No new 2018 X shown yet- Hmmm

Man I hope so. I thought I read somewhere that Honda has "something big in the works". It could be bs or it could be right.

I'm really hoping that Honda gives the X a full redesign. I've been a die hard Honda fan my whole life and I love my 450X but lately I've been thinking my next bike will not a red machine.
Let's hope Honda gives the X a much needed update.

Unlike all the previous annual events, at last winter's 2017 Montreal Motorcycle Show (Salon de la Moto de Montréal)

where most of the manufacturers display pretty much their entire lineup of bikes, the Honda booth didn't have either the 250X or 450X.

Being basically unchanged since 2004, I jokingly asked a rep if those bikes had been put on display in the 'vintage' bike section instead :rolleyes:

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Unlike the previous annual events, at last winter's 2017 Montreal Motorcycle Show (Salon de la Moto de Montréal)

where most of the manufacturers display pretty much their entire lineup of bikes, the Honda booth didn't have either the 250X or 450X.

Being basically unchanged since 2004, jokingly I asked a rep if the bikes had been put on display in the 'vintage' bike section :rolleyes:

What you mean being the same?

The new Crf450RX came out last year. Or maby the year before thet

Edited by skorpan777

This thread is about the X, not the new RX.

Not sure about Europe but in north america, the 250X and 450X have been available from 2004-present

and have remained pretty much unchanged thru all the model years.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Me neither, I think it's going to be bold new graphics forever until low sales dictate discontinuing both the current X models.

Perhaps trail versions will evolve out of the new RX, but again that would require some extra R&D and also make it pass emissions regulations.

Question is, is Honda willing to invest for such a small 'performance trail riding' market?

(only Yamaha does with it's WR, both Suzuki and Kawasaki don't bother)

The RX's specific market is versus KTM and other off-road XC type race bikes where competitive or not,

Honda is likely hoping to keep some brand presence before even their diehard fans all decide to switch to euro brands.

Edited by mlatour

Me neither, I think it's going to be bold new graphics forever until low sales dictate discontinuing both the current X models.
Perhaps a trail versions will evolve out of the new RX, but again that would require some extra R&D and also make it pass emissions regulations.

Is Honda willing to invest for such a small 'performance trail riding' market?
(only Yamaha does with it's WR, Suzuki and Kawasaki don't bother)
The RX's specific market is versus KTM and other off-road XC type race bikes.

I feel like Honda has focus most of their R&D into their race bikes and have forgotten about their trail bikes. A shame really because they make good bikes. If only they would put some effort into showing us something new in the enduro field.
If not I hope they can really tune the RX in for the trails but from what I've read it's still a track bike at heart. I know it's suppose to compete with KTM XCF models but I still don't think they are up to the same level.

im now 42 and even the old XR's I grew up with got updated every few years, 5 years unchanged at most- this is completely laughable! The RX would be a easy buy, if it was a wide ratio 6 speed with lighting. Nothing worse than to jump on a friends awesome new ride only to eat the rev limiter by 70mph- its 2017 and I only expect a modern bike to do what my old heavy xr650 did, tractor over obstacles in 1st and blow 100 down a gravel road. 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2017 at 8:14 PM, kgish475 said:

The fact that it's red sticker just lost me as a customer. I know it's EFI and it's hard to get around it but I mean come on! Why make a trail bike that you can only ride part of the year?

That's the point. The RX is not a trail bike. 

It would be interesting to know how many that complain that there isent a new X model , actually would buy a brand new if they relesed one.

Its like ppl bashing the new 18 Suzuki but i don't think many of these didnt even consider buy a new zook before any spec came out

Edited by skorpan777
  • Like 1

It would be interesting to know how many that complain that there isent a new X model , actually would buy a brand new if they relesed one.
Its like ppl bashing the new 18 Suzuki but i don't think many of these didnt even consider buy a new zook before any spec came out

Ok I can agree with that. If they made a model comparable to a XC-Wf, then I would buy it. But at the same time that I’m complaining about the lack of update about the X I’m also extremely happy with mine because it is such a good bike so you are completely right haha.
  • Like 1

Going by the threads in the 'what bike should I buy?' forum,

despite not being the best suited bike for their trail & off-road usage

like always most newcomers in the sport insist on having an motocross race bike.

Experienced riders in the market for a new performance oriented trail bike have likely switched brands, no doubt to a Euro manufacturer.

After 13 years of unchanged models, even if Honda offers an all new version I think it's simply

too late to ever become as popular as the 250X & 450X once were.

(I'd be curious to see the yearly average sales, say from '04 to '10 when the bikes still had 'current' technology and, sales numbers in the more recent years)

I'd also be curious in seeing it's direct competitors, the WR250F and WR450F sales numbers,

some of these being converted to dual-sports where laws allow it but imagine it's a relatively small percentage versus MX bike sales.

(the discontinuation of WR250R dual-sport may actually boost WR-F sales in these regions)

Without a penny spent on R&D during 12 years, if only Honda would have kept the price reasonable...

In recent years versus say the newly revamped WR lineup, no doubt their 'outdated' bikes would be more attractive if priced accordingly but

with only a 100$ or so difference (Canadian MSRP) in price between both, buying the all new WR250F rather than a CRF250X is a no brainer.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

Honda's entire trail-bike lineup is a joke top-to-bottom. The only thing more of joke then their trail bikes are their dual-sports. The best they can do is an air-cooled dinosaur, and a 320 pound liquid cooled slug that barely wheezes out 18 HP.

rode a 17 wr450 today- great bike but the seat was like sitting on a 2x4- man i hope Honda comes out with a re designed bike! and yes Skorpan777, I have $9K cash in my checking account waiting :) Either going to be a used X, new X, or snowmobile. I already have a 40x50' shop packed with to many toys

Edited by JRM