2003 Kawasaki KX250 2 Stroke Kick Starter Problems

The stock kick starter is way to long for me. I'm 5'9 and every time I kick start it, it shins my leg and it hurts. My cousin who is 6'2 even has a hard time kick starting it. I kick started my uncles 1999 YZ250 and it was so easy it only took me once or twice to kick start it. The kick starter was short and thick. I was wondering if a kick starter like that could fit onto my dirt bike? It can be from any model dirt bike. It would make my life so much easier. 

KDXGarage, no I am not but I was wearing winter work boots. It's all I have. Do MX boots really make that much of a difference? That 1999 YZ250 was so easy to kick start, I did it wearing regular boots. My KX250 has nothing wrong with it mechanically either.

Edited by ChristianMX

Maybe the YZ was not too high of compression or engine was low on compression??

I am not too aggressive in tennis shoes when starting my 2005 KX250. I don''t give it as tough a kick as when I have on my MX boots.

At your height, maybe you can adjust a little to try to kickstart it or find something to put your left foot on to get more leverage. Any shorter lever is going to give you less leverage.

As an aside, Workboots that have a steel toecap are dangerous. If you have an impact to the front of the boot, like hitting a tree/rock/stump, the toe will flex and bend back. The edge of the steel toecap can act as a knife and chop your toes off. That why MX/Enduro boots have a plated/rigid sole instead.

Make sure you are starting you kick stroke from the very top of the stroke. the ones that have come thru our shop always starts from the top of the stroke. otherwise they wont. This goes for other makes also. Good luck.