less aggravating. 

• Like 2

Aftermarket exhaust systems are more about WHERE power may be gained (or needed) and weight loss.  When Mike Coe dynoed the old BBR system he found an extra 0.6 RWHP, which is a 3.4% increase in PEAK RWHP.  What he didn't share with us is the difference in shape and net areas of the TQ and HP curves.  While the BBR system may have only gained 0.6 PEAK RWHP it likely increased TQ over a much broader range.

Way too often we get hung up on PEAK HP numbers.  We can actually increase PEAK HP while sacrificing TQ and HP elsewhere.  What we need for this sort of bike in most cases is flat broad TQ, not a spike in peak HP.

Also be sure to check/set float level and valve lash.

Edited by VortecCPI

2 hours ago, MetricMuscle said:

Is the restrictor plug still in the top of the airbox?  Leave that in there until you rejet, it has a bigger effect on leaning out the engine than the exhaust does.  If'n I were you I'd just keep the OE exhaust the way it is until I could afford a full system, don't bother with just a slip on.  If you want a bit more BRAAAAPPPP you can remove the small diffuser in the end of the muffler if it is still in there.

Don't buy the Honda "Power Up" kit, the preferred method here is to just use different OE Honda parts that are the proper size.

You will probably need:

-  120 Main Jet

-  45 Pilot jet

-  OE needle from 2003-2005 CRF230F which has adjustment grooves in it.

-  Replacing the idle mixture screw with a Kouba makes adjustment lots less aggravating. 

Anyone want to get rid of their stock?  send me a message.

12 hours ago, adnohguy said:

1) yes the photo proves that fact.

2) No but they look good and are usually lighter, but if you actually want to have a chance of increasing power, choose a pipe that has a larger header pipe.

More available power is found in an oversized header, much more than a muffler only.

Most people like the Pro Circuit or the Yoshimura pipes.

3) You must rejet your carb and set the float level properly.

Hopefully, if your goal is truly "more power" then I would suggest to steer clear of ANY jetting that has the words "Power up" associated with it.

Otherwise you will not be getting the "largest bang for the buck"

4) if your clutch lever perch, lever and pivot bolt are worn enough to make you unhappy, then replace the worn parts with new.

While your in that area anyway, why not lube your clutch cable with a cable lube tool. (And the pivot bolt) You Wont be sorry.

IMG_0811.jpg.2bf11594d8a1c7966333d4b350d272b8.jpg

When I said power up, I was going to follow the guide that is a sticky on this site.  Seems they recommended a bigger main jet.

Is the info in the sticky still good to go by for what I want, or do all of those people already have a non-stock exhaust.

When I said power up, I was going to follow the guide that is a sticky on this site.  Seems they recommended a bigger main jet.

Is the info in the sticky still good to go by for what I want, or do all of those people already have a non-stock exhaust.

Use post # 4. All the items you will need have been conveniently listed for you. These will allow the largest smiles available for your stocker.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, honda230_WV said:

Did you remove the plastic baffle plug thing in the top of the airbox?  This is what will create a lean condition more so than exhaust modifications.  Leave it in until you are ready to rejet.

23.jpg

Are you looking for more sound or do you like quiet and stealthy?  It has been my experience that finding a used 230F muffler is quite difficult and commands a rather steep price.

I believe most here have opted to use different parts than what come with the "Power Up" kit.  If you are around sea level then get:

-  03-05 OE needle   16012-KPS-901  

-  120 main jet         99113-GHB-1200

-  45 pilot jet            99103-MT2-0450

The idle mixture screw in your 2006 carbulator has a "D" shaped head which makes adjusting difficult.  If you can remove it and cut a groove in the head so it can be adjusted with a flat head screw driver or order a "D" shaped bit.  The most convenient mod is to replace it with a Kouba idle mixture screw which extends out far enough for you to adjust it by hand whenever you feel the need.

CarbA26.jpg

You also need to verify your carburetor float level/fuel level.  The easiest way is to use a clear length of tubing attached to the drain port, open up the float drain screw and see where the fuel level is.  This pic shows a tad low, it should be closer to where the bowl meets the carb.

IMG_0818.JPG

• Like 1

A Spent 22 shell shaped into a "D" is a cheap tool for adjusting the Idle mixture screw for the highest idle speed, then set your base idle speed where you like it best.

• Like 1

Someone should really get rid of the (power up) sticky! Or change it to explain the jetting that really works AND that no matter how hard you try the power up crap will never run right especially with big elevation changes.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ricky racer said:

Someone should really get rid of the (power up) sticky! Or change it to explain the jetting that really works AND that no matter how hard you try the power up crap will never run right especially with big elevation changes.

Really makes one wonder how in the world Honda came up with that bulletin...

• Like 2

Will a 05 exhaust work on a 06?

Honda CRF230F OEM Exhaust Pipe & Muffler System CRF 230 2003 thru 2005...

in the description is says the header fits all 2003-2016 but the muffler only 2003-2005....  can anyone confirm?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CRF230F-OEM-Exhaust-Pipe-Muffler-System-CRF-230-2003-thru-2005-/282650521385?hash=item41cf48af29:g:CTgAAOSwQBFZuC6m&vxp=mtr

8 hours ago, MetricMuscle said:

Did you remove the plastic baffle plug thing in the top of the airbox?  This is what will create a lean condition more so than exhaust modifications.  Leave it in until you are ready to rejet.

23.jpg

Are you looking for more sound or do you like quiet and stealthy?  It has been my experience that finding a used 230F muffler is quite difficult and commands a rather steep price.

I believe most here have opted to use different parts than what come with the "Power Up" kit.  If you are around sea level then get:

-  03-05 OE needle   16012-KPS-901  

-  120 main jet         99113-GHB-1200

-  45 pilot jet            99103-MT2-0450

The idle mixture screw in your 2006 carbulator has a "D" shaped head which makes adjusting difficult.  If you can remove it and cut a groove in the head so it can be adjusted with a flat head screw driver or order a "D" shaped bit.  The most convenient mod is to replace it with a Kouba idle mixture screw which extends out far enough for you to adjust it by hand whenever you feel the need.

CarbA26.jpg

You also need to verify your carburetor float level/fuel level.  The easiest way is to use a clear length of tubing attached to the drain port, open up the float drain screw and see where the fuel level is.  This pic shows a tad low, it should be closer to where the bowl meets the carb.

IMG_0818.JPG

no air box has not been touched right now and wont be until I rejet.

Altitude where I ride is 650' above sea level.

• Like 1

Well I ordered all the jets and needles suggested.

went to 2 different Honda shops to see about having them install since I'm on a tight timeline.  They both seemed to indicate that it's a waste of time and money.  Then again they also only seemed fans of "r's".  So I'm a little discouraged.  Probably just going to do it myself.  Have any suggestions on install procedures,  needle settings, etc..

im a rookie but can probably do it with some guidence 

If you want it done right, do it yourself.
It's just as much fun working on them as it is riding them.
If you have the $$ to waste to pay someone to do it incorrectly or wrong, then you get the results that you paid for....
Sadly, "It is what it is"

Now get your priorities straight and just get it done already.
You can do it, I got faith.

Good luck and go ride it with a huge smile under your helmet.