Tok the beast out today for the first time

Hello all just wanted to report that I took out my 450 SX F today for the first time. I'm going to have to work with the suspension and prior to doing that I need to get the proper spring rate. I need a .48 Spring and was curious to know the best place to find one. Looking for a OEM KTM? Outside of that Mike wrote amazing. There was one section of singletrack that was very tight and took me a while to get through and I could smell a little anti-freeze as it was starting to get hot. Got out of that area and it rode like a dream. Tons of throttle response super amazing fast. Quick and nimble also! Definitely needed know where I can get a 48 spring however. Thanks for all your insight

I am 195lb at the moment here are my settings for single track and it is the best single track dudoendion I've ever rode AND you can straight sail off good size jumps with these settings.  ..here we go.

Forks: assuming you are at least 180 lbs these are great single track settings well great all around.

Run 10.5 bar in the air fork 

Run 17 clicks compression and 16 clicks rebound.

Shock: set you high speed to 2.25 turns out from seated.

Run 16 compression and 16 rebound.

Try those EXACT settings next time you hit the trail and they will either be spot on depending on what you weigh or very very close. 

• Like 1

Dave at FBI is my local goto guy for suspension work.  He is in Hendesonville.  He set my rmz450 up for supermoto for me, does tons of Ohlins work and WP work for on road, off road and track.  Super knowledgeable guys.  i buy my suspension parts through him as well as wheels, brakes etc.  Give him a shout and see what he says about your setup and what he can do for parts.

http://www.fastbikeindustries.com/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wes Woodin said:

Hello all just wanted to report that I took out my 450 SX F today for the first time. I'm going to have to work with the suspension and prior to doing that I need to get the proper spring rate. I need a .48 Spring and was curious to know the best place to find one. Looking for a OEM KTM? Outside of that Mike wrote amazing. There was one section of singletrack that was very tight and took me a while to get through and I could smell a little anti-freeze as it was starting to get hot. Got out of that area and it rode like a dream. Tons of throttle response super amazing fast. Quick and nimble also! Definitely needed know where I can get a 48 spring however. Thanks for all your insight

At 215lbs I think you'll be closer to 5.0. As for getting the right spring, any reputable suspension shop can get you one... 

On 9/17/2017 at 11:30 PM, YZF1825 said:

I am 195lb at the moment here are my settings for single track and it is the best single track dudoendion I've ever rode AND you can straight sail off good size jumps with these settings.  ..here we go.

Forks: assuming you are at least 180 lbs these are great single track settings well great all around.

Run 10.5 bar in the air fork 

Run 17 clicks compression and 16 clicks rebound.

Shock: set you high speed to 2.25 turns out from seated.

Run 16 compression and 16 rebound.

Try those EXACT settings next time you hit the trail and they will either be spot on depending on what you weigh or very very close. 

Thanks for the input!! I will try!! Are you saying you didn't replace the rear spring?

On 9/17/2017 at 11:43 PM, shift1313 said:

Dave at FBI is my local goto guy for suspension work.  He is in Hendesonville.  He set my rmz450 up for supermoto for me, does tons of Ohlins work and WP work for on road, off road and track.  Super knowledgeable guys.  i buy my suspension parts through him as well as wheels, brakes etc.  Give him a shout and see what he says about your setup and what he can do for parts.

http://www.fastbikeindustries.com/

Great info!! I will reach out tomorrow!

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 11:47 PM, Monk said:

At 215lbs I think you'll be closer to 5.0. As for getting the right spring, any reputable suspension shop can get you one... 

Thanks for the input. Actually right now, I myself weigh 240, but losing weight now. I can fluctuate 50 lbs in the blink of an eye. I was 256 last week and I'm already down to 242 in 9 days. I'm my best at 210-215. 

I have not changed the rear spring no. I run the high speed at 2.25 turns out as of now and 16 comp and 16 reb. For you maybe try high speed 2 turns out and comp 14 reb 16 and go from there.

Just changed however haven't ridden yet. 51 rate 35mm sag and 105 race sag. All clickers on the sport settings in the manual. Ill keep you updated as to how it performs.!

Here's my beast..sorry just found a great new clear coat/protectant so she's all shined up. SC1 clear coat.

20171012_175852.jpg

20171012_175509.jpg

Edited by YZF1825
  • Like 1