Front tire change...3 tubes already punctured

If been trying to get a Sedona tire on my front wheel and so far I've punctured 3 tubes. What am I doing wrong here? I've watched several YouTube videos and these guys make it look like a piece of cake. When I put the first lip in the well, the tire won't move freely. The tube will then bulge out and I can barely get the spoon around it. I just had this wheel trued at the shop. Getting very frustrated and I don't know what the problem is. 

Lube tire beads. Some use liquid dish soap, others use Windex others use other stuff.

Once one bead is in the rim well, put just enough air in the tube to give it some shape. Insert into the tire.

Lubed bead, start just to the side of the valve and roll the bead in. You should not of needed spoons at all until the tire is at least half way on. Ensure the bead where you started in deep into the rim well. Roll the tire in. Sometimes you have to massage it a little. Spoons only need to go in far enough to 'hook' the bead. The key is rolling the bead in, sometimes just some thumb pressure is all that is needed.

Practice/technique. 

Put a little bit of air in the tube before you start spooning the tire on - enough to give the tube some structure/shape so it doesn't fold under the irons.  Also helps with twisting inside the tire on installation. 

FWIW, I don't use any lube on the bead, and i'm running pretty stiff dualsport tires.  I can go rideable to rideable, front and rears swapped, in about 2 hours.  Technique and practice. :prof:

IMG_20170423_170521187_HDR-L.jpg

One other thing I've always done when spooning on a tire. When the spoon is in position, and just starting to leverage, there will be a small gap between the bead and rim edge, just enough to get a finger in the gap, so as to feel if the tube is being pinched by the spoon. If necessary, it can be pushed away to prevent a pinch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Great with tires but you need to work on those hand guards, they should be level. ?

While they may be called "hand guards" they are really there to protect the levers and perch's and if he runs his controls tilted down for a straighter reach while standing then his guards are perfectly positioned.

• Like 2

Great with tires but you need to work on those hand guards, they should be level. [emoji6]

Every time I see hand guards like that I cringe.

OP, lots of windex and shove the tube into the tire with a little air in it, just to give it slight shape. Feed the valve through the rim hole and use the nut slighty threaded on to it to prevent it from pulling out. I prefer spoons to tire irons. Easier to sneak in for those last couple bites.

4 hours ago, Pastmyprime214 said:

The first lip is tough to push on by hand. I at least have to get one spoon in to pop the bead on. Once it's on, there's no moving it around. Could it be the tire? It's a Sedona MX880ST.  

I put the tube in the tire with out the valve in and pump with air so the tube just fills the tire.

Then with the rim lock in the rim and the nut loose, I line the hole for the valve up in front of me, hold the lower bead just into the rim enough so I can push the valve through the hole and put the nut on finger tight.

Then spray the crap out of the whole tire and rim with soapy water.

Then working the lower bead into the rim while pushing the bead/tire into the center of the rim with my knee, work the lower bead on to the rim and over the rim lock then around into the rim with a spoon or iron (no way this is going completely on by hand). IMO getting the first bead on should be as easy as it gets but you might need to pull it up into the center of the rim for the last few inches.

Then starting at the rim lock, I push the bolt into the tire so I can start the bead into the rim and work push in the outer bead into the rim, then start with a couple of irons and a spoon to work the bead into the rim respraying with soapy water as need and making sure the bead is down in the center of the rim and before I get the last of the bead into the rim, make sure the rim lock is still moving freely in the tire.

I'm slightly bored but way too complicated to explain but it took me a few times and I can now get a new tire on a rim in about 10mins max.

Otherwise I use this vid.

• Like 2

In the future I'm buying a better tire. With the cost of the tire plus the 3 tubes, I could've bought something easier. The bead on this thing is tough as nails. 

With that said, I have finally been able to get the tire on the rim and the tube seems to be holding air. However, the bead isn't seating evenly. What's a safe psi to go up to to try and get it to seat? Any tricks on this?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pastmyprime214 said:

In the future I'm buying a better tire. With the cost of the tire plus the 3 tubes, I could've bought something easier. The bead on this thing is tough as nails. 

With that said, I have finally been able to get the tire on the rim and the tube seems to be holding air. However, the bead isn't seating evenly. What's a safe psi to go up to to try and get it to seat? Any tricks on this?

Congrats Dawg ! Spray some windex or soapy water around the bead. Should POP quite easily.   Just like the xxxx next door.

• Like 2

Maybe try dish soap and water, dip your finger in it and and apply all the way around. She's ready to pop ... Lol

Next time get the tire nice and warm, maybe stick outside in the sun, bed of truck, or take a blow dryer to it.  You'll be amazed at how well that works when mounting the tire, especially in the winter.  Much more pliable and easy to work with.  Spoons are great but can pinch.  I like to have one flat iron, for the last few bites.  Make sure you always push the bead in as far as possible on the opposite/ and under side of where your working. 

7 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

I would put the air at 15-20psi and install the wheel on the bike. Then ride it around a little, slowly of course. I'll bet it pops out to the rim. Has worked for me. I have always found front tires the worst to install. Good luck.

Thats a good trick, if all else fails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastmyprime214 said:

Seems my tires don't seat unless I use at least 40lbs psi. I woundn't be afraid to hit 60 psi if needed to seat the tire. Having the bead still lubed (final shot of windex) helps pop it in nicely. Having an air compressor is good. If using a tire pump you will need a little more pressure to get it to seat. I'd be peeved at myself if I pinched 3 tubes just putting on a single tire.

The video filterx posted is pretty much my bible for tire changing. I'm no where near as fast; on the other hand I'm no where slow as I use to be at tire changing.

Chances are your pinched tires were due to going in too deep with the spoons. My Dunlop MX32 rear tire is super stiff too. I like the feel of the MX32 on the track so it is worth the extra effort changing the tire.

23 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

I would put the air at 15-20psi and install the wheel on the bike. Then ride it around a little, slowly of course. I'll bet it pops out to the rim. Has worked for me. I have always found front tires the worst to install. Good luck.

Funny, I can change the front pretty easy. The rear is a struggle with the bead at the end quite a bit.

• Like 1