Ktm 450

I bought an 03 ktm 450 smr back in October of last year. Bike has been built with a new top end and full tune. This bike runs extremely well but I'm having two issues.

1- in 4th and 5th gear topping the bike out on high end it's sucking the bowl dry. I've tried re positioning the float needle perch and have reached that point of just under flow over. WHAT'S MY NEXT OPTION

2- this bike is very stubborn to crank after warm up. I know there is a compression lever to which I use to help in an easier cranking method. I would like to know what works for you guys when it come to cranking a kick starter only bike.

Again Thank you guys in advance. #TTRULES

20170917_182634.jpegthe beast

on the carb many companies out there have "power bowls" that allow for more fuel and also give you a means to tune the jet in the bowl that controls the spray of fuel with the accel pump.  The jets are replacable but making it tunable can help with tuning.

On the starting i can't say that i really know too much about the RFS motor but you might have better luck posting in the ktm forum.  My bikes are RF4 motors(what replaced that one) which have a hot start lever on the carb.  I dont know what carb that came with but in general you use the hot start lever(on the bars on the later carb bikes but older bikes from that period had a red knob on the carb like the choke).  This leans them out and makes them easier to start.  If your carb doesn't have a hot start on it i really don't know what to tell you besides maybe check the valves.  If they are too tight cold its possible that you just aren't getting enough fuel/air mix during kicking to fire.

• Like 1

Both of my 450s when cold I open the throttle for the count of three then kick over slowly a few times to get the fuel through then one to 2 kicks. Both my bikes when warm are easy one to 2 kick. Try using your hot start (the red pull tab on the carb) and if this helps then you need to due some carb work. Is the ACC pump on the carb working correctly?

• Like 1