2015 crf450r starting

Hey guys, well I finally stepped up to the fuel injected 450, and I absolutely love it so far.

Previously I had an 04', and it needed a new top end every 75-100 hours. I just bought a 2015 crf450 USED from somebody. The guy claims there was only 20 hours on the bike but there's really no way to tell unless digging into the motor.

So, I had a couple questions since this fuel injection system is totally new to me.

1. How many kicks does it take to start your bike when it is 100% cold?

2. After getting the bike warm and riding it, I turn it off, give it a few minutes, then start it up again and if I rev just barely past idle it will stall out, is this normal?

3. When should top end adjustment be done? I know what the manual says, and every 15-20 hours for a top end seems very excessive.

1. 2-3 kicks

2.no not normal, clean airfilter?

3. If you are not racing dont need to do it every 15h but do oil change every 2  or 3 weekends (engine not tranm) of riding and check airfilter as often you ride. If its dirty change it

Edited by skorpan777
  • Like 1

The stall or bog is most likely related to the lean condition in the factory ECU.  May also be the RPM in which you have it idling, may be too low.  I keep mine around 2400 rpm at idle. 

You can send your ECU to someone like Tokyo Mods or PC and they will correct the faults with the stock mapping.

Edited by Adam Campbell
  • Like 1

If you're talking about your bike sitting on a stand/triangle....etc and you just "blip" the throttle, just enough to take the adjusted free-play out of the cable and no more than an 1/8th" into the actual throttle the bikes most certainly are prone to stalling. Keep in mind the fuel injection systems on these bikes are still VERY basic open loop systems with a few "maps" programmed in by the manufacturer. I've never experienced an issue out on the track simply because there is no point on the track where I would essentially jiggle the throttle.

If we're talking about the same stalling scenario, I can personally attest to replicating it on friends 13, 14 and my own 15.

Now, if you're actually getting into the throttle and the RPM's pick up and the bike stalls....yes, that's an issue that needs to be looked into. As far as top end adjustment.....I assume you mean valve clearances. Personally, I have incredible OCD and check my clearances roughly every 10 hours. I have a nice Excel spread sheet to help me keep track. Over the years I have owned two 06's, an 08, 11 and now a 15. They were all into the 50 hour range and had no valve movement at all. That said, I have rebuilt a few of the motors....not because they needed it, because my OCD got the best of me. Each of which were in amazing shape.

Personally, I say check them often. It's easy to do and the consequences of a valve head snapping off is undesirable.

Edited by mxr73