CR250 SHowa Shock revalved for Rocks - critique my stack

I want to soften up  my current hare scramble shock valving to ride technical ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS!

26 miles of rocks, takes 5-6 hrs to finish. So it's mainly going up and down mountains in 2nd and 3rd gear riding these rocks that I want to revalve my showa shock for.

image.jpg

Right now, it's too harsh on the sharp edges, and the frame gets bounced up and down too much. I'd like to soften up as much as possible to get rid of the deflections, and to get the frame to not move around so much under me when I'm going over the rocks.

The stack on the left is existing, the one on the right is what I'm proposing to do.

Showa_Shock_Shim_Stack_ROCKS.jpg

what do you guys think?

Ya that will soften it alot, it might feel too soft for anything but slow rocky trails. Your low speed stack is already soft, I don't think I'd take out 3 of those 44mm shims, maybe just 1. Then I would make the 24, 26 and 28 a .25 instead of .30 , or you could even change all those .25s to .20s

• Like 1

I want to soften up  my current hare scramble shock valving to ride technical ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS!
26 miles of rocks, takes 5-6 hrs to finish. So it's mainly going up and down mountains in 2nd and 3rd gear riding these rocks that I want to revalve my showa shock for.
image.jpg
Right now, it's too harsh on the sharp edges, and the frame gets bounced up and down too much. I'd like to soften up as much as possible to get rid of the deflections, and to get the frame to not move around so much under me when I'm going over the rocks.
The stack on the left is existing, the one on the right is what I'm proposing to do.
Showa_Shock_Shim_Stack_ROCKS.jpg
what do you guys think?

So how did this stack work? Can someone repost the stack because I can't see the original pic for some reason

Is that a 38.15 bleed shim off the face of the comp stack?

Why would you use a bleed shim on a shock?  Forks I get, but I never seen it on a shock.  

Bleed shims can work very well, the trick is getting the reb to work. They can be awesome in trail junk, but you'd better get reb dialed for faster whooped out desert.

It doesn't seem a whole lot different than what I am running in a kx, but I am running maxima 3wt and no bleed shim.  

I am getting ready to redo mine for the same reasons.  

rear spring 50 Nm

R.

2 40.2

---------

C.

4 44.2

4 44.15

Your setup is to soft now you are way down in the stroke and in the hard part of your linkage sometimes trying to make things softer means going stiffer spring and valving

On 12/26/2017 at 0:46 PM, Ken McCurdy said:

Your setup is to soft now you are way down in the stroke and in the hard part of your linkage sometimes trying to make things softer means going stiffer spring and valving

...who r-u replying to? 

Edited by minibikedad