Bottoming cone likes 7w

Has anybody noticed a difference in bottoming cone performance between 5wt and 7wt? I had bought a gallon of 7wt oil that I got cheap and used it only for testing different stacks without breaking the bank. On both showas and kayabas the difference in feel isn't so much that a few clicks will adjust but one big surprise when I'm back to the good quality 5wt, bottoming protection becomes wrist pain and a big "clank". Is it just me? 

• Like 1

On 17/09/2017 at 11:44 PM, Monk said:

Oil height will play a bigger part. The 7w would affect the whole suspension action... 

For the few times that I tested the usable range of oil volumes, I was under the impression that mid-stroke harshness shows up first, then oil height will affect mild and medium type of bottoming but not severe bottoming situations like a 100 feet overjump or casing a double head-on. Thicker oil will control severe bottoming, pretty much like when you put on some aftermarket oil-lock collars, like the ones from FC. I may be completely off also, I just find that on many models the stock bottoming circuit is often disappointing in stock trim...

The aftermarket lock rings always seem to strike the cone, contaminating the oil with alloy particles. Heavier oil is more reliable if it corresponds to your valving.

• Like 2

I have 4 sets of wp closed cartridge forks on some of my older ktm's. On all but one set I run 10wt in the bottom and 5wt in the cartridge for additional bottoming resistance. The fourth set has MXtech original huck valves and I run 5wt top & bottom.

Never had a noticeable issue with 5wt from the inner cartridge diluting the 10wt.

I like a plush,progressive stroke with firm bottoming resistance. I prefer the feel of the 10wt over raising the oil level too high. ( I run 350cc in the bottom of all of them but the huck valve. It gets 250cc.

• Like 1