Removing oil from forks

Probably a stupid question but I was checking the oil level in my forks just going through them and my air space seemed really high, so I removed enough oil to bring both forks back down to 110mm. This is on a 2013 ktm 300xcw open chamber forks. I was thinking afterwards are you suppose to fill them up all the way before removing fluid? Or can you just suck out the oil? Thanks

Perfect thanks, I was just wondering cuz I removed the forks and backed off all the clickers and was wondering if when I inverted the forks if I drained out the inner cartridge, I'm still learning when it comes to suspension.

With the open chambers you should always pull the outer tubes to the top and back down (dumping any oil in the gap back to the main oil space ) then also pull the damper rod up and down to ensure its smooth and consistent. If they were unbolted from the bike it's unessassery as they have been vertical

Well I flipped them upside down to back off the compression clickers, and when when I opened them up I did check the damper rod it just seemed weird that the oil level was so high wanted to make sure.