2006 crf250r for $900

hey guys I just bought a 2006 crf250r for $900 and it needs a carb clean but thats it. I was wondering if it was a good deal. I was browsing craigslist and found this listing 8 minutes after the guy posted it, I was looking for a nice 4 stroke  and i heard crfs are super reliable. its in good condition and runs fine, the carb is just leaking so i need to clean it and the side plastics are cracked but thats it. i was just wondering if i got a good deal

Despite the carb problem, does the engine start, have you test ridden it at all ?

Difficult to say until you inspect absolutely everything if it was a great deal or, you bought a grenade ready to explode.

Early CRF's cylinder heads were not known to be the most durable but the rest of the bike is well designed.

It's often 'buyer beware' when the price is too good to be true but, 

sometimes a very motivated seller prices something to sell quick and good deals are indeed found.

Edited by mlatour

9 hours ago, mlatour said:

Despite the carb problem, does the engine start, have you test ridden it at all ?

Difficult to say until you inspect absolutely everything if it was a great deal or, you bought a grenade ready to explode.

Early CRF's cylinder heads were not known to be the most durable but the rest of the bike is well designed.

It's often 'buyer beware' when the price is too good to be true but, 

sometimes a very motivated seller prices something to sell quick and good deals are indeed found.

He was moving and needed the bike gone, the bike started up for a little when I told him to start it up and then it stopped. It also wants to start whenever I push start it but always boggs down. And the carb is leaking gas. The same thing happened with my Suzuki rm125 and it just needed a carb cleaning. Any suggestions on what else it might be?

Like any other used bike, you'll have to go thru it from A to Z for it to be reliable.

Replace all fluids, check valve clearance, clean the entire fuel system, grease all bearings etc. etc.

Fuel leak can be from debris on fuel inlet valve seat and needle, a mis-adjusted float or a torn o-ring somewhere etc.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

How many hours does it look like it has?   Check the engine/clutch covers on both sides and check for factory paint wear.  Hopefully it runs good for you!  

If I were you, I would have a leakdown test performed on it. It pressurizes the combustion chamber to make sure the piston/rings, valves and gaskets are all sealing. If it shows low percentage of leakage, chances are the motor is good. If it shows larger percentage of leakage, then something is worn out most likely the valves.

• Like 1

the valves are in great shape and stainless steel I had it looked over by a mechanic who said it was a great buy he said I got it for a steal at $900 and that it has over $900 in just aftermarket parts. It just needed the carb clean and only cost me $50 for him to come to my houser and clean it. i don't know if i can upload of video of it running but it sounds amazing 

• Like 1

if its running fine now (after $950) and is in as good condition as you claim... of course that’s a good deal. ive seen 06s go for over $2k!