SE Pennsylvania Trials stuff

1 hour ago, N3YMY said:

Oh they're very safe.

sure. About broke my ankle trying to kick start it. Wow, it takes a serious kick. I had to put my whole weight (which is considerable) and add a kick down to get it to turn over. Its a 270cc two stroke, but the throttle response is totally weird.

Consider this: how do you go from stopped in neutral to moving on your dirt bike? On my KTM, I have both feet on the ground and butt on seat. Pick up left foot, put in gear, let out clutch and pick up feet. On trial bike, there is no seat. You don't sit on seat and pick up your feet. I can't even get the thing moving without getting a 5

I checked out the Mid-Atlantic Vintage Trials event today at New Windsor MD. (http://www.mid-atlantictrials.com/) Had a blast, met a lot of great folks. I took my trials bike around to check out the sections, and walked the sections and talked as if  I were knowledgeable about how to actually ride them.  But I did not actually enter. Folks warned me that my full face enduro helmet would melt my brain in the heat. And it did on the quick transit loop. And my old and beat up enduro boots were flexible enough, but the enduro sole has no traction at all when walking. Trials folks walk a lot. Plus I completely brain-faded and forgot my CamelBak. It was way too hot to do any riding without hydration. But i had fun and I'll be back.

• 4 months later...

Reopening this thread.   I just did a day of trials training while on vaca in California.   Spent a day on a new gasgas 250 2T with a coach.   Man,  what a blast.   Learned a ton,  and was able to attack stuff that I would never try even on my freeride.  It seams like our rocky hilly terrain is perfect for observed trials,  yet I've never seen anyone riding a trials bike nor have I heard of any active local trials clubs outside Philly or in northern nj.   I had such a good time,  and definitely saw the value of learning techniques on a trials bike, that I'm now contemplating getting one.   However,  it certainly would be more interesting and rewarding to hook up with some dudes who are into trials riding rather than venturing out on my own. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking of upgrading, my Beta is 12 years old. Considering a new 2017 or 2018. Looking at GasGas, Sherco and Beta, either  200cc or 250cc.

Since I posted this in late Summer, I went to two Mid-Atlantic Vintage Trials events. Great club. Had fun. Will do more of their events in 2018

I mostly rode the gasgas contact 250 2T.  Impressive machine,  and plenty powerful for all the trials stuff.   However,  I also got to ride the contact 280 and the extra power was nice zipping around in the single track trails.  I think they may now have an electric start version,  which would be killer.   Both bikes were tough to kick start,  especially the 280... and I stalled alot;)

20180131_121936.jpg

15 hours ago, ninjabones said:

Both bikes were tough to kick start,  especially the 280... and I stalled alot;)

My old Beta 270 is a bear to kick. Its a left foot kick, and its much harder to kick over than my KTM300. Don't know if its leverage (lack thereof) or high compression. It takes a serious dedicated kick. I have been on rides where I stall alot and get to the point that I simply can't kick it over. I have to rest 10 minuets until my leg works again

I met a bunch of guys in SPER while doing the Michaux enduro.  Many of them had trials bikes and seemed to practice regularly with a trials club.  They may be a good place to make contact.  I would love to get into trials.  Way less damaging on the body than racing and bouncing off trees (I'm rapidly approaching the "F" word----fifty!)

Also, I think Bud Matto in Pottsville carries GasGas.  That will be my first stop.

Edited by the_irish_oak

Pat, interested to hear your thoughts on why you'd choose the txt over the contact,  especially given that the new contact is available with electric start.   I imagine if you were planning to compete,  then maybe the txt is a more capable bike,  but the larger gas tank, small removable seat (which arguably is only useful when stopped and taking a break) and the e start are definitely appealing, and it's only a few pounds heavier (in fact,  there's even a version with a dual sport kit so feasibly street legal in pa (as hard as that is to believe).  

I hear what you're saying,  and I'm looking at several options myself.  However,  the contact is not a compromise or hybrid bike (which my freeride admittedly is); it is a true trials bike, but has 0.3 gal larger tank, a removable seat (mostly to make your breaks more comfortable), and an estart option (less than 5 lbs heavier than the txt and more than $1,000 cheaper).   All three options should be attractive to "mature" riders like you and I, and should not in any way take away from you're stated goals (which are essentially the same as mine).   I just wonder if you (and i for that matter) might actually choose to ride the bike more given these added features,  and ultimately learn more because of that.  

I have to admit that eStart is a big plus. But the photos on the GasGas site show mirror, stop light, plate holder and other stuff that chase me away.

One thing I have noticed is that trials is such a niche of a niche that the websites of the manufacturers and distributors are uniformly terrible.