2017 FX 350 vs. KTM XCF

I'm trying to find some info on the 2017 FX 350 vs. 2017 KTM 350. I was originally going to pull the trigger on a KTM, but I'm starting to dig the look of the Husky's. I'm thinking about picking up a leftover, but haven't been able to nail down what the differences actually are. Anyone know what the differences are, or if there is a good article on them? I've found one for 2016, but nothing on the 2017 or 2018's. 

Outside of the composite subframe on the Husqvarna they are virtually the same bike. Husqvarna didn't make a 350FX in 16, but the 16 KTM XCF came with 4cs forks, not my first choice... 

Assume also the KTM uses progressive rate spring  (PDS) suspension on the rear, whereas Husky uses straight rate spring (linked) rear suspension. 

You wouldn't go wrong with either bike.

21 minutes ago, markbfe501 said:

Assume also the KTM uses progressive rate spring  (PDS) suspension on the rear, whereas Husky uses straight rate spring (linked) rear suspension. 

You wouldn't go wrong with either bike.

On the XCF, no... 

• Like 1

Test rode a fx 350 demo Saturday on ten miles of mountain singletrack. Holy moly i am in love. I shouldnt have done that. I have a 16 500 exc and now it feels like going back to a drz 400 in comparison

2 hours ago, Monk said:

On the XCF, no... 

Well, sure enough.  Learned something new! Looks like it's mainly down to colors . . .

Edited by markbfe501

The 17 and 18 have new motor (counter balanced) on the 2t bikes. The frame is also new in the 17 and 18 bikes. They really did their homework on the new frame! I have a 18 TX300 and  compared to my 15 350, it's 10x better  handling and turning. You also get the ARE suspension on the new bikes and that hands down is the best suspension right out of the box!! I think they change the internal gearing too. I'm very happy with the close ratio 6 speed for woods! 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, Monk said:

Outside of the composite subframe on the Husqvarna they are virtually the same bike. Husqvarna didn't make a 350FX in 16, but the 16 KTM XCF came with 4cs forks, not my first choice... 

I thought the Husky's were a bit softer on the power delivery vs. the KTM counterpart.

12 hours ago, weantright said:

I thought the Husky's were a bit softer on the power delivery vs. the KTM counterpart.

The motors are exactly the same, as are the TB and ecu, ACCEPT, the Husky has a restrictive airbox and map to match, so the power deliver is slightly slower. 

Open the box, change the map, and they are virtually identical.

Edited by THE KRAN
  • Like 1

I was just going to get on here and ask about opening up the air box on a 17 fx 350.  I bought one and love it.  My last bike was a 14 yz250f and that bike was incredible too but I wanted to street legal it and it was just easier to buy a husky or ktm.  My dealer had a demo with 14.5 hours on it so 17 fx350 it was.  The first thing I noticed when I started it up the first time was that it sounded like it was starving to get air (maybe due in part to the silencer still having the baffle but mostly I think it is just a very tightly sealed air box).  The second thing I noticed when I took it up the road was my yz actually felt like it had a bit more bottom end.  I bought a 13t front sprocket and that helped A LOT in the woods.  The stock 14 was VERY tall in first gear.  When I was installing my Tusk street legal kit I also noticed how restricted the air box really was (holy crap) hardly a noticeable slot for air to get in.  Anybody have pics of how they "opened" their air box up?  If I do open my air box is it really going to help that much if I don't get some different maps?  I think I'm going to remove my baffle too.  Again, I really love this bike.  I think it handles better than my yz.  The yz always seemed to want to loose the front end and stand up in ruts.  The husky has a very confident inspiring "planted" front end.  My yz seemed to be "quicker" though.  I was really hoping for a 250f destroyer and it might be if I can uncork that bottom end a little.   Oh and as for suspension.  I'm 220 the the yz after one size up on the rear spring was perfect.  The husky "feels" great but my sag is at 5".  The yz had a more "pillow" feel than the husky but the husky has a very "soft, consistent" feel.  That's about the best I can describe it.

40 minutes ago, rider300 said:

I was just going to get on here and ask about opening up the air box on a 17 fx 350.  I bought one and love it.  My last bike was a 14 yz250f and that bike was incredible too but I wanted to street legal it and it was just easier to buy a husky or ktm.  My dealer had a demo with 14.5 hours on it so 17 fx350 it was.  The first thing I noticed when I started it up the first time was that it sounded like it was starving to get air (maybe due in part to the silencer still having the baffle but mostly I think it is just a very tightly sealed air box).  The second thing I noticed when I took it up the road was my yz actually felt like it had a bit more bottom end.  I bought a 13t front sprocket and that helped A LOT in the woods.  The stock 14 was VERY tall in first gear.  When I was installing my Tusk street legal kit I also noticed how restricted the air box really was (holy crap) hardly a noticeable slot for air to get in.  Anybody have pics of how they "opened" their air box up?  If I do open my air box is it really going to help that much if I don't get some different maps?  I think I'm going to remove my baffle too.  Again, I really love this bike.  I think it handles better than my yz.  The yz always seemed to want to loose the front end and stand up in ruts.  The husky has a very confident inspiring "planted" front end.  My yz seemed to be "quicker" though.  I was really hoping for a 250f destroyer and it might be if I can uncork that bottom end a little.   Oh and as for suspension.  I'm 220 the the yz after one size up on the rear spring was perfect.  The husky "feels" great but my sag is at 5".  The yz had a more "pillow" feel than the husky but the husky has a very "soft, consistent" feel.  That's about the best I can describe it.

Opening the airbox isn't going to be some mind blowing experience. There will be a slight improvement. The YZF is incredibly strong off idle and off the bottom. Shortly thereafter the 350 rolls by and never looks back...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rider300 said:

I have the YZ250F and just bought an FC350. Not sure how different the FC is from the FX, but I can sort of seem what you are talking about. I think a lot of it is the 14+ YZ250F revs so incredibly fast. It feels like a built race bike, even stock (as far as how quickly it gets going off of idle). The 350 doesn't rev as fast as the 250f but does rev a little lighter than say a 450. I find that if I use 2nd gear for most turns (1st if it is really tight), the bike gets going very quickly. And just run the gear out. I forget where I saw it (probably MXA though), but the 350 is making like 5hp more than a  250f pretty early in the curve and then it grows as the revs build. I also have experienced what felt like the bike was maybe 'less exciting' than my 250F, only to be overjumping stuff that I would not be on my 250f (on the same familiar track, of course). I think the Husky is almost so smooth all-around, that it sorta masks how fast it is. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I believe it to be true.

Also, my friend rides a '17 FX350 and is an A-rider for National Enduro and AWRCS. I can ask him anything you may be wondering. He owns the dealer than I bought my bike off of and he knows these bikes in and out.

3 hours ago, rider300 said:

and other side same thing  (its the tray you are drilling not subframe)

s1200_20170325_115440.jpg

pic taken from vitalmx

Edited by slothy

I would wait to see what the 2019 models are gonna be like now... they have released some info.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:26 PM, slothy said:

and other side same thing  (its the tray you are drilling not subframe)

s1200_20170325_115440.jpg

pic taken from vitalmx

Just keep in mind this mod is NOT AMA legal for MX racing! AMA has issued a release on this and are checking if prompt/protested.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, weantright said:

Just keep in mind this mod is NOT AMA legal for MX racing! AMA has issued a release on this and are checking if prompt/protested.

:huh: