Any alternatives to injectioneering?

Today was the first ride on my new [to me] 2011 YZ450F and I found the abrupt low end throttle a bit unsettling.  It seemed nearly impossible to stay over 0% throttle and less than 10 or 15%... it was all or nothing when trying to go slow, I felt like a maniac when trying to just cruise at a slow speed and think I ended up more with whiplash than anything (ok, slight exaggeration).  I'm sure I'll get a little more used to it over time but I'd much rather it be more linear.

I found a lot of threads on the issue and most agree the best fix is to have injectioneering do their magic on the throttle body.  Looks like they do some machining, add a small air hole and then tweak the throttle position sensor calibration.  The problem appears to be that it's a crap shoot on whether you'll ever get your TB back.. and if you do, it's another crap shoot on whether it will take a week or 3 months. 

Is anyone else offering a comparable service?  I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a more reliable vendor, I just haven't been able to find anyone else.  If I do go with injectioneering I'm thinking I'd probably just buy a used TB off eBay and send that one to him instead.. at least then if he takes 3 months I still have my original.

Any ideas or suggestions to fix this issue?

Haven't bought a tuner yet, but am planning on it.. I need to do some maintenance, i.e. sprockets/chain/wheel bearings first though

I've read a little bit about G2's throttle cam.. I'll have to look into it a bit more and see what that's all about

I read something else saying the 2013 TB was better in regard to this issue?  No clue if that's true or not though and I haven't been able to find much on that option

20 minutes ago, Schpenxel said:

Haven't bought a tuner yet, but am planning on it.. I need to do some maintenance, i.e. sprockets/chain/wheel bearings first though

I've read a little bit about G2's throttle cam.. I'll have to look into it a bit more and see what that's all about

I read something else saying the 2013 TB was better in regard to this issue?  No clue if that's true or not though and I haven't been able to find much on that option

Maybe some ECU mapping but the throttle bodies are identical between the two... 

I have... and agree, it's a coin toss on whether you'll get your TB back and probably another coin toss on whether it takes a week or 3 months.  I'd buy an extra used TB and send that one out for modification more than likely.. if I went that route.  That's the last option in my mind though since it's possible I'd be blowing over $400 for nothing..

9 minutes ago, Schpenxel said:

I have... and agree, it's a coin toss on whether you'll get your TB back and probably another coin toss on whether it takes a week or 3 months.  I'd buy an extra used TB and send that one out for modification more than likely.. if I went that route.  That's the last option in my mind though since it's possible I'd be blowing over $400 for nothing..

Just try the throttle cam first and go frok there... 

• Like 1

Just now, Slow and Jerky said:

Getting a tuner is your best bet. You will be amazed how much you can change throttle response all the way through the range. If you are trail riding I would also suggest a flywheel weight.  

Thanks, I’ll pick up a used one as soon as I can, need to do some other maintenance stuff first.. the o rings are falling apart on the chain they’re so old and dry, so I’m going to replace that and sprockets first (before riding anymore, I’d rather not bust a case open or something when the chain goes)

• Like 1

I purchased a 2013 yz450f a few months back and had a similar response as you. I just wanted to tame the bike down a bit so i picked up a GYTR tuner and a used G2 throttle tamer. I was surprised how much i was actually able to change with just those two things. I am very happy with the results and have completely thrown out the idea of injectionengineering at this point. My next step is getting a new chain and sprockets because 1) the bike needs new ones, and 2) I am going to go +2 teeth in the rear to a 50t rear sprocket. 13t/50t will help for the slower trail riding and hill climbs i find myself on 90% of the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chaotic29 said:

I purchased a 2013 yz450f a few months back and had a similar response as you. I just wanted to tame the bike down a bit so i picked up a GYTR tuner and a used G2 throttle tamer. I was surprised how much i was actually able to change with just those two things. I am very happy with the results and have completely thrown out the idea of injectionengineering at this point. My next step is getting a new chain and sprockets because 1) the bike needs new ones, and 2) I am going to go +2 teeth in the rear to a 50t rear sprocket. 13t/50t will help for the slower trail riding and hill climbs i find myself on 90% of the time.

Very good to hear. What cam did you use on the G2 throttle? I see they have a lot of options. Kind of sucks I just bought a new throttle tube a week or two ago, guess I can keep that one around as a backup

I wish I had a throttle body that Injectioneering had modified so I could figure out what they did and copy it. Oh well. 

I’ll give the tuner and g2 throttle tamer a try and see how that goes. Thanks 

I want to say it's the h200 cam. But without tearing it apart I'm not sure. I just remember it was gold and I keep thinking 200... if that helps haha 

Ordered a GYTR Tuner this morning from a TT member, thanks!  Going to do sprockets/chain/wheel bearings next then G2 throttle tamer after that. Still have to go through the rest of the bearings on the bike and see if there's anything else I need

Ordered GYTR tuner, new sprockets, new chain, new sprocket bolts and new front and rear wheel bearings, woohoo.  Should be here Tuesday or so, then I'll feel a lot better about riding it.. this decrepit old chain scares me and I don't like pulling stuff apart without going ahead and replacing bearings, etc. while I'm at it

G2 throttle tamer will be next, I'm going to see how just the tuner does first

Edited by Schpenxel

Nothing wrong with changing bearings but unless it's a high miler, they seem to last. I'm still on my 07' bearings on my WR450. 

As to the throttle body mods I had it done and didn't notice much to any difference. There is way more of a noticeable difference in using the tuner. 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Nothing wrong with changing bearings but unless it's a high miler, they seem to last. I'm still on my 07' bearings on my WR450. 

As to the throttle body mods I had it done and didn't notice much to any difference. There is way more of a noticeable difference in using the tuner. 👍

True.. the stock ones are probably fine, it's a 2011 and not high mileage/hours (though I am anxious to get my tuner in to see how many hours are actually on it.. the previous owner claimed under 20 hours but I'm not sure I buy that).  I wanted the tuner anyway and found one for a great price, so I figure I might as well give that a try first before trying my luck at injectioneering or spending the $100'ish on the G2 throttle tamer

This bike has clearly been ridden, pretty much every surface that isn't easy to get to has red mud on it still, so I figured it couldn't hurt to go ahead and do bearings while it's apart just in case some dirt/water got in them.

I'm used to doing the same on cars... these bikes are so cheap to work on comparably that I really can't complain.  I have a supercharged 2005 Corvette, ~13psi of boost, meth injection, E85, etc.. it goes pretty good :cool:.  This video was at high elevation, I've done a bit faster closer to sea level

Edited by Schpenxel
  • Like 1

http://www.rollonthrottle.com

This is a cheaper route than the G2, and the owner was a pleasure to deal with too. I had no issues with my installation and it worked like the guys are saying on here to smooth out the hit. I have the Injectioneering mod, and it worked well, there were no issues with the time or shipping back to me, but I know there are numerous guys that have had issues. I also have the flywheel weight on my 2010 YZ450F which also helped. I have a Vortex Ignition sitting on my bench which I will try soon (injury forced a 2 year break, but getting the garage monument back to moto worthiness) and that will probably even further make it a smooth powered bike for an OG. Lil story about the Rollon throttle, was riding with the stock one on a hardpack slippery track, and having my usual throttle hit issues and sliding all over the place. Halfway through the day I put on the Rollon traction control throttle and went back out. I was a drastic improvement that showed in the ability to get the power to the ground in the corners and exits. So much so that I got a great drive out of the corner leading to the jump that launches you up a steep hill, flew an extra 60 feet or so and upon landing snapped my right achilles!! Hence, the two year break!! lol

lol, that sucks!  But I guess it worked for you, if breaking body parts is considered working?

I'll check that version out.. I'm going to try the tuner first since I already have it ordered and then I'll decide what to do throttle wise.  Really wish injectioneering didn't have so many horror stories.  Seems like any halfway competent business person would just say "ok, I screw up 10% of the TB's I try to modify, so add 10% x MSRP of a new one to my price and them I'm covered" instead of this not sending people their TB's back BS that he seems known for.  The only thing I can come up with is he screws some of them up then it turns into a Ponzi scheme of who gets what TB (and who doesn't!)

Oh well, I'll get it straightened out one way or another