why i loved my ex Yamaha YZ450F

Reasons that i loved my yamaha

Two weeks ago I bought a 2013 CRF450R . after riding it for couple of time , i do miss my ex-YZ for couple of reasons:

1. its powerful engine , specially in low end  2.how easy and good the clutch was 3.its easy to change map on yamaha with GYTR power tuner 4.for me its a better looking bike compare to other brands. 5. yamaha forums 

of course in compare to my YZ , the CRF450R is superb in handling and easy to ride . i miss my yamaha low/mid end torque , but i am still fast with honda or even ridding better with honda. it feel like a 250 in the wood and trails, but the biggest problem for me is how stiff is the clutch ( i have a new clutch cable and OEM clutch spring).

one thing that i do really appreciate is this forum,  which is more active and i usually get response to my posts and questions .

Edited by William1
Per Request

On the stiff clutch problem, one thing You can try is to lubricate the clutch cable with some PTFE lubrication, even though it was a new cable on mine it made a huge difference.

If this doesn't give the pull You want, You can try an aftermarket clutch lever, like the Works Connection elite clutch perch, It has a ball bearing and it also made a huge difference for me.

if none of these helps You can always go the Magura route, I had a couple but personally i still prefer the feel that comes with the normal clutch cable.

• Like 1

On the stiff clutch problem, one thing You can try is to lubricate the clutch cable with some PTFE lubrication, even though it was a new cable on mine it made a huge difference.
If this doesn't give the pull You want, You can try an aftermarket clutch lever, like the Works Connection elite clutch perch, It has a ball bearing and it also made a huge difference for me.
if none of these helps You can always go the Magura route, I had a couple but personally i still prefer the feel that comes with the normal clutch cable.

Thanx for the comment , will look at magura clutches . I got arm pump problem in the last ride :)) .

Thanx for the comment , will look at magura clutches . I got arm pump problem in the last ride ) .

Look into asv levers, if you bought it used it's possible it has stiff springs for better engagement. Also, there is a e-z-clutch that goes on a cable clutch that works pretty well
Screenshot_20170924-095234.jpg
  • Like 1

Too true on the clutch pull.   We have a Yamaha - Honda dealer I can not believe the Crf450r pull vs the yz450f.  Way too stiff for all day riding.

CRF450R clutch is absolutely a disaster
  • Like 1

Look into asv levers, if you bought it used it's possible it has stiff springs for better engagement. Also, there is a e-z-clutch that goes on a cable clutch that works pretty well
Screenshot_20170924-095234.jpg.22cc516fca3b9df210cb10735e230177.jpg

I am wondering if these changes make it better or they just make it 1-5 % better !?

I am wondering if these changes make it better or they just make it 1-5 % better !?

It's almost too easy to pull in if that's what you're wondering

It's almost too easy to pull in if that's what you're wondering

Yes that will be perfect :D
  • Like 1

Yes that will be perfect

It's very light, I had one. If you want easy pull, without getting a hydraulic and all its problems, get it. Promise it's very very light.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

It's a very light pull with that thing installed, but the clutch will drag like crazy....

Switch to a Magura system or get lighter clutch springs.....

is it okej to remove 2 of the standard spring !? or thats the worse idea ever !? 

Edited by aminem

6 hours ago, hondaman331 said:

It's very light, I had one. If you want easy pull, without getting a hydraulic and all its problems, get it. Promise it's very very light.

okej i will try it , i appreciate your help :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hondaman331 said:

is it okej to remove 2 of the standard spring !? and run with just 4spring !? a easy and simple solution !? or it can have a bad side effect !? 

is it okej to remove 2 of the standard spring !? and run with just 4spring !? a easy and simple solution !? or it can have a bad side effect !? 

That is a no go. It won't engage well. Will slip
  • Like 1

That is a no go. It won't engage well. Will slip

So i can test it if i am not going to damage any part of the clutch component .

Don't do that.

Ok then i order easy clutch pull system and wait till it arrive (probably a 10day) :D
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2017 at 5:44 AM, THE KRAN said:

It's a very light pull with that thing installed, but the clutch will drag like crazy....

Switch to a Magura system or get lighter clutch springs.....

On 9/25/2017 at 2:06 AM, hondaman331 said:

I have orderd new clutch cable , moose easy clutch pull , lighter spring and steel disc plate. hopefully one of the combination will work .

or maybe i need to go and buy a 2014-2015 YZ450F :)) and stop complaining about the clutch :)) and engine power , whic mean i will start to complain about other thing on yamaha  :lol::banghead:  . no perfect bike exist :) .