2011 CRF450R Handling

I have a 2011 CRF450R that I primarily use for hare scrambles/woods. 

I've been having issues with handling on my bike, particularly with it feeling busy/twitchy. The suspension has been revalved for woods/MX combo for previous owner (same weight 210lbs and about same skill level). 

Springs are 0.50kg front, and 5.9kg rear. I checked the sag recently and I was at ~125mm. I know I should be around 105-108mm sag but I can't get my top preload ring to break loose. 

The top of my fork tubes are flush with the top of the triple clamp. 

Can I get more stability with clicker adjustments? Is there another issue that's causing this? 

Thanks for any help! 

7 hours ago, MXandSXracer21 said:

I have a 2011 CRF450R that I primarily use for hare scrambles/woods. 

I've been having issues with handling on my bike, particularly with it feeling busy/twitchy. The suspension has been revalved for woods/MX combo for previous owner (same weight 210lbs and about same skill level). 

Springs are 0.50kg front, and 5.9kg rear. I checked the sag recently and I was at ~125mm. I know I should be around 105-108mm sag but I can't get my top preload ring to break loose. 

The top of my fork tubes are flush with the top of the triple clamp. 

Can I get more stability with clicker adjustments? Is there another issue that's causing this? 

Thanks for any help! 

Assuming by "busy" you mean noticeable suspension oscillation (opposite of a pogo stick/ricocheting) Speed up your rebound (counter clockwise). You could also stiffen the LSC adjuster which would provide a similar but different result. 

Edited by KtmNoob69

I have a merge knuckle that I'd sell, if your interested send me a pm.  I had FC due the suspension on a 10 model & they have excellent specs for mx use on the 09-12 CRF450r's.  FC modifies the rear shock so I never ended up using the aftermarket Merge knuckle since it wasn't needed.  With the stock valving & heavier springs I did feel the rear end was a little twitchy.  The aftermarket knuckle helps if you haven't had any shock modification.  

https://www.mergeracing.com/product/link-knuckle-00-084/

Your sag is way off & needs to be between 100-110 mm.   I found a good setting for me between 104-106 mm after having the suspension done.     

Edited by H4L

125?!?!?!???
I'd get the sag right before buying any parts. Does the forks compress at all with rider? I'd bet not much, all the weight is in the back. 4 or 5 mm is VERY noticeable on my 06, even for a rookie like me.
I didn't know a bike could be valved for both woods and mx.....probably not great at either.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert

Mog, what do you mean by "shake"? Not headshake I presume? Would seem the rear should feel very "loose"?

13 hours ago, MXandSXracer21 said:

Thanks GDI70! I had also been considering a set of 22mm triple clamps. Will that make a positive effect also in terms of better stability? 

Do I need only the dog bone or do I need the triangular part as well?

I believe it was simply the knuckle, or pivot.  I would go to the honda dealer and find out for sure.  It's been a while, but most of the riders had found it to be a good solution at a reasonable price, to improve the older crf450  chassis. 

There were so many riders with modded 450s that didn't have to rush out to buy new bikes with this upgrade.