Any tips on making it easier to start?

Can't believe what a bitch this thing is to start. 10+ kicks cold, flat refuses when hot, and maybe 5 when warm.

i just can't believe a fuel injected bike would be so difficult. It's a 2010 with a new dealer installed top-end. Basically stock with a slip/on. 

Fuel/air sensor is not good? I don't think a fuel injected bike should be that hard to start

9 minutes ago, skorpan777 said:

Don't touch the throttle, if you are

Put the choke on (15sec) first start of the day let idle 30sec

Nope no throttle. 

Using the high-idle (choke) lever when cold. Tried every combination of "choke", hot start, both, or none, and it just won't start when hot. If it sits for 5min, it'll start with the "choke" on, sometimes with it off. 

Once in a great while I get lucky with a 2-4-kick startup, but that's very very rare.

The most common problem for hard to start is valves.

If the dealer did check them yourself

All dealers isent good mechanics

If the valves are good shimmed then do a compression test to se if any valve leak at the valve seat

Exhaust valve is in the middle of the spec, intake is one step loose (.007/.178mm). On these bikes does the intake valve tend to tighten over time, or loosen??

10 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

did you own a 2 stroke b4 this bike ?

99% of the time they will tighten due to the valve and seat surfaces wearing against each other. its rare, but increasing valve clearance is usually caused by soot build up on the seat and/or valve. have you tried testing your TPS and playing with your idle setting? does the bike feel like it has good compression? 

I have a brand new 2017 thats a little tougher to start than I thought it would be.  I recently purchased 2 of my first FI bikes, a 2010 CRF450R and 2017 RMZ250.  I was under the impression that these things are supposed to fire up first or second kick.  When warm thats always the case, but when cold, your talking 6-8 kicks for both.  The 450 I have to kick rapidly, as in my 6 kicks take about 3 seconds and it always fires up fine that way, if I use a slower pace it takes around 10 kicks.  The 250 starts to want to turnover about the 4th kick, but usually takes a couple more to get it going.  I had a 2007 YZ250f that fired up 1st or second kick every time no matter the time or temperature.  I've tried different methods and techniques but always use full strokes like your supposed to.  The funny thing is that after a lot of trial and error, I came to find that the 450 started easier without full strokes, but using shorter rapid strokes like kicking a 2 stroke...go figure.

Edited by jayluv54