2017 conversion To 04 frame

Weird question but would it be possible to convert all the parts from a 2017 yz 250 to an 04 frame ? I like the way the steel frame yzs handle compare to aluminum . Plus it would give me something to do this winter. haha . Thanks guy

I believe the steering stops on the frame won't line-up with the stops on the lower triple clamp, but it can be modified to work, so it's not a deal-breaker.

Keep us in the loop with what you do. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaptDan said:

I believe the steering stops on the frame won't line-up with the stops on the lower triple clamp, but it can be modified to work, so it's not a deal-breaker.

Keep us in the loop with what you do. :thumbsup:

If that is the biggest issue it doesn't sound too bad. I could just get 04 lower clamps or a set of RG3's. Now just have to find a clean 04 frame  

1 hour ago, rr558 said:

If that is the biggest issue it doesn't sound too bad. I could just get 04 lower clamps or a set of RG3's. Now just have to find a clean 04 frame  

Only difference in an 02 - 04 frame is the rear brake reservoir for the 02. So, look for 02-04 and if you get the 02, cut the reservoir tab off.

Heck, if you don't do titles in IL, I have a non titled 02 frame I will sell yah. So, you could cut the tab off, and weld a bigger stopper onto the front so it would work with the other triples. Paint or PC before assembly.

Let me know if you're interested, could be 75 + to ship from So-Cal. 

The only difference I can think of not already mentioned is the steel frames use a smaller diameter front linkage bolt, with different bearing sleeves.

You can make the steering stopper larger on the steel frame then use any triples meant for an alum frame.

The 04 steel frame has a different (neater/better) way of mounting the CDI. Needs a rubber boot part.

I think the 04 frame feels stiffer than an 02. 2003-04 look much beefier around the top tube too.

• Like 1

Doing something similar as I recently purchased a 2002 and just stripped the bike down.  Next week it gets the steering stop mod and then off for powder coat (interested if anybody has suggestion on colors -- I have heard "Bentley Blue" is a pretty good match).  I will mount clamps from 2014 YZ250 -- but SSS forks from a YZ450.  I was considering updating the swing arm as well from YZ250F. 

Edited by kgurries

1 hour ago, kgurries said:

Doing something similar as I recently purchased a 2002 and just stripped the bike down.  Next week it gets the steering stop mod and then off for powder coat (interested if anybody has suggestion on colors -- I have heard "Bentley Blue" is a pretty good match).  I will mount clamps from 2014 YZ250 -- but SSS forks from a YZ450.  I was considering updating the swing arm as well from YZ250F. 

This is the blue I am using now. It's Electric sparkle dormant blue. 

IMG_6548.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgurries said:

I was considering updating the swing arm as well from YZ250F.

If the goal is higher performance, then I would not bother. I think the stiff swingarm is good on the steel frames.

The 04 lower triple clamp won't work. Different forks between your 17 and 04. You only need the steering stem and press them into your 17 clamps.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, asian195 said:

The 04 lower triple clamp won't work. Different forks between your 17 and 04. You only need the steering stem and press them into your 17 clamps.

Did something change between 2010 and 17 in the upper fork tube size?

I often swap between 2004 and 2010 forks. It means I also need to swap the axle+spacers and brake caliper hanger, but otherwise no problem.  The 2004 forks are the rare 48mm OC forks. They're great in the bush with the right springs and valving.

Edited by numroe

The 2004 forks are the rare 48mm OC forks. They're great in the bush with the right springs and valving.

This i did not know. Should be ok then.

Wonder if it would be worth it to try a 04 frame and swap all my 18 250x parts over. We'll see maybe in a year or 2. Only do woods racing

Wonder if it would be worth it to try a 04 frame and swap all my 18 250x parts over. We'll see maybe in a year or 2. Only do woods racing

If you can get one cheap and have the time for the project then I think yes. The 02 frame might be better. It's softer than 03-04. Vs your alum frame I think anyone would notice the extra comfort and control in a few minutes.

From what I remember reading years back, the 2002 was more rigid than the 2003-2004. Only one magazine talked about it. Don't recall which one. Now from riding experience, I definitely preferred my 2004 over my 2007. I never rode a 2002, so I'm not sure if it felt stiffer or not.

Let me rethink this. I'm positive that the 2002 was more rigid than the 2003-2004, at least according to what the mags said. I believe more than one mag talked about it. It was the 2005 aluminum frame that got slight changes that only one mag talked about years back.

Your memory is not wrong the 02 frame was slightly stiffer. I had an 02 yz 125 brand new and I never noticed it but I had a 01 cr125 the year before. 

But I have no problem with my 06's feeling stiff 125 or 250 they feel like my 02 did. I think it's more a placebo effect. 

Edited by SmokinJoe
  • Like 1