Truman Sparks

This is why I only ride in the dirt.

64 posts in this topic

I get beat up riding offroad, the consequences on pavement are usually far more severe. I gave up the pavement many years ago after a couple close calls none of my doing. Just lost my mental comfort level and can't relax and enjoy the ride.

3 people like this

I seen where somebody died in a car crash too. Better sell your car and start walking everywhere. 

9 people like this

Im not gonna buy into the fear mongering, and end up scared to live. I did a cross country trip last year on my bike, 9,200 miles. Best trip of my life. By Far. 

9 people like this

Riding on the road is not smart. THE SKILL OF THE RIDER DOES NOT PLAY INTO HOW BAD OF A DRIVER THE PEOPLE ARE AROUND YOU ARE, THEY CAN KILL YOU.

2 people like this

40 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

A very bright young man you are 312.

If that were true, he would have saw it, instead of "seen" it. 

2 people like this

41 minutes ago, jcross312 said:

I seen where somebody died in a car crash too. Better sell your car and start walking everywhere. 

Agree. Also quit riding bicycles, crossing roads on foot, and eating fast food.

3 people like this

Pick your places..country,no traffic,don't speed around like an idiot and take it easy and cruise and enjoy the ride..you can land on your head in the dirt and break your neck very easy..Ive been doing both for a long time and would never give up street riding..Its so easy to go for a ride..Its 7pm right now,wife is at baseball,kids are doing there own thing and Im out the door in a few minutes..I'll go a couple hrs,cool off,grab a coffee,look at some chicky's..you dirt only guys can go stare at your bike:ride:

5 people like this

23 minutes ago, KTM_rider_EK_17 said:

Riding on the road is not smart. THE SKILL OF THE RIDER DOES NOT PLAY INTO HOW BAD OF A DRIVER THE PEOPLE ARE AROUND YOU ARE, THEY CAN KILL YOU.

I've been riding pavement for over 30 years.  The close calls I've had only taught me to look out for those kinds of situations.  These days I am not surprised when someone does something stupid around me because I am open to all those possibilities and am constantly planning escape routes.  

It is correct that I cannot control the bad drivers around me but I can be aware of them and take steps to move away from them or to minimize potential issues should they do something stupid.

Dirt riding and street riding are very different sports.  One does not take the place of the other.

10 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Agree. Also quit riding bicycles, crossing roads on foot, and eating fast food.

I also hear that sex is quite a dangerous past time. :o 

8 people like this

46 minutes ago, jcross312 said:

Problem with walkers today is that most of them are looking at their phones and don't even stop to look both ways before they cross the street. Then most people on bicycles don't even stop at stop signs or pay any attention to the rules of the road.

GENERALLY most people are idiots regardless of what they are doing on the road, trails etc and I'm not giving up on things I like to do because of them BUT, I've become way more conscious on what I'm going on motorized vehicles and I'm even way more careful when I'm actually walking or on  bicycle cus IMO if it comes down to and there's an accident with a motor vehicle, the motor vehicle wins every time.

I think between starting to dirt bike 7 years ago and finally getting my street bike license a few years ago (and I'm 57) both have made me more spatially aware and a way better car and overall dirver.

4 people like this

25 minutes ago, 69fastback said:

If that were true, he would have saw it, instead of "seen" it. 

Bbl4mjN.jpg

5 people like this

I met a guy about a week ago at a bar. Started talking and found out the guy lives on a sail boat in Puerto Rico and makes money by selling private cruises around the islands down there.  He flys into Miami occasionally. Rides a harley out from there and has put over 60k miles on it in the past 4 years. Doesnt even own a car he said. Rode to Sturgis and back last year, like 5k miles round trip. Dude is 60 years old, but only looked about 50. I gotta admit, i was a little jealous of his lifestyle. Sounds like a pretty cool life.

4 people like this

Been riding street for 33 years, yeah , I had some close call, as I did in dirt.
I'm not going to stop riding street, cuz I love to do it

5 people like this

Nearly 45 years of street riding, from country roads to NYC. The key to on road survival on a bike (car too) is to accept that every car, parked or moving, is going to deliberately want to hit you. You ride or drive with 110% awareness of this and always be prepared for an alternate move/route.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, jcross312 said:

I met a guy about a week ago at a bar. Started talking and found out the guy lives on a sail boat in Puerto Rico and makes money by selling private cruises around the islands down there.  He flys into Miami occasionally. Rides a harley out from there and has put over 60k miles on it in the past 4 years. Doesnt even own a car he said. Rode to Sturgis and back last year, like 5k miles round trip. Dude is 60 years old, but only looked about 50. I gotta admit, i was a little jealous of his lifestyle. Sounds like a pretty cool life.

IMO part of this does come with experience and that does not always mean age cus I've meet dudes who are my age and don't have a clue about life, then people younger than me who actually get it.

One of the reason I choose to live where I do is life style which I THINK makes me feel younger but how I look and amount of hair is another thing :)

Otherwise, I dirt bike with guys in their 30's and when I get out front (its not a race) but I can usually loose them.

This is my bud on the left in his 30's, I'm on the right and NO we did not co-ordinate wearing the the same shirts to the party :)

59c06556a0543_20170715_1551281.thumb.jpg.17e1d13d16adb78155de222cf955093c.jpg

3 people like this

I've always stuck to racing mx. We all go same direction :p motorcycles are dangerous 

3 people like this

You can't walk either, without getting ran over by Isis
3 people like this

2 hours ago, slowgs2001 said:

You can't walk either, without getting ran over by Isis

Well i was gonna say we can all wrap ourselves in a bubble, but then i saw this.