What are the pros of metal gas tanks?

The KLR's (and I'm guessing some other bikes) have metal gas tanks, and I'm curious to know why? What are the pros of having a metal tank vs. plastic?

I believe it's a DOT regulation for manufacturers to sell street bikes with metal tanks

57 minutes ago, Dmouse said:

I believe it's a DOT regulation for manufacturers to sell street bikes with metal tanks

It's an EPA thing. Most plastic motorcycle tanks wouldn't pass the standards due to elevated levels of evaporative loss. That being said my fs 570 came from the factory as 50 state legal with a plastic tank just like many other euro bikes. Don't sweat it. Nobody is going to call you on it.

• Like 2

Steel dents.

Certain types of plastic tanks are susceptible to swelling badly with 10% ethanol fuels.

Doc

11 hours ago, Confederate said:

I remember when all the tanks were metal. Always wore a cup back then to ride, if not you got hurt.

I don't know about you but my balls are a lot softer than any plastic tank.  Don't think a plastic tank is gonna make one bit of difference in that area.

• Like 2

The big advantage of steel over plastic on the street (since dual sport bikes do that sort of thing) is that plastic won't rupture or be ground through from sliding on the pavement in the even of a crash and covering the rider in fuel, with sparks flying, and a hot exhaust. Death by fire isn't pretty.

I believe some new dirt bike have titanium tanks but in my experience steel tanks at least on 1982 and 1986 bikes looked nice but ya some work taking care of them so they don't rust inside then dents etc.

Depending on what kind of metal, it can be a pro or a con. The 2017 Honda CRF450 is the only bike currently using a stamped metal gas tank. It s made of stamped titanium and is expensive to manufacture but saves about 3 pounds. So, unless it is a stamped titanium tank, I'd run the plastic ones.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks. I didn't think about it possibly being an EPA issue. I thought maybe it was to save a dollar in production.

I've had bikes with plastic tanks in the past, and more recently I've had a couple KLR's with metal tanks. And the metal tanks are frustrating because they get scratched and dented so easily, and the scratches expose bare metal to rust. I would rather a plastic tank, but I'm not going to spend the money on one right now.