2001 DRZ400E to part out?

I have a 2007 DRZ400S and a guy I know has an 01 DRZ400E with the left case broken from the chain breaking.  He's willing to sell the 01 DRZ400E for $500 and it is in pretty rough shape. I wouldn't mind having a few spare parts, a spare set of wheels and the carb since it is an FCR. 

Is this a good deal or should I just pick up the rims and carb for $200?  Can I recoup my $500 by parting it out?

As always, thanks for any replies.  

• Like 2

sounds like a headache to me .. im sure you could part it out and get your money back though but all your really gaining imo is the carb which im sure you'll rebuild .. be alot easier just to buy a new one instead of going through all that lol ..

Forks are different. Wire harness is different. Most everything else is the same.

I once had a really nice KDX200. I was offered a non-running bike and I thought to myself "why not part it, clean it, tag and bag it and I can have my very own parts department. So I did. I had an extra everything. I think the only part ever used was the fuel tank - the rest was dragged to the junk yard some 6 years after I sold the bike. Turns out I'm much better buying things I don't need then selling things I don't want.

Actually, forks are the same. At $500, you can't get hurt. The wheel set along will sell for that. If you have the time, you could make a few bucks parting it out.

Wheels and carb are the valuable parts. If you can get them for $200, do that. Selling the balance for $300+ might be a challenge.

2 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

Actually, forks are the same. At $500, you can't get hurt. The wheel set along will sell for that. If you have the time, you could make a few bucks parting it out.

2001 forks are different from 2007. 

12 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

2001 forks are different from 2007. 

No, not E model forks. All E model forks are cartridge type. Only 2000-2001 S model forks are damper rod.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm waiting for a few more specific pictures I requested.  So we'll see. I wouldn't mind the time spent to part it out as I think it would be a valuable lesson for me.  

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 10:05 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

I may have an OSHC available to negotiate with...

Those are a premium, for sure. :cool:

• Like 1