Hay farm field+17' 500 RR-S = F-U-N!

The math is simple.  Have a brother in-law buy some land where he can raise herds of Black Angus cattle to the highest standard possible-so that come slaughter time one can buy a 1/2 share so there is (fresh) beef to enjoy the remainder of the year.  Have enough of the land on the adjoining hillside to have someone clear the trees and stumps and grade out the trail so that a 4x4 can travel it but more importantly, dirt bikes can ride the road.  Give it a full summer of no riding on it to allow the weeds and grasses to grow to keep both the dust and erosion at bay and to also give great traction.   Then the hay field  is cut for the last time of the season and ground clearance is issued to us to rip as hard as one wants across the 3/4 mile long hay field and it sets up a great fall dirt biking time.   We get a dry, private ,VIRGIN woods switchback trail, then a grass field to do what we want in.  Heaven on earth to dirt bike riders.   

I have my bike and my nephew in-law's KLX 125.  My 11 yo riding partner, Sam, just learned how to use the clutch last spring and the bike has been a great learner-bike for him and when he is at WOT on the field, he is at 41-42 mph and having a blast.  He yearns for the day he can ride the YZ 125 that his father has waiting for him.  I tell him he'll be growing fast and maybe in the next few years, he'll be big enough to ride it as his 13yo brother is big enough to probably ride it but he's not into riding dirtbikes.  

I'll continue this as I have to actually do some work, at work.  There is my riding partner for the past couple of days.  

P1120962.JPG

The main base looking down from the very top of the hay field.  

P1120963.JPG

The other end, looking down at the hay field.  The beauty is that there are no roots, rocks or even really any ruts from the tractors and equipment that rolls over the field.  We did our best with our bikes to aerate the soil to promote better growth for the next seasons growth-ha!  What a beautiful country.  

P1120964.JPG

The space we/I had to go WOT in every gear was tremendous.  As all of us who dual-sport our bikes must know is that riding on the road is one thing where the asphalt provides 100% traction but just about no fun.  When on the grass and @ WOT in 3rd through 6th gear, my gosh, the ability to hang-on really comes to life and my arms were cramped after so many WOT runs.  Out in the open, the 500 RR-S is truly beastly and again and forevermore, I will not need more power than the beast has although, I'm probably going to order a quicker turning G2 throttle as part of the forearm fatigue/armpump I was getting was from holding the throttle wide-open.  Having a quicker throttle would be great and I'll see if I can find one in the aluminum tube as well.  Never mind the rolling hills that had me powerwheelying from anywhere above 30-60 mph, it was maniacal and hella-fun.  

P1120954.JPG

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

Wow! What beautiful country. Brings back good memories of riding with the kids. Enjoy!

As a bonus, I drove that former Army truck with a flatbed trailer behind it and 10 hay rolls from one farm to another.   What fun, no power steering at all.  A real man's truck for sure.  I will say that there is no sound dampening at all on that setup.  It was ungodly loud going up all the hills I had to go up at no more than 20 mph.  I suppose in a war, slow and steady wins the war.  I'm sure too, that a truck like that could have been a big help in the places where either Jose or Irma hit as it can go in some high water if needed.  Army-issue.  

Those front windows of the windshield were great during the day as it was hot out on Saturday, but once the sun started to set in the mountains/hills, the bugs came out and I got blasted by more bugs than I ever cared for.  Thankfully I had my sunglasses to use and enough light to see that night. 

The other crazy part, the house on that farm plot is empty.  No one lives in it at all.  

P1120977.JPG

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 1

Hey Ben side question, did you put the white plastics on with graphics? Looks sick. I thought you had a 17'

1 hour ago, NW_drZ said:

Hey Ben side question, did you put the white plastics on with graphics? Looks sick. I thought you had a 17'

I'm glad you ask(ed). 

When my 2017 was almost done this past February-I finally got it on 02/22/2017, I got an email from Frank at Beta.  He said that they were out of the 2017 graphics and gave me a choice of any one of the other 2017 graphic sets or any of the 2016 graphics.  As I had ordered the white plastic set I almost had him leave the bike just white with no graphics but decided on the 2016 RS graphics.  

I'm not a graphics guy.  I take off just about all the decals/badges on everything I own.  It just so happens for like the very first time ever, that the 2016 RS graphics on the white plastics  happens to look good and, I think, even great.  The graphics have totally grown on me and as there are very few that went with a white plastic set with the 2016 (RS) graphics, it doesn't look like any bike that can be found on the Beta site so the uniqueness is nice.   I thank my lucky stars that they didn't have the 2017 RR-S graphics as I don't like them at all.  

P1120960.JPG

P1120973.JPG

P1120957.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I'm glad you ask(ed). 

When my 2017 was almost done this past February-I finally got it on 02/22/2017, I got an email from Frank at Beta.  He said that they were out of the 2017 graphics and gave me a choice of any one of the other 2017 graphic sets or any of the 2016 graphics.  As I had ordered the white plastic set I almost had him leave the bike just white with no graphics but decided on the 2016 RS graphics.  

I'm not a graphics guy.  I take off just about all the decals/badges on everything I own.  It just so happens for like the very first time ever, that the 2016 RS graphics on the white plastics  happens to look good and, I think, even great.  The graphics have totally grown on me and as there are very few that went with a white plastic set with the 2016 (RS) graphics, it doesn't look like any bike that can be found on the Beta site so the uniqueness is nice.   I thank my lucky stars that they didn't have the 2017 RR-S graphics as I don't like them at all.  

P1120960.JPG

P1120973.JPG

P1120957.JPG

Awesome man.. Ya yours looks super clean and subtle.. I'm the same way, don't like crazy looking graphics.  Nice job on it.

Ben, what kind of SUV is that? FWD, AWD? I am in a Yukon now but prefer something smaller. What do you do regarding carrying gas cans, that is the only thing making me still consider a truck?

15 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Ben, what kind of SUV is that? FWD, AWD? I am in a Yukon now but prefer something smaller. What do you do regarding carrying gas cans, that is the only thing making me still consider a truck?

It's a 2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel.  AWD.  3.0L Turbocharged V6.  30 mpg+ highway and I don't think I've ever seen less than 27 mpg in combined driving.  It is/has been an incredible machine.  WARNING!:  Do not buy the truck if you do not want a vehicle that handles better than any other truck/SUV out there, never mind sport coupes or sedans.  You will NOT like it at all.  

I was part of the whole VW DieselGate scandal and VW bought the 2012 Touareg I had, back for more than I bought it for after having used it for 3.5 years and 40,000 miles.  It was like I won the motor vehicle lottery with how it all went down and I'm still owed almost $6K.  If the Gen2 buyback is triggered, I'd be stupid to not take the money as I'd be getting wayyyyyy more than I paid for the truck I have right now.  

I had checked out every single pickup truck and SUV, and I mean every single one, that could tow at least 7,000 lbs, I had to go with the Cayenne and would do it again if I had to get another truck.  The best part is it can tow 7,700 lbs and has a 716 lb tongue weight so the Beta on the VersaHaul is no problem and the truck rides so nice with the bike on its hitch rack as the shocks/springs stay in their sweet spot.  

I get 15.5 mpg towing the boat that goes 7,000 lbs between the boat and trailer.  With the bike on the back and the hatch loaded up with all our stuff for a weekend I'm at 26.5 mpg and with the snowomobile trailer 22.5 mpg.  I know why VW cheated with their 3.0L turbodiesel powerplant, because it is a fantastic motor.  

P1110185.JPG

Oh yeah, for gas cans, see the middle of the VersaHaul, there is another receiver built in that can take another, either trailer or, about 200 lb hitch rack/stuff.  

Here is how it shakes out;  The Versahaul can handle up to 500 lbs.  With the Beta on it, there is 300 lbs right there.  I have another hitch rack from Harbor Freight that I put on the stinger and strap the gas can(s) into that if I need to worry about extra fuel as I can put another 200 lbs of whatever I want in the stinger no problem or, if I wanted to, I could tow my snowmobile trailer on the end of it as well.  It is a handy piece of kit.  

For the most part, in all the riding that I do, I'm never really in any kind of area where I/we'd ride more than the 80 miles of range that the bike has so I almost never worry about or even bring a fuel can, and, as I have a dual sport, if there is a station nearby, I'll just go and ride to it to fill up.  I'm never really far from civilization up in my neck of the woods.  As you are in TX, you may need a lot more fuel than I ever use for a day.  

If I ever do go with my one riding buddy,  I'll use the snowmobile trailer to haul both our bikes so bringing a fuel can is no problem at all that way.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

Hey, Ben, just curious. What tires are you running? I just replaced my OEM rear with a 120/90 Dunlop AT81. Going to Co Durango and Gunnison area on Sunday, so I should be able to tell how good this tire is. Reviews look good. I was actually pretty pleased with the OEM tires, but they aren't available in the US.

I also got the 110/90 AT81 as it was 1 in smaller in diameter than the 120. However, it just looked to "puny" and I could not put it on for my Co trip! Ha! I will try it in my home NM mountain area after the winter to see what I think. Will be nice to be even lower, as long as the traction remains good. I can still almost flat foot the 120 with full tread, so I will likely stay with the 120 as a long term option.

I also thought about the Michelin Starcross, but the Dunlop had a rebate...and being the cheapskate I am.........ha again!

Dirt Bike magazine rated the Pirelli Scorpion Pro the best dirt DOT tire.  I'm one that doesn't give a single whit about on-road performance in any aspect of this bike.  That I can ride it on the street is enough.   I want(ed) a 100% off road tire but DOT.  I followed their rating and got a set of them and put a 140 on the rear at right around 1,000 miles.  The OEM Michelin was just ok.  Even when new the tire was just borderline in the mud and sand.  The Pirelli Scorpion is tremendous.  I have ridden it in mud.  Mud puddles up to the middle of the bike/just over the airbox, deep sand, no problem at all and most importantly, it gives me the full confidence to go into anything knowing that between the power of the Beta and the rear tire, I'm getting through, up, over, and out just about anything I want or need to.  

I had 2 CR500's until 2009.  An 85 and a 96.  After having tried about every rear tire out there as I had no trouble spinning rear tires all day long, I had found that the Pirelli tire I had stuck with was both the longest lasting and had the same tread design as the rear tire I have on the Beta now.  The rear tire has almost 500 miles and at least 300 of them are off-road and the tire is still in great shape.  I'll never use anything else.  

I have the matching front tire but as the OEM Michelin front is still hanging on, I just can't get myself to swap it out until it is spent.  

I just realized after having read my own thread, that I need a G2 Quick Turn Throttle.  I just ordered a G2-one along with the Jimmy Twister for the smoothest, fastest throttle action I can get.  I will be so looking forward to the first twist with a quick turn throttle. 

Edited by Ben500RR-S

Thanks guys. The Sedona 907 sure has an interesting tread pattern. Fun to have something unusual! And good price.

Ben, I had heard many good things about the Scorpion Pro as well as that it also is DOT rated. However, me being the retired cheapskate that I am, I am having a hard time ponying up $40-60 more bucks for a pair over other well regarded tires like the Dunlop AT81 (which I know is not street legal).

So I have installed the AT81 and now have run it along with the OEM front tire on several rides. Seems really good so far. I will really put it to the test in Colorado next week (week long trail riding trip!). AT81 even seems more stable on the road than the OEM Michelin. However, I always ride extremely conservative with these dirt bike tires on the road. No big lean angles, slow stopping, and generally stay below 65 mph.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Interesting on the G2 quick throttle. I have the G2 Dirt Tamer that if you order directly from G2 they have a Beta 500 RR-S specific cam profile. I really dig the ability to ration power on gnarly trails instead of having the big dog get me in trouble by laying down  to much power when I really don't want it!

One other note for me. I had the engine map switch installed and I eventually took it off. Always had it in the "dry" mode anyway. Now that I have the outstanding Aussie Clake Clutch One installed, I can meter out power in  micro increments. That Clake clutch is unbelievably cool. Amazing to me that something like this is not really catching on in the industry for trail riding.